Lesser Known DC Properties You Want As A Movie?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
With Shazam showing DC-On-Film can be successful without relying on their reliable Bat-shaped safety net, or any of the trinity, we’re going to get Black Adam movie so I wanna ask DC fans here what lesser known DC IP or characters would you think would work as a movie? I for one would dig an Intersellar/Gravity like Challengers Of Unknown. What say you?

Last edited:
I still think a Cold War / McCarthy-era Martian Manhunter film could work extremely well. J’onn is the last survivor of Mars, hiding among humanity as Detective Jones, and is being hunted by jaded seen-it-all King Faraday, agent of the DEO.

J’onn is still gripping with the loss of his people, & struggling to find a new home on Earth until his latest case shows him a more intimate look at true potential of mankind. Give it to a hungry new filmmaker to tackle and make the story their own.

Other potential movies:

The Question, a 70s detective conspiracy story in the vein of Serpico and The Manchurian Candidate.

Booster Gold, a buddy cop film featuring Booster Gold stuck in the 90s from a faraway future where he partners with Ted Kord, genius inventor & amateur crimefighter aka the Blue Beetle.

Static Shock, a present day coming-of-age story about a young man’s journey to hero in an adaptation of the celebrated comic character.

Zatanna, a present day horror comedy. Add some of the zanier elements of DC magic universe like Nabu, Phantom Stranger or Blue Devil, and spell casting by speaking backwards and you’ve got a hit.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head,

Deathstroke (He's got a higher profile since he appeared in the Arrowverse and the JL tease, but I've wanted a movie for him for as long as I can remember)
Power Girl
Hawkgirl
Vigilante (Adrian Chase)
Silencer
Man-Bat

I may come back with some others.

Off the top of my head,

Deathstroke (He's got a higher profile since he appeared in the Arrowverse and the JL tease, but I've wanted a movie for him for as long as I can remember)
Power Girl
Hawkgirl
Vigilante (Adrian Chase)
Silencer
Man-Bat

I may come back with some others.

I could see Deathstroke as an over-the-top action fest like John Wick or Atomic Blonde. Nothing too expensive to make, but solid set pieces intercut with excellent fight choreography.

I could see Deathstroke as an over-the-top action fest like John Wick or Atomic Blonde. Nothing too expensive to make, but solid set pieces intercut with excellent fight choreography.
Definitely on those lines :up:

From the given list of candidates, Hawkman should be seen as the next DC superhero to hit the big screen. I root for him.
Outside of the list, it's Green Arrow for me.

I voted other because I want a Nightwing movie like crazy. But I would also love to see JL Dark if it’s done well.

How about Firestorm? If WB/DC can get a Firestorm character/film in the works quickly, then that might just be able to hold one over the MCU's Human Torch, providing the film is a hit of course. I know the character played a part on the CW, but there was a lot more potential with him, and the CW didn't quite do the character justice in my eyes.

Failing that, how about Vixen or Swamp Thing? The MCU hasn't quite got a character like that (yet?); there's a lot of characters I'd like to see from WB/DC, but there's already a Marvel counterpart to them. Atom has Ant Man, Doctor Fate has Doctor Strange, Green Arrow has Hawkeye etc

I'd totally be on board for this. It's a shame Joe(?) never got to showcase as Slade Wilson (although maybe, with the Snyder Cut, there's hope for him yet?)

From the given list of candidates, Hawkman should be seen as the next DC superhero to hit the big screen. I root for him.
Outside of the list, it's Green Arrow for me.
Green Arrow is a good call, but I'd prefer a film focused on both Green Arrow AND the Black Canary (they may need to overlook that Birds of Prey film or this though).

Hawkman I'm sure is great, but I'd prefer to see Hawkgirl first. Wonder Woman has proved that there's powerful women out there, and yet all of these big screen adaptions are men. Lets throw some female heroes into the mix, and whilst we're at it, launch a Green Lantern trilogy with Jessica Cruz (rather than Hal Jordan).

Green Arrow is a good call, but I'd prefer a film focused on both Green Arrow AND the Black Canary (they may need to overlook that Birds of Prey film or this though).

Hawkman I'm sure is great, but I'd prefer to see Hawkgirl first. Wonder Woman has proved that there's powerful women out there, and yet all of these big screen adaptions are men. Lets throw some female heroes into the mix, and whilst we're at it, launch a Green Lantern trilogy with Jessica Cruz (rather than Hal Jordan).
I count Black Canary as a package deal with Green Arrow :)
Though the main focus would be on him.
(Compare with the dynamic duo)

I don't want a Hawkgirl film just for the sake of having another strong woman. It would be like getting Supergirl before Superman.
I see Carter Hall as a more classic character than his female counterpart.
It's Hawkman that have started to being mentioned related to Black Adam and Justice Society. That's fair, I think

Also don't mean to repost an idea from another thread but it seemed to fit this one perfectly too so here goes :

Well, I'm sure I will get a lot of people shooting down this idea for the origin of Hawkman on screen but....it is possible to loosely connect the Egyptian story line with a 'space connection'.

It can start off in the 1930s or 40s with Carter Hall , as an archaeologist , who was selected to join a team that discovered an Egyptian tomb.

Soon after he arrives at the dig site, he & the team finds a wall of hieroglyphs no one is able to decipher right away.
As the team studies the symbols all day & into the night, they go to sleep after a long day at their campsite in the desert.
Around midnight he bolts out of his tent, running into the tomb with the now uncoded information from a dream of him being in Egypt thousands of years ago is unfolded by an Egyptian god.
The dream reveals to him that you have this vast knowledge of our culture,artifacts & history because , you were there.
You lived among us as Khufu & it is thru the powers of reincarnation you were awakened & called back here.
He then scrambles down to the tomb to find a hidden antechamber with more hieroglyphs and the Hawkman armor/Nth metal.
Then looking closely at the pictures on the walls , interprets there was something that descended upon the Egyptians, visitors from the skies that gave them technology beyond their comprehension.
[I have seen many TV specials & shows, if you're like me History channel is full of them showing some alien intervention in Egypt's history]

Then he could use the Nth metal technology and start the legend of Hawkman .

What or who the villain is can be worked out , Also..it gives a sequel idea for later of trying to get to or find Thanagar, showing a space themed movie of who & why the Aliens are & how they have been making contact on earth longer than we have realized.

And my choice for a director, since he does period pieces well & shows he can with Captain America & the Rocketeer....Joe Johnston

Peyton Westlake: I think it's best to only have the reincarnation angle, starting in ancient egypt.
Carter Hall has been living many lives throughout history.
It all started when he was Prince Khufu and the nth metal came to earth in a meteorite.
The evil priest Heth-Set cursed Khufu and Chay-Ara to be killed by him in every life.
Hawkman's first tentpole film to be based on mythology, dark magic and occult stuff. Isn't that enough?

If the sci fi element is to be used, it should be saved for later.
That Carter is actually the Thanagarian policeman Katar Hol, doesn't need to be included at first.
I think it's not good to cram everything into one film. If they do that, what else can they have in sequels?

I count Black Canary as a package deal with Green Arrow :)
Though the main focus would be on him.
(Compare with the dynamic duo)

I don't want a Hawkgirl film just for the sake of having another strong woman. It would be like getting Supergirl before Superman.
I see Carter Hall as a more classic character than his female counterpart.
It's Hawkman that have started to being mentioned related to Black Adam and Justice Society. That's fair, I think

Screw Hawkman, give me Hawkgirl!! I’m sick of Diana being the sole female in everything, especially when you have other female heroes who are also popular! Why does Hawkgirl have to wait for Hawkman? The JLU did a great job distancing her from Hawkman and I’d like to see that continue!

I really wish that, at the very least, we'd get animated adaptations of these lesser known characters like Plastic Man, Hawkman, Animal Man, Deadman, the Question, etc.

One and done origin movies in the same vein as Green Lantern: First Flight would be dynamite. I love Superman and Batman as much as the next guy, and I understand why they're the 'go-to' heroes for any animated movies that get produced, but honestly I'm kind of sick of them hogging the limelight.

Sometimes I can't be bothered to read comics. Sometimes I simply want a more passive form of entertainment that features some of the characters I enjoy. :funny:

Doing the Reyes Blue Beetle movie as a film to showcase the Mexican-American cultural experience seems like such a huge opportunity for WB/DC to capitalize on.

I know they had discussions on it after Black Panther, but it seems to have died off.

Phantom Stranger
The Spectre
Adam Strange
Static Shock
Icon
Jade & Obsidian
Deathstroke

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads