Iron Man Sequels Let's talk reboot changes, shall we?

kedrell

Fork&SpoonOperator
Reaction score
Ok, this is the Iron Man sequels board, not the Iron Man 3 board yet. So future installments IMO are fair game to talk about on here as well. One thing that eventually happens and may happen after IM3 or even a movie or two after that is the inevitable reboot of the series. So I thought I'd open this up to a discussion of what changes we'd like to see in an eventual reboot of the Iron man series from the Favreau movies.

The two things that to me are right off the bat things that I'd like to see different are for Jarvis to be a real person and Tony keeps his secret identity.

What say you?

I prefer Tony can never keep his secret identity anymore. It's fairly unique among other superheroes and it really speaks Iron Man is not a street level superhero character who can't defend against unexpected attacks.

I'm ok with a real Jarvis. But do it first in the Avengers. Jarvis has always been more of an Avengers supporting character than Iron Man.

Well the Hulk has also been secret identity free for a real long time. I dunno, I just like the mystique of the secret identity. To me, it's part of what makes superheroes cool. Sure, even in a reboot I'd be fine with him losing his secret identity eventually. But build it up and don't do it in the first movie. Maybe in the 3rd or so it'd be ok

Not the dreaded whining about the R word already :facepalm:

Personally I prefer for Tony to keep his identity public.

How about Rhodey being a marine chopper pilot or showing the comics version of how he and Tony met?

Iron Man really doesn't need one. If Iron Man represents Starks company and its always being attacked. Also if Tony Stark only has Jarvis, Pepper, and War Machine as friends/Family....Then really Iron Man's existence is a threat to them with or without the secret identity. The best thing about Tony as a character is that his playboyness is the real him.

Now with Hulk. His identity isn't so much of a secret but more like its smarter. The last thing the world needs is some mob trying to make a citizens arrest on a man who for the most has no equals except Thor.

I just like secret identities. It's one of the aspects of the superhero genre that I wish we had more of.

Talks of reboot, even imaginary ones, makes my stomach sick.

I wouldn't go that far - I didn't have major issues with Iron Man 2 but the consusus has been mixed to mildly positive. Not as positive as the first film anyway.

Or Wolverine. Rebooting in itself is hard (save for the Bond franchise) especially in short terms. . Most people don't like SM3, but the Spidey reboot is at risk. Batman had a great reboot but TIH and SR failed. I'm in no hurry to see an IM reboot, as RDJ is the best part of the character, in my opinion.

They should just reboot IM2.

Fail.

Although this is hardly the ideal situation, it absolutely does not warrant a reboot of the whole series, of which the good far outweighs the bad, IMO.

Plus, IM's origin was pretty much perfectly told. So why reboot?

Same thing I feel about Batman.

I kinda disagree with this. Nobody in the Nolan Batman movies owned their role aside from Ledger. Bale is really good, but I envision an easy turn around in that department. The Bruce Wayne character never had a dominant personality. In no way is he the quintessential Bruce Wayne in my opinion. The more challenging part will find somebody who can take over for Nolan, who personally turned the franchise around. His direction and vision has more to do with the greatness of that franchise than any of the actors.

RDJ on the other hand IS Tony Stark. The personality we have grown accustomed to with these two movies is almost irreplaceable. I can't think of a single actor that can hold a candle to RDJ's Stark.

Hmm, I kinda agree. It's gonna be the Chris Reeve syndrome all over again.

Ledger got to play an oddball. Its kinda hard to own a role when your character is for the most part a normal guy. Everyone notices the weirdo in the room. Oldman though is a conundrum. This guy chameleons himself into his roles.

My solution to all these reboots is ...........don't act like a reboot. Comics get new writers and artists every year. They accept that previous stories happened or choose to ignore them. Hell screw origin stories and get to the damn point.

Ledger got to play an oddball. Its kinda hard to own a role when your character is for the most part a normal guy. Everyone notices the weirdo in the room. Oldman though is a conundrum. This guy chameleons himself into his roles.

My solution to all these reboots is ...........don't act like a reboot. Comics get new writers and artists every year. They accept that previous stories happened or choose to ignore them. Hell screw origin stories and get to the damn point.

:up:

Well said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"