Looks like Bush's "Faith-Based Initiatives" is nothing more than BS.

Superman

The Man Of Steel (Is #1)
Reaction score
:whatever:

White House denies book's allegations.

WASHINGTON - A former Bush aide claims that evangelical Christians were embraced for political gain at the White House but derided privately as "nuts," "ridiculous" and "goofy."

The allegations — denied by the White House on Friday — are in a new book by David Kuo, a conservative Christian who was deputy director of President Bush's Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives until 2003.

The book describes Kuo's frustration at what he felt was lackluster enthusiasm in the White House for the program, which seeks to steer more federal social service contracts to religious organizations. Details from the book, "Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction," were reported by MSNBC ahead of Monday's publication date.

Kuo singled out staffers in the office of Karl Rove, Bush's top political adviser and deputy chief of staff, as particularly condescending toward evangelical Christians, viewing them as necessary to help win elections but ridiculing them behind the scenes.

Kuo also described how officials from the faith-based office were systematically dispatched to hold large events in areas where there were key House and Senate races before the 2002 elections.

White House press secretary Tony Snow said he had not yet seen the book. But he said Rove was asked if he made the comments and replied he had not. Kuo, however, doesn't single out anyone by name as making the condescending comments.

"These are people who are friends. You don't talk about friends that way," Snow said.

Bush's spokesman also said there was no attempt to exploit the office to score political points, and that the president had specifically directed it not be politicized.

Snow denied Kuo's charge that the White House's religious charities program wasn't given the status it deserved, saying Bush's personal commitment to the policy was solid. Kuo has complained publicly in the past that the White House did not push hard enough for promised federal funding for religious groups to help the poor.

Snow read from what he called a "very warm letter" Kuo wrote to Bush when he left the White House. Kuo told the president he was proud of what the initiative had accomplished and said "it's your staff's keen awareness of your unwavering support for this initiative that's made the difference."

Snow concluded that the reports on the book "seem at odds with what he was saying inside the building at the time he departed."

Kuo's account of how the faith-based office has been regarded inside the White House recalls that of another high-level alumnus of the program. John J. DiIulio Jr., the faith-based office's first director, who quit in 2002, told Esquire magazine that "Mayberry Machiavellis" led by Rove based policy only on re-election concerns. After his comments caused an uproar, DiIulio apologized for making what he said were rude remarks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061014...pnkr5MDehqyFz4D;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

Jesus Jones, did he find another group to alienate?

And who did not realize this?

Bush is a Reptilian, so of COURSE he played the religious zealots like a violin! :up:

jag

Matt said:
And who did not realize this?
I'm not sure the man himself thinks this way of them (I think he really is one), but I believe everyone else in that building does.

I'm surprised people find this surprising. I mean one day a rich, spoiled, alcoholic and ex-coke head finds Jesus right in time for an election and people buy this. Of course this was a Karl Rove voting strategy...

ShadowBoxing said:
I'm surprised people find this surprising. I mean one day a rich, spoiled, alcoholic and ex-coke head finds Jesus right in time for an election and people buy this. Of course this was a Karl Rove voting strategy...

I don't know, are you telling me Bush doesn't believe in creationism? Seems like he shares a lot of view points with the religious right.

The Overlord said:
I don't know, are you telling me Bush doesn't believe in creationism? Seems like he shares a lot of view points with the religious right.
I'm not sure what he believes in his heart of hearts, and it's quiet possible he comes to actually believe his own bullsh** after 6 years. But he did not come to the Jesus freak complex on his lonesome.

And of course we do keep catching him swearing off camera and making snide remarks.

Wow, using Religious radicals to rally around your war cry, whilst not actualy believing anything you preach? Sounds like a certain terrorist I've heard of.

James Dobson actually tried to say this was just sour grapes on behalf of David Kuo. Yeah, just ignore the fact that you're being used and ridiculed. Everything is fine. :rolleyes:

ShadowBoxing said:
I'm not sure what he believes in his heart of hearts, and it's quiet possible he comes to actually believe his own bullsh** after 6 years. But he did not come to the Jesus freak complex on his lonesome.

And of course we do keep catching him swearing off camera and making snide remarks.

Bush has been a jesus freak since recovered from alcoholisim and lots of religious people swear and make snide remarks in private. Some in this government may just use it as a cover (Cheney, Rumsfeld) but others like Bush and Ashcroft really believe it.

sinewave said:
James Dobson actually tried to say this was just sour grapes on behalf of David Kuo. Yeah, just ignore the fact that you're being used and ridiculed. Everything is fine. :rolleyes:

:D

I hate 'Dr.' Dobson..in fact I hate all religious speakers who chose political sides.
One way or another they're going to make a fatal mistake and say something screwy and it goes down hill for the rest of people aligned with that religion.

As for Bush himself, you can't judge a mans belief by what he says or does. We do not know the state of his heart so it is hypocritical to even think we can.

Also, anyone with any knowledge of politics knows that everything and anything is always a ploy to get people to vote. So no, I'm not suprised.

Hmm, did anyone who is replying actually read the article? Bush himself isn't mentioned at all. There's one reference to Rove by the author, which he pretty much contradicted in his departure letter. And the other guy who said something wound up apologizing for what he said.

I'm not seeing anything more than one guy making a claim he himself contradicted earlier on. Sounds like nothing more than a guy trying to sell a "controversial" book that is anything but controversial.

But I love how the Bush detractors not *only* eat this stuff up like it's God's word (no pun intended), but also attribute what the guy's saying *directly* to Bush, when it has nothing at all to do with him in the first place.

But hey, any reason to b*tch and whine about "the republicans" is okay on this board, even if it does actually lack in substance ... so carry on.

lazur said:
Hmm, did anyone who is replying actually read the article? Bush himself isn't mentioned at all. There's one reference to Rove by the author, which he pretty much contradicted in his departure letter. And the other guy who said something wound up apologizing for what he said.

I'm not seeing anything more than one guy making a claim he himself contradicted earlier on. Sounds like nothing more than a guy trying to sell a "controversial" book that is anything but controversial.

But I love how the Bush detractors not *only* eat this stuff up like it's God's word (no pun intended), but also attribute what the guy's saying *directly* to Bush, when it has nothing at all to do with him in the first place.

But hey, any reason to b*tch and whine about "the republicans" is okay on this board, even if it does actually lack in substance ... so carry on.

yeah, there's no way the republican party would try and exploit a community for politcal gain... how old are you again?

sinewave said:
yeah, there's no way the republican party would try and exploit a community for politcal gain... how old are you again?

Yeah, and there's no way the democrats would do the same thing :rolleyes:.

Why do you continue to operate on the premise that democrats are completely innocent at all times?

And pardon me for pointing out the obvious in that story. I'm sorry that you don't like the truth. I obviously didn't realize my pointing out the story's "flaws" was indicative of age. But hey, you're a democrat, so you *must* automatically be more mature than I am.

Hi Lazur,
How are you? How was your weekend? Please note that i did not respond to the thread as you so detailed, so please do not place me in your prescribed group when next we meet at the opposiing ends of our political parrying blades. Thank you and have a good day.

sincerely,
Maxwell's Demon

lazur said:
Yeah, and there's no way the democrats would do the same thing :rolleyes:.

Why do you continue to operate on the premise that democrats are completely innocent at all times?

And pardon me for pointing out the obvious in that story. I'm sorry that you don't like the truth. I obviously didn't realize my pointing out the story's "flaws" was indicative of age. But hey, you're a democrat, so you *must* automatically be more mature than I am.

again, putting words into people's mouths. when did i say dems wouldn't do it? every political party exploits certain groups for political gain, but to act like they aren't or are above it is very naive. if this were a democrat administration you'd easily believe it without giving it a second thought, but because this is tarnishing the image of your beloved republican party the guy must be making it all up just to sell some books. you're completely delusional.

when's the last time a democrate went into a war to help their buddies in the weapons and oil industry, causing chaos and in the process creating new enemies with every action. it's stupid both short term and long term. and messing up the economy again. it annoys me because i like americans. but the politics in your country have gone down hill since the invention of tv.

maxwell's demon said:
Hi Lazur,
How are you? How was your weekend? Please note that i did not respond to the thread as you so detailed, so please do not place me in your prescribed group when next we meet at the opposiing ends of our political parrying blades. Thank you and have a good day.

sincerely,
Maxwell's Demon

Dude, that's not gonna work. :down

jag

sinewave said:
again, putting words into people's mouths. when did i say dems wouldn't do it? every political party exploits certain groups for political gain, but to act like they aren't or are above it is very naive. if this were a democrat administration you'd easily believe it without giving it a second thought, but because this is tarnishing the image of your beloved republican party the guy must be making it all up just to sell some books. you're completely delusional.

Putting words in YOUR mouth? When did I say republicans wouldn't do it?? Remember what you said to me? No? Where here's what you said...

"yeah, there's no way the republican party would try and exploit a community for politcal gain... how old are you again?"

That was you putting words in MY mouth, friend.

So get off your high horse and at LEAST admit that the story posted says NOTHING about Bush.

And I'm delusional? So because someone wrote about something in a book, I guess that makes it FACT to you?

Danalys said:
when's the last time a democrate went into a war to help their buddies in the weapons and oil industry, causing chaos and in the process creating new enemies with every action. it's stupid both short term and long term. and messing up the economy again. it annoys me because i like americans. but the politics in your country have gone down hill since the invention of tv.

When has it been proven that oil had ANY bearing on the war in Iraq again? I must have missed that news day. I mean, I know that's a convenient talking point of the left, but c'mon, surely you can do better than that.

And what, exactly, is "messing up the economy again"? You know that like 95% of all economists say the economy is fine, right? Or are you talking about gas prices? Last I checked, they were high ALL OVER THE WORLD, which has nothing at all to do with Iraq, a country that isn't even a "major" exporter of oil. Then again, you don't even live in THIS country, so your comments on our economy are just a tad hollow and misinformed. Maybe you should stay away from whatever liberal media you've been accessing to come to the conclusion that America's economy is weak ... because it's WAY wrong and it's only making you look blindly partisan, not to mention uneducated on the actual facts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"