What Lesser-Known DC Character Would You Pick For A Movie?

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score
Now I got this idea after adding my two cents to the discussion about Shazam (which I know to a lot of you is probably wouldn't qualify as a lesser known character but he wasn't someone I was that very well versed with upon first hearing about him).

With their incredible iconic status characters like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and The Flash often take centre stage for DC projects so I thought it would be fun to see if the head honcho's over at WB's and DC were gonna let you make a movie but their only request was that you used a character who hadn't already had a movie or tv show who would you go for?

I will start us off, my pick would be.....Catman

Upon reading about this character I have to admit I found him far more interesting than expected.
  1. His story starts off as nothing more than a throwaway Batman villain.
  2. But eventually, Blake left the villain game and became a couch potato. Then he's later being shown as a pathetic, overweight loser who was looked down upon by other villains.
  3. After a failed attempt at suicide, he returned to Africa and began living with a pride of lions. He lost weight, and regained his sense of self-worth and fighting skills, becoming even more than the warrior he had previously been.
Now I if I was to describe Shazam as a the superhero movie meets Big then I honestly think if done right you could have a superhero movie meets Rocky sort of feel for this one.

1. Stage one is that time where he's a wild young man. We've all done things we regret at a younger age so I think with care you could spin his initial villain run as either a fell in with the wrong crowd type or even show what he is now being a twisted side effect of his upbringing (initially wanting to be like Batman but criminal parents/guardians pushing him in the other direction)
  2. Stage two can show us the effects of how living his earlier life have left him now. With a criminal record, his body extremely beat up and overweight this could easily function as the turning point for the character as he realises the error of his ways after a failed suicide attempt as his way out.
  3. Stage three you have Catman rebuilding himself mentally and physically before having to take to the streets for a mission where he moves from his former villainous role to more of an anti-hero.

Would you watch a Catman movie? I look forward to hearing your ideas of who you would pick.

My own pick, who admittedly stretches the definition of "Lesser Known" a tad? The Martian Manhunter. It would be a cerebral detective story, where the process of investigating a mystery is used as an allegorical mirror to reflect J'onn's own philosophical investigation of the human condition. J'onn is, for 90% of the movie, a completely overpowered alien demigod by the standards of a typical noir mystery milieu, but this is a knowing thematic point; the drama is not whether he solves a particular mystery narrative challenge, but in how the meaning of his having solved it via vast power effects himself and those around him. Stylistically, think a sort of inverted Lovecraftianism, where it is the "horror" that is studying humanity, rather than the other way around.

And then, because this is still ultimately a superhero story, the climax goes beyond simple mystery challenges into something truly vast and dangerous, and J'onn must openly deal with it, rather than using his powers quietly from the shadows. If the majority of the movie is inverted Shadows Over Innsmouth, the finale is inverted Call of Cthulhu. A vast, impossible alien god strides over the city. . . and this is a good thing, because J'onn is here to save everyone. In the end, J'onn does not have all the answers to his philosophical dilemmas, but he is nonetheless satisfied, because the journey brings progress. Tomorrow will be a new day, offering new opportunities to help people, and to learn, and that is what counts.

Etrigan the Demon
Swamp Thing

Martian Manhunter has huge potential.

I used to love the late 70s early 80s Firestorm.

The 80s Outsiders ( Black Lightning , Metamorpho, Katana, Geo Force, Halo, Looker) was my all time favourite super team - would love to see them brought to life.

Let's be honest the GA has never heard of the New Gods - and probably neither has anyone outside DC comics fans - well maybe they've heard of Darkseid because he's DC's biggest of the big bads, but that's it.
I've always thought of the Eternals to be Marvel's New Gods ( minus Darkseid). Anyway, New Gods certainly counts as a lesser known group of characters.

Etrigan the Demon
Swamp Thing
Don't know that much about him but loved him in Justice League Dark movie.

Zatanna but people would say she's a Dr. Strange rip-off :(
It would be hard to avoid comparisons but you could play more in to the world of her as a stage magician so at least she would have a different feel than Strange having being raised in this life rather than stumbling upon it.

Black Canary should’ve been had her own movie by now.

I would even take another Catwoman movie with Holly Robinson in the mantle.

Phantom Stranger
Icon
Obsidian and Jade
The Spectre
Deathstroke (by Gareth Evans)
The Eradicator

Absolutely!

Yeah, man. Spectre almost seems like a no-brainer to me. Popular character, great opportunity for some dark and creepy visuals... I’m surprised the most we’ve gotten so far is a pathetic Jim Corrigan guest starring role on that shortly lived Constantine show. Phantom Stranger is a bit more obscure but he’s always been one of the most fascinating characters in the DCU and while I doubt that a movie will ever happen, I think a TV series would work. Actually, just give me all of DC’s darker characters in a big HBO show (Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Constantine, Swamp Thing, Ragman) and I’ll be happy.

Yeah, man. Spectre almost seems like a no-brainer to me. Popular character, great opportunity for some dark and creepy visuals... I’m surprised the most we’ve gotten so far is a pathetic Jim Corrigan guest starring role on that shortly lived Constantine show. Phantom Stranger is a bit more obscure but he’s always been one of the most fascinating characters in the DCU and while I doubt that a movie will ever happen, I think a TV series would work. Actually, just give me all of DC’s darker characters in a big HBO show (Spectre, Phantom Stranger, Constantine, Swamp Thing, Ragman) and I’ll be happy.
I would add Dr. Fate into that mix.

Something I was wondering after watching the latest episode of Caravan of Garbage...

I find it a little interesting that of all the DC superheroes out there, Swamp Thing has gotten so many adaptations. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great character but it just seems like there are more marketable superheroes out there. Yet, Swamp Thing has had two movies, a 1990s TV series, a cartoon series and now this DC Universe show that got canceled immediately. I’m just curious why DC has tried to push that character over so many others so many times. It just feels like it was always a bit of a tough sell.

I think a Firestorm film would get my vote, or a 'Star Labs' film featuring a trio of heroes that are learning about their powers, one of which would be Firestorm. Others could be Blue Beetle, Cyborg, Killer Frost etc - could even throw in some of the Teen Titans; Starfire and Raven?

Got to echo what others have said about Martian Manhunter, the character has huge big screen potential for me.

Also agree with Firestorm but would love to see a Deathstroke movie.

A17-TZ4w0-LDL.jpg

Metal Men with Dr. Willam Magnus, Prof. Ivo, Prof T.O. Morrow and Red Tornado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"