Liberal Writers Killing Marvel Comics?

People still use the "shoved in my face" argument? Huh

Queer characters are well rounded when their sexualities are a small focus, apparently. Except that's not how it works in real life. It's rediculous to expect Marvel to write queer characters like they did 15 years ago.

Whatever, you prefer comics that "shove" heterosexuality in your face. You're in luck because that's most of them.

Was this directed at me? Where in the ever living **** did I even come close to saying that?

Sorry I want characters whose sexuality (or race, or gender, or whatever) is not their only defining trait. You should want that to, because that's what makes characters interesting. Edit add: Yes, that goes for straight characters too. If I wanted all straight romance all the time, I'd read romance novels instead of comic books.

But Marvel has largely been reducing their characters, especially their new minority characters, to just those traits lately. It's fine for a story arc to focus on these aspects--it's what gives us a reason to connect to the issues that these characters are going through. But it shouldn't be the only thing that these characters are.

Complain about it all you want, but the "shoved in your face" argument is still a valid one until Marvel learns that they can have diverse characters without making that the sole selling point of their books.

Last edited:
I would be interested in seeing the actual panels that prove that the "shoved in our face" argument is valid, and no... Simply having characters talk about their background or show "diversity" isn't enough. Do the stories in each issue REALLY only revolve around ethnic identity or gender? Do they? From both sides please... Show us.

Also, again... Can someone against "the agenda" tell me what you honestly think the endgame is? Agendas tend to have a point. So... What is the end point for the agenda that ultimately upsets so many?

I would be interested in seeing the actual panels that prove that the "shoved in our face" argument is valid, and no... Simply having characters talk about their background or show "diversity" isn't enough. Do the stories in each issue REALLY only revolve around ethnic identity or gender? Do they? From both sides please... Show us.

Also, again... Can someone against "the agenda" tell me what you honestly think the endgame is? Agendas tend to have a point. So... What is the end point for the agenda that ultimately upsets so many?

I drop by this thread every now and again to see if I can find something worth reading. I got sick of some of the inane statements and quit bothering to try and put forward a dose of reason.

Thanks for a post worth reading. If a comic is well written, it will be well received. Diversity can be put forward as part of a story line without "Killing" anything. It can also be ignored in a lot of contexts. It's really not that interesting of a subject except maybe to people....well, never mind.

I drop by this thread every now and again to see if I can find something worth reading. I got sick of some of the inane statements and quit bothering to try and put forward a dose of reason.

Thanks for a post worth reading. If a comic is well written, it will be well received. Diversity can be put forward as part of a story line without "Killing" anything. It can also be ignored in a lot of contexts. It's really not that interesting of a subject except maybe to people....well, never mind.

Since all of the comics that featured these new diverse characters are getting cancelled in basically one fell swoop I think that says something. So by your argument either they were all badly written, or this is a sign that people were rejecting this mass push that was done at the expense of so many long-loved characters

Last edited:
I think it says that the new editor in chief is not very smart in terms of optics.

Especially with his "pretend to be an asian" controversy.

Cancellation does not equal quality. You could name a number of decent selling comics that are awful and just as many critically acclaimed series that are cancelled.

Generation X is a well-written comic that recieved good reviews and had a diverse cast. Do Eye-boy, Nature Girl, and Bling sell comics? Clearly not. Some comics sell the way they do because they are that comic, regardless of the quality.

You won't get much evidence because the most vocal don't read these comics that keep them up at night.

Last edited:
I think it says that the new editor in chief is not very smart in terms of optics.

Especially with his "pretend to be an asian" controversy.

And does the most successful former editor in chief in decades also have those "not very smart" optics then? Quesada defended the decision online more than the current EIC did. It's not poor optics, it's basic business. You don't keep selling a product that isn't doing well just to satisfy complaining people that clearly aren't buying your product, or are in such small numbers as to be irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"