Spiderman V/S Godzilla V/S X-Men in 2014

I think Spider-man 2 does close to the numbers the first one did. You would think Days of Future Past would get audiences' attention with the combining on two generations of X-Men teams, but X-flicks have never really been to big of box office draws. A lot of it is going to depend on the success (fiscally and critically) of Wolverine. I don't think Godzilla has the same mainstream appeal as CBMs do so I think that comes below the other two.

If Cap is even in the same ballpark with SM and XM in terms of BO, then we'll know that the Avengers effect is real, and that the MCU can still remain relevant financially without Downey.

Event films are backed by MASSIVE pr campaigns, And since X3, Fox has put next to nothing out there for advertising for Wolverine and First Class. And even The Wolverine has only gotten trailers and posters, I doubt Fox will pay money out of pocket to advertise a movie, Especially with NO merchandising royalties to cover it. Fox is banking solely on Singers past success with the first X-Men movies, The last of which will be 11 years old by the time DOFP hits theaters.

Sorry my friend, But history is against it.

This is one of the most persistent fantasy based views of the film industry I've seen. No, Fox did not just hire the likes of Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, and Jennifer Lawrence, as well as secure a Memorial Day weekend release date, AFTER facing off (and winning) against Warner Bros.' challenge for its prior release date, to not advertise the biggest movie in its second biggest current franchise. Jesus.

Last edited:
This is one of the most persistent fantasy based views of the film industry I've seen. No, Fox did not just hire the likes of Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, and Jennifer Lawrence, as well as secure a Memorial Day weekend release date, AFTER facing off (and winning) against Warner Bros.' challenge for its prior release date, to not advertise the biggest movie in its second biggest current franchise. Jesus.

You act like Fox just hired those people for this one movie, ALL of them have been in X-Men movies, and NOT ONE since X-Men 3 has gone over 400 mil in worldwide box office, And Fox didn't secure Memorial day for DOFP, They secured it for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, And then switched them. There is NO fantasy about it, The X-Men movies are on the decline and so is Brian Singer. Chest puffery and Posturing is just Fox being Fox. And I will believe they will push this movie when and (BIG) if I see it.

Last edited:

Well when you put it like that it does sound pretty legit but only if you forget that the good half of that cast were all in The Last Stand as well.

Sure you can say that it wasn't Singers work but the work he was doing at the time doesn't give you much confidence.

The only way DOFP will do more than 100 million it's first weekend is if The Wolverine is any good and Godzilla is a flop. Otherwise it'll be between 50-70 million than drop 75% it's next weekend. Which is still a disappointment for a cast that big and well known.

You act like Fox just hired those people for this one movie, ALL of them have been in X-Men movies, and NOT ONE since X-Men 3 has gone over 400 mil in worldwide box office, And Fox didn't secure Memorial day for DOFP, They secured it for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, And then switched them. There is NO fantasy about it, The X-Men movies are on the decline and so is Brian Singer. Chest puffery and Posturing is just Fox being Fox. And I will believe they will push this movie when and (BIG) if I see it.

Let's make something clear. This isn't about Fox pushing the movie big. This is about Fox pushing the movie at all, which you claim the studio won't. You have actually gone on record to state that other than trailers and posters, Fox will not spend any of its own money to advertise its biggest movie of the year.

I doubt Fox will pay money out of pocket to advertise a movie... Fox is banking solely on... past success...

That is delusional.

Well when you put it like that it does sound pretty legit but only if you forget that the good half of that cast were all in The Last Stand as well.

:huh: When I put it like what? In terms of reality? Of course, Fox is going to advertise its own movie.

The only way DOFP will do more than 100 million it's first weekend is if The Wolverine is any good and Godzilla is a flop. Otherwise it'll be between 50-70 million than drop 75% it's next weekend. Which is still a disappointment for a cast that big and well known.

Let me get this straight. It's either $100+ million or a low of $50 million, followed by a record breaking 75% drop for $12.5 million in its second weekend? Tell me more.

Let's make something clear. This isn't about Fox pushing the movie big. This is about Fox pushing the movie at all, which you claim the studio won't. You have actually gone on record to state that other than trailers and posters, Fox will not spend any of its own money to advertise its biggest movie of the year.

That is delusional.

:huh: When I put it like what? In terms of reality? Of course, Fox is going to advertise its own movie.

Let me get this straight. It's either $100+ million or a low of $50 million, followed by a record breaking 75% drop for $12.5 million in its second weekend? Tell me more.

Dude, You keep killing your own argument.

Fox's big summer movie of 2011, Was.....guess what, It was First Class, And they hardly advertised it and even with positive word of mouth, It lost money domestically.

And their big summer movie of 2009 was Wolverine, And it got beaten by one of Fox's other summer movies, Ice Age:Dawn of the Dinosaurs

You MUST face facts. The X-Men movies just aren't tearing up the box office compared to other movies in the genre, And Fox should just call it a day and give Marvel back what is theirs.

Dude, You keep killing your own argument.

Fox's big summer movie of 2011, Was.....guess what, It was First Class, And they hardly advertised it and even with positive word of mouth, It lost money domestically.

And their big summer movie of 2009 was Wolverine, And it got beaten by one of Fox's other summer movies, Ice Age:Dawn of the Dinosaurs

You MUST face facts. The X-Men movies just aren't tearing up the box office compared to other movies in the genre, And Fox should just call it a day and give Marvel back what is theirs.

Nothing anyone has said has killed my argument. The fact that a direct sequel to First Class has been scrapped in favor of Days of Future Past should be clear that the studio is not taking the same approach as it did with its predecessor. The fact that Fox has secured both the coveted mid-July and Memorial Day weekend release dates as opposed to a languishing early June release date should be clear the studio is not taking the same approach as it did with its predecessor. The fact that Days of Future Past will most likely have a panel at Comic-Con should be clear the studio is not taking the same approach as it did with its predecessor, so please show me where my argument has been killed and the idea that the studio will not spend any of its own money to promote the movie has prevailed? Links? Anything?

Last edited:
Nothing anyone has said has killed my argument. The fact that a direct sequel to First Class has been scrapped in favor of Days of Future Past should be clear that the studio is not taking the same approach as it did with its predecessor. The fact that Fox has secured both the coveted mid-July and Memorial Day weekend release dates as opposed to a languishing early June release date should be clear the studio is not taking the same approach as it did with its predecessor. The fact that Days of Future Past will most likely have a panel at Comic-Con should be clear the studio is not taking the same approach as it did with its predecessor, so please show me where my argument has been killed and the idea that the studio will not spend any of its own money to promote the movie has prevailed? Links? Anything?

First it was Memorial day, And now that you have been called on it July is now just as important, And I hate to break the news to you, But DOFP IS A SEQUEL!!!, Incredible Hulk WAS an INDIRECT sequel. Hell, You could even say that Ghost Rider 2 was indirect. But this IS a sequel. I will be at Comic-Con, So I will tell you IF they do. The words FACT and Most Likely don't go together with this example, That's like me saying "Its a FACT that Godzilla will MOST LIKELY be the highest grossing movie in 2014" I can make predictions all day long, But until it happens.....Its NOT a fact!!! And your right Fox will probably spend money, Because its obvious that losing money on an already stale franchise is right in line with their thought process:doh: IF The Wolverine and DOFP make over 800 mil worldwide COMBINED, I will gladly offer you my apologies.

Spiderman will probably make more money just by the name alone, tho I expect x-men will be the better film going by their first outings.

X-Men has a lot of buzz right now and I haven't feel that buzz with the prequel/spin-off movies like Origins, First Class and The Wolverine.

X-Men has a lot of buzz right now and I haven't feel that buzz with the prequel/spin-off movies like Origins, First Class and The Wolverine.

Buzz is good, But lets see if that buzz will persuade Fox to come out of pocket for a HUGE pr campaign. I wouldn't bet the farm though. Building hype online is relatively easy AND not very expensive. We see this with athletes all the time, Granted we are NOT talking about athletes, But I think the comparison is fair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"