Lois/Clark/Lana questions

She “first encounters” (pun intended) Clark in a cornfield in the middle of a lightning extravaganza in which Clark, who is naked and in a trance-like state, has been returned to earth after having been abducted by his birth father, Jor-El.

Did you know that was the same field where Martha and Jonathan found Clark?

I think Tom and Kristin definitely have an amazing chemistry together and even though I personally have not liked the direction they have taken Lana’s character since season 4 and would like to see Clark and Lana resolve their relationship and move on from it, I still can’t deny that when they are on screen together there is something intangible between them. I think they are comfortable with one another and feel safe to play it for all its worth. I also think they each possess a certain inner security and natural sexiness in their own right. It also helps that they are both supernaturally attractive.

I think TOM and KRISTIN are very similar creatures in real life and consequently they feel comfortable with each other, and it comes through in their acting.

Did you know that was the same field where Martha and Jonathan found Clark?quote]

No I hadn't realized that. Interesting, huh?

I think TOM and KRISTIN are very similar creatures in real life and consequently they feel comfortable with each other, and it comes through in their acting.

ITA. :yay:

The thing is, I believe Tom has good chemistry with almost everyone.

He's freaky in that way.

I love him with all the women he works with. He has a great friendship vibe with Allison, a prickly (yet still affectionate) thing with Lois, and I totally bought his ardor for her in Crimson and again (as Bizarro) this year, he's got this strong big-brother-like feeling with Laura, and his chemistry with Kristin is off the scale.

He's also had good chemistry with other women in the show, like Alicia (Obsession, Unsafe and Pariah), Kayla (Skinwalker) and Raya (Zod, Fallout).

I hope he and Lana can get together and, when it ends, resolve things once and for all. He won't really be ready to move on otherwise.

The thing is, I believe Tom has good chemistry with almost everyone.

He's freaky in that way.

I love him with all the women he works with. He has a great friendship vibe with Allison, a prickly (yet still affectionate) thing with Lois, and I totally bought his ardor for her in Crimson and again (as Bizarro) this year, he's got this strong big-brother-like feeling with Laura, and his chemistry with Kristin is off the scale.

He's also had good chemistry with other women in the show, like Alicia (Obsession, Unsafe and Pariah), Kayla (Skinwalker) and Raya (Zod, Fallout).

I hope he and Lana can get together and, when it ends, resolve things once and for all. He won't really be ready to move on otherwise.

Well said! :yay:

Tom brings out the best in everyone he works with and they all have such nice things to say about him. I think he is genuinely concerned for others. :heart:

Well said! :yay:

Tom brings out the best in everyone he works with and they all have such nice things to say about him. I think he is genuinely concerned for others. :heart:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Tom is truly wonderful.

Very nice post TWistim. I agree with most everything you said. :)

Throughout season 4, there was, IMO, a hint of sexual tension played back and forth between Clark and Lois which was fun and teased the Clois fans. Then, in season 5 and most of season 6, Lois’s character and the development of the relationship between Clark and Lois was stalled and left many fans disappointed. It seems they didn’t count on the series lasting another 2/3 seasons and being restricted by the Superman movie franchise really didn’t have anyplace to take it.

I think you're right, TWistim. Certainly season 5 was disappointing; it was a bad season for Lois in her own right but for Clois it was highly damagingly irregular: long periods of blah and then a sudden moment of brilliance. The few great moments can be counted on one hand:
Aqua foreshadowing. I just loved how they made Clark notice that Lois is, in fact, looking for a guy just like him.--someone "who wants to save the world," rather than "own" it.:word:
Exposed tension/flirtation/investigating. While their mutual horror and humiliation in the club was amusing to behold, I think most Cloisers love it for the ending scene's return to good ole repartee. "Aye aye, sailor" is celebrated greatly in some necks of the fanhood. :D
Reckoning. My personal favorite. I loved all the Clana etc but it also holds my favorite Clois of S5; when Lois gives a shaken Lana reassurance and says "I'd be lucky to end up with a man as honorable as Clark Kent some day." Wow, Lois saying something good about Clark!! And with such a great straightforward yet a touch wistful delivery.:heart:
Oracle barntalk. I'm not a big fan of the Harley talk -mainly because the Clois had disappeared so deeply into offscreenville by late season5 that seeing them conversing as confidantes just seemed weird- but I do appreciate the writers' point that Clark and Lois realize that in some ways/sometimes they do know each other better than anyone. :) And the Harley metaphor itself is quite accurate.:oldrazz:

In the latter part of the latter half of season 6 we are finally seeing some new development in Lois’s character toward the Lois we all know and love from the comics. We also see a more “friendly” relationship between Lois and Clark beginning to develop. I am excited about this new potential.

That's interesting you should say that. Most of the Cloisers I've talked to were pleasantly surprised with the Clois in Season 6 starting all the way from "Zod". The premiere's handhold, then the Reunion investigation, then the Rage smile-across-the-table, and the Hydro double whammy of teaming up & iconic/adorable/firstkiss all got Clois to a strong start in the first half of the season. Of course Lois was focused on Ollie but Clark was so protective over her and then supportive of that relationship that it helped move them beyond their teasing-only relationship.

I'm also excited about season 7's potential. They're good solid friends now who haven't lost their light-hearted touch; it's so interesting seeing that more open genuine caring in their interaction. :)

Erica is attractive but I sense in her a lack of confidence in herself and an attempt to oversell her sexuality. She therefore, at times, comes across to me as unnatural. Plus, on the show, she does not look her best. I am always amazed at how much prettier and younger she looks when her hair and make-up are done differently. I like Erica and I love the iconic character Lois Lane so I want her to be given more opportunity to stretch and develop her character, craft and confidence. I think that would greatly affect the chemistry between her and Tom. I am hopeful for where the writers might take SV's Lois and Clark in season 7.

Hmm, I actually agree with you on this. While Erica can look charming on SV, she's more often downplayed with wrong hairdo, makeup, etc. And I also agree that Erica isn't as comfortable in her skin as KK; even though KK may be more modest or shy, Erica is downright awkward in a lot of her aggressively sexy scenes. Where I disagree with you is that it lessens her chemistry with Tom. It may make lust scenes like Crimson's feel forced but it doesn't diminish the tension, playfulness, and just fresh comraderie between the two in their normal guise. In fact I'm going to have to differ with the majority of you in saying that I think Tomerica compare very favorably against Kristom.

Kristom are very beautiful to look at and have a good comfort zone; but I know that a lot of my appreciation for the couple stems more from the occasional elegantly produced scene where the music, lighting, and storytelling all come together to carefully craft a timeless love scene. {Of course the acting too} When the producers put themselves out, I think they really do deliver. :) The cast has very good chemistry as a whole and so it's easy to take the story to new dramatic levels. I know I fell for Clark's romantic ice-skating moment with Alicia, Lexana's Lockdown/Reckoning intimacy and even to an extent (gasp) Chloe's Vessel kiss etc. I'm with Olea in saying that Clana chemistry benefits a great deal from actually participating in a love story.

Anyway I really enjoyed reading your post. Great ideas.

Aqua foreshadowing. I just loved how they made Clark notice that Lois is, in fact, looking for a guy just like him.--someone "who wants to save the world," rather than "own" it.
Exposed tension/flirtation/investigating. While their mutual horror and humiliation in the club was amusing to behold, I think most Cloisers love it for the ending scene's return to good ole repartee. "Aye aye, sailor" is celebrated greatly in some necks of the fanhood.
Reckoning. My personal favorite. I loved all the Clana etc but it also holds my favorite Clois of S5; when Lois gives a shaken Lana reassurance and says "I'd be lucky to end up with a man as honorable as Clark Kent some day." Wow, Lois saying something good about Clark!! And with such a great straightforward yet a touch wistful delivery.
Oracle barntalk. I'm not a big fan of the Harley talk -mainly because the Clois had disappeared so deeply into offscreenville by late season5 that seeing them conversing as confidantes just seemed weird- but I do appreciate the writers' point that Clark and Lois realize that in some ways/sometimes they do know each other better than anyone. And the Harley metaphor itself is quite accurate.

Girl, you know your stuff!!! :cwink:

My favorite is the "Aye aye, sailor." I just love Tom's delivery and devilish grin.

That's interesting you should say that. Most of the Cloisers I've talked to were pleasantly surprised with the Clois in Season 6 starting all the way from "Zod". The premiere's handhold, then the Reunion investigation, then the Rage smile-across-the-table, and the Hydro double whammy of teaming up & iconic/adorable/firstkiss all got Clois to a strong start in the first half of the season. Of course Lois was focused on Ollie but Clark was so protective over her and then supportive of that relationship that it helped move them beyond their teasing-only relationship.

I'm not a shipper of any coupling and I haven't watched season 6 closely enough it seems because I didn't get that sense of Clois in the first half of season 6. I watched as it aired and then have re-watched once since I recently bought the DVD but I will pay more attention next viewing. Although the hand touching in "Zod" was a nice moment, the bolded part (above quote) is what sticks out to me in the first part. Hydro I would concede was a turning point with Clark realizing he liked "the kiss"!

Hmm, I actually agree with you on this. While Erica can look charming on SV, she's more often downplayed with wrong hairdo, makeup, etc. And I also agree that Erica isn't as comfortable in her skin as KK; even though KK may be more modest or shy, Erica is downright awkward in a lot of her aggressively sexy scenes. Where I disagree with you is that it lessens her chemistry with Tom.

I just think an inner confidence is an important part of what makes one sexy.

It may make lust scenes like Crimson's feel forced but it doesn't diminish the tension, playfulness, and just fresh comraderie between the two in their normal guise.

I actually loved Crimson. I thought Tom and Erica played off each other very well. (Did that sound right?) From their awkward setup in the first scene, to their lustful romp at the DP and Ollie's apartment, to the playful tension in the loft scene at the end, they sold it IMO. They both delivered the right amount of what each scene called for.

In fact I'm going to have to differ with the majority of you in saying that I think Tomerica compare very favorably against Kristom.
Kristom are very beautiful to look at and have a good comfort zone; but I know that a lot of my appreciation for the couple stems more from the occasional elegantly produced scene where the music, lighting, and storytelling all come together to carefully craft a timeless love scene. {Of course the acting too}

I think it is somewhat unfair to compare Kristom to Tomerica, partly because of what you are saying, but mostly because the two relationships are just different. They are like apples and oranges. Both fruits are good; some will just prefer one over the other. Just because I like oranges better doesn't mean I can't appreciate an apple. :cwink:

Anyway I really enjoyed reading your post. Great ideas.

Thanks! :heart: I enjoyed yours, too.

And the Harley metaphor itself is quite accurate.:oldrazz:
I rarely go militant Clanafan about things, but that Harley line totally pissed me off. And I like Lois, can you imagine the reception it got from people who don't like her? I still think it was a terrible line for the writers to have put in there. Not that Lois isn't Harley-like(?), but to call Lana a 'bike' to her Harley was an unnecessary insult to Lana, and it served to make Lois look *****y for saying it. I just don't buy that she would say such a thing about Lana when she's always liked her. No matter how people try and fanwank it, it was a total diss to Lana and I felt it was beneath Lois to say it.

I'm also excited about season 7's potential. They're good solid friends now who haven't lost their light-hearted touch; it's so interesting seeing that more open genuine caring in their interaction. :)
I'm enjoying their newfound closeness too. She's dampened down the insults and now they're more playful as opposed to biting, and he's come to really appreciate Lois, as opposed to being annoyed with her. They're a lot of fun to watch. Aside from any Clois stuff though, I am simply enjoying *Lois* a lot these days. It thrills me to root for her and watch her become the tenacious and honorable woman that Clark will one day fall deeply in love with.

Hmm, I actually agree with you on this. While Erica can look charming on SV, she's more often downplayed with wrong hairdo, makeup, etc.
Oh, I SO agree that SV took a long time to figure out how to shoot Erica. I saw Erica close-up at a con, and she was FAR more beautiful than she appeared on the show. But I gotta say, I do think they've (or she's) finally got it together with her make-up and hair.

I'm not a shipper of any coupling and I haven't watched season 6 closely enough it seems because I didn't get that sense of Clois in the first half of season 6. I watched as it aired and then have re-watched once since I recently bought the DVD but I will pay more attention next viewing. Although the hand touching in "Zod" was a nice moment, the bolded part (above quote) is what sticks out to me in the first part. Hydro I would concede was a turning point with Clark realizing he liked "the kiss"!

Aha! :) That explains a great deal; no doubt the early season 6 Clois wasn't anything a neutral fan would have to get excited about. The Cloiser, on the other hand.... :D We were happy to see such a positive change from season 5's aimless Clois.

I actually loved Crimson. I thought Tom and Erica played off each other very well. (Did that sound right?) From their awkward setup in the first scene, to their lustful romp at the DP and Ollie's apartment, to the playful tension in the loft scene at the end, they sold it IMO. They both delivered the right amount of what each scene called for.

I loved Crimson too. It was a very well-placed, entertaining and dramatic episode. But I did not care for the heavy making out btwn drugged Clois; I never like wild RedK scenes (not Clana's, not Chlarks', not Calicia's etc); I think I'm more of a romantic. :o What made it still a great Clois episode for me were:
--Clark giggling and roadrunning when faced with a lovestricken Lois
--Clark terrified of manhunter Lois at the DP; showing Chloe the Whitesnake tape. (Chloe's reaction was priceless. "It's NOT FUNNY" "Pretty funny")
--Lois finding out about GA. Trying to prove that she adores the whole farmboy thing. :lol: Clark jealous and growing steadily offended by the minute.
--The "Flight"! That was a rare case of moonlight romance for Clois; yeah they're drugged up; yeah Lois won't remember any of it; but Clark pulling her up to the edge and then taking her soaring across the city with her staring 'round at him in pure Lois Lane-meet-Superman awe was sweepingly sentimental and....very short. Still, a lot of gorgeous banners have resulted from it.:heart:
--The morning after, barntalk. I've watched that scene a ridiculous amount of times and I crack up every time. :woot: Erica is so comic; tight and uncomfortable, trying to be casual, but freezing up in horror at the very thought. Clark, agreeably surprised to have the upper hand, playing it for all it's worth. Some cute quotes "No, Lois. I think I'd remember." "'Course you would. It'd be the highlight of your life" and then THE moment when suddenly the laughter dies and they realize that dear God, what if there had been some truth in it all?? "I must've really liked you" cue sober stares and Supermanly music of destiny knocking at the door.

I think it is somewhat unfair to compare Kristom to Tomerica, partly because of what you are saying, but mostly because the two relationships are just different. They are like apples and oranges. Both fruits are good; some will just prefer one over the other. Just because I like oranges better doesn't mean I can't appreciate an apple.

ITA, TWistim. I just got the feeling that there was a consensus here that supposedly even "shipper bias aside" Kristom had enough chemistry to put Tomerica to shame. Which, frankly, I don't think can be stated so easily. The ships in SV are varied and passionate; there are no easy winners in the fanhood.

I rarely go militant Clanafan about things, but that Harley line totally pissed me off. And I like Lois, can you imagine the reception it got from people who don't like her? I still think it was a terrible line for the writers to have put in there. Not that Lois isn't Harley-like(?), but to call Lana a 'bike' to her Harley was an unnecessary insult to Lana, and it served to make Lois look *****y for saying it. I just don't buy that she would say such a thing about Lana when she's always liked her. No matter how people try and fanwank it, it was a total diss to Lana and I felt it was beneath Lois to say it.

That's too bad you feel that way, Serene. I cannot see that speech as an insult at all. While the fandom may have taken the bike vs. harley speech as Lana vs. Lois, I think that was clearly not Lois' intention. She is in no way saying that Clark will have her one day in his life; she's supposed to be oblivious and resistent to such an idea. The fact that the audience knows she will be his Harley allows us to read more into what she says than what she herself means.

I know you are not interested in "fanwank" but as this topic is very pertinent to the thread I just thought I'd add my two cents to the piggybank. If you look at Lois' motive: she's just trying to cheer up a glum friend whose devotion to his ex is making her other friend the ex feel harassed; remember, Lois spent the majority of that scene indignant on Lana's behalf since Lana told her that she's moved on etc. but Clark was found snooping in her room etc. As far as Lois is concerned, there was no reason imaginable for Clark to dump Lana. But she's the kind of friend that doesn't try to backtrack and make you undo what you've done. And then Lois Lane has always advised Clark Kent to "go with your gut!" and gain confidence through trusting his instincts. (Supman IV, comics, Season 4 "Blank")

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XdtYlBusv1s
Transcripted from youtube, this is the Oracle convo:

Lois (weary sarcastic): I thought you'd be outside Lana's dorm with your binoculars by now.

Clark (aloof): Well, I appreciate the concern, but Lana and I are none of your business.

Lois (awkward frank): Please, Smallville. I've had 3 exes put under a military surveillance. I'm hardly qualified to dish out postrelationship tact. (determined) But it's time for some tough love. Lana's going to move on.

Clark (defeated): She already has. With Lex.

(moment of silence)

Lois (regrouping): And it sucks. But you have to trust your gut that you did this for a reason. Whatever reason guys have for dumping hot, smart, fun girls these days. Look, give her some space, Clark! Your whole nightstalker routine? That is going to ruin any of the good feelings Lana has left for you.

Clark (heavy depression): If there are any.

Lois (awkward): Look, sometimes you have to tuck your feelings away until it's the right time. Like...stuffing dollars in a piggybank for a bike you can't quite afford?

Clark (despondant): Except I can't quite imagine there is anyone else out there.

Lois (mildly annoyed): Well, you never know, Clark. Maybe when you finally crack open that piggybank you'll find that all this time you haven't been saving for a bike... you've really been saving for a Harley. (challenging smile)

(moment of silence)

Clark (smiling): There are times when I think you don't know me at all. Then others when I think you know me better than anyone.

Lois (smiling wider): Well, that's what I'm here for, Smallville. One save at a time.

The fact that Lois managed to get him to smile and relax for a moment -succeeding in her goal to cheer him with some optimism- tells it all for me. Clark would have taken offense if she was belittling Lana or his feelings for her; I think the opposite was intended. Clark is often so pessimistic; gloomily unsure of what his future can hold. Lois, anathema to that attitude, is simply encouraging him to think that the future could be bright; he has no idea what the future holds; why not happiness? why not something beyond his wildest dreams? a payoff worth the wait?

I think her advice was extremely sensible and good-natured. And the allegory of the bike worked for me because a bike is something a child grows up with and wants. It's a first love of sorts. Clark "fell in love" with Lana when he was 7. Their love, despite the ordeals and trials, still retains something of that childlike innocence: a fairytale that they hope for. The harley, while suiting to Lois, can be read simply as an upgraded bike; more mature, more exciting, and more worth the money investment. I read that speech as suggesting two layers of optimism:
1) If you wait and are patient with your feelings, your love will be better than it was before. [ClanaWithoutSecrets: well worth the wait]
2) If you resign yourself to patient hoping, you may be surprised by a greater happiness future promises you. [Which is true, so why offensive? Lana had moved on to Lexana; Lois is telling him that someday he may be able to move on to something he thinks is better too]

Oh, I SO agree that SV took a long time to figure out how to shoot Erica. I saw Erica close-up at a con, and she was FAR more beautiful than she appeared on the show. But I gotta say, I do think they've (or she's) finally got it together with her make-up and hair.

WOW!! That is SO neat that you've seen Erica. I would love to meet her, Margot Kidder, and Dana Delaney. My favorite three live-action Lois Lanes!:heart: As wrt the show's handling of Erica's look, for me it is still hit and miss.

That's too bad you feel that way, Serene. I cannot see that speech as an insult at all. While the fandom may have taken the bike vs. harley speech as Lana vs. Lois, I think that was clearly not Lois' intention.

I've read explanations very similar to yours before, but I simply don't agree. I do agree that Lois wasn't directly trying to insult Lana though - but the line itself was insulting and I think it was a terrible line for TPTB to give Lois.
WOW!! That is SO neat that you've seen Erica. I would love to meet her, Margot Kidder, and Dana Delaney. My favorite three live-action Lois Lanes!:heart: As wrt the show's handling of Erica's look, for me it is still hit and miss.

Erica is luminous in person, completely charming. I also met Noell Neill a few months ago and she was a total sweetheart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"