Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin sequels in 2014

Spider-Aziz

Dummy Dragon Holo
Reaction score
I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread for this yet

[YT]NCei4Vm1ZP8[/YT]​

2 sequels will be released this year, 2 different titles for 2 different movies
The first sequel; Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Taika-hen (The Great Tokyo Fire) will be released on August 1st 2014
The second one; Rurouni Kenshin: Densetsu no Saigo-hen is set for release on September 13th 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed the first movie, and I'm really looking forward to these two films

I'm excited to see them, the first one was quite entertaining, though Shishio doesn't look very good for me. I wonder why they want to release both sequels with only a month in between, doesn't sound like a good idea to me, when the 3rd comes out, many will not even have watched the previous film, they should have waited 6 months to a years between releases.

Yeah, the time between the releases is not the best idea for the reason you stated
But if one movie ends like the Matrix Reloaded did with a To Be Continued, I guess this move makes some sense

I think that's probable, they both adapting the Shishio arc, but the placement is still too tight, will be more difficult for each film to make enough money.

Anyone watched the 2nd film yet? Was Kaoru always such a damsel in distress?

The movie was quite entertaining, while short, the Kenshin vs Sojiro fight was amazing.

She's been more helpful here than I remember her from the series.
It was really nice to see a flashback to Shinta's childhood before adopting the name of Kenshin, and the master giving him the name.
And it was really nice to see Kenshin's teacher on film.

Finally got my hands on all three movies. Loving Kyoto Inferno so far.

Has there been any word on a fourth movie. You know, considering the Jinchu arc has never gotten a proper adaptation.

There was a lot of homage to the manga/anime that I thought was very cool. IIRC the entire Okubo arc was almost straight out the manga from the scenes down to the dialogue. The opening sequence with Shishio and Saitou (he opens the movie again! :awesome:), while a new addition, was great. It's chilling, eerie and downright sets the mood for the movie. I'm not sure if it was intentional but it also feels a nod to Saitou's "exit" in the Kyoto arc when they thought he died. The last third of Kyoto Inferno was where they started to deviate and that continued with Legend Ends. Can't say I'm satisfied with some of the changes but I get it why it was done. I liked how they expanded the burning of Kyoto plot and they got the entire team to have some fight scenes. I guess it's their way of making up for removing the Kaoru/Yahiko/Oniwaban vs Jupongatana fight later on. Having Kenshin, Saitou, and Sanosuke join in too was smart. Sanosuke grew on me but lawd, why did they have him acting like a mindless buffoon all the freaking time???! The thing I can do without is Kaoru getting captured AGAIN. The highlight of the movie for me was the 4 vs 1 fight towards the end. That's something I've always wished happened in the manga/anime as well. I mean, yes, the 4 were there during the battle with Shishio but they never attacked him at the same time. It was cool to see the Jupongatana and they did a great job with the costumes again.

Misao's casting is GREAT. I couldn't stand her half the time in the anime but I loved her live action version. Aoshi's casting is... interesting. I find it hilarious how they changed him from a cool, dapper magazine cover type of character to a dirty, greasy hobo one. His character development definitely suffered from him being dropped out of the Kanryuu plot in the first movie. Loved the Seijuru Hiko casting as well! The actor is phenomenal.

All the fan service was great and is wonderful to the fans but I'm not sure this would've been enjoyable at all to someone who's never seen/read the anime/manga? A lot of these scenes wouldn't have made any sense at all. Like Soujiro having a complete mental breakdown in the middle of his fight with Kenshin would've been a big WTF moment if you don't follow the manga/anime. :funny:

Seijuro Hiko's actor is Fukuyama Masaharu, one of the most famous Japanese singer and actor.
I think along with Kimu Taku, he is the most dandy, cool, and influencer in Japanese entertainment business. So, he is playing Kenshin's master in manga adaptation movie is really a surprise for me at the time.

This is only the second time Fukuyama Masaharu play as samurai figure. Previously, he play in samurai drama series, Ryoma Den, where he play as Sakamoto Ryoma (the father figure in Japanese history).

Also, now you mentioning Okubo..just want share a little history here (hehe).., Okubo Toshimichi is also a real Japanese historical figure. He is one of key three figure in Meiji Restoration. (Along with the other two, Kogoro Katsura and Saigo Takamori, the latter being the real last samurai that his tale is what become an inspiration for Tom Cruise's Last Samurai movie).

Okubo is the first Japanese prime minister in Meiji era, and many historian here depict him as Japanese akin of Abraham Lincoln.

He was assasinated when he is on his way to his office by a bunch of ronin (who displeased of how the new system in Meiji era).

It is hard to not talk and thinking Rurouni Kenshin tale without talking the real historical period behind it since the author, Nobuhiro-sensei has included so many historical moment,period, and real historical figure into his story.

To me, thats the appeal of Rurouni Kenshin :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"