Luke Cage Luke Cage show and the "N-word"

What if they call Luke Cage an item of women's underwear beginning with "Kn"? That sounds close enough but it's not the actual word and would be less offensive. Someone could say to him "Don't get your knickers in a twist."

What if they call Luke Cage an item of women's underwear beginning with "Kn"? That sounds close enough but it's not the actual word and would be less offensive. Someone could say to him "Don't get your knickers in a twist."

No.

You don't have to use it. Not all black people say that word and even less do nowadays. Trust me. I'm black and play ball with different people from the city weekly and rarely hear it. Worked at a school with high schoolers and rarely heard it.

You don't have to use it. Not all black people say that word and even less do nowadays. Trust me. I'm black and play ball with different people from the city weekly and rarely hear it. Worked at a school with high schoolers and rarely heard it.

Sure, there's more restraint today then there was in say the 90's. But it does get said. It's like dropping an F-bomb. Sometimes it's "appropriate", sometimes it isn't. It really depends on the context.

Sure, there's more restraint today then there was in say the 90's. But it does get said. It's like dropping an F-bomb. Sometimes it's "appropriate", sometimes it isn't. It really depends on the context.

It totally depends on who you're around. I don't think it's used any more or any less than it was in the past.

Not all black people have the same views about the word.

But if Luke Cage is going to be set in Harlem and he's going to be interacting with criminals in that area, it'd be weird if NOBODY used the word.

Its weird that nobody smokes in the MCU too and that black and white people have romantic relationships in the 1940s (Agent Carter) -and wore Hawaiian shirts under a jacket. Political correctness will triumph over and and realism.

ta

Ralph

It totally depends on who you're around. I don't think it's used any more or any less than it was in the past.

Not all black people have the same views about the word.

But if Luke Cage is going to be set in Harlem and he's going to be interacting with criminals in that area, it'd be weird if NOBODY used the word.

Its weird that nobody smokes in the MCU too and that black and white people have romantic relationships in the 1940s (Agent Carter) -and wore Hawaiian shirts under a jacket. Political correctness will triumph over and and realism.

ta

Ralph

Black and white people DID have romantic relationships in the 1940's. It just wasn't seen as socially acceptable and in a lot of states it was illegal. The stigma of interracial relationships is addressed in the second season of Agent Carter.

In regards to smoking, that's someone who works at marvel taking a hard stance against showing it in films. MCU films and some of the television shows are viewed by young kids. I definitely understand concerns about encouraging kids to smoke given the studies already done on that topic.

It appears that Marvel has only given it's Netflix shows two major restrictions:

1. No F-bombs. They can swear, just not F-bombs.
2. No nudity. There can be sex, but no onscreen full-on nudity.

IDK if using racial/ethnic slurs would also be a no-no from Marvel's POV. I could see it going both ways actually.

Punisher says 'F*** that!' in (I think) episode 4 of Daredevil S2.
When they are arguing on the roof.

Regards the n-word, I hope Marvel goes there to make the show more realistic, but they probably don't have the balls.
As a previous poster in this thread said; if it's a scene with all black characters and it's in Harlem, just to give it it that street level authenticity it would would only benefit the show in terms of changing perceptions and moving this genre fwd.

Also the MCU no smoking rule seems kinda dumb now that you mention it...
It's stuff like this that reduces immersion and reminds you your'e are watching a TV show/Film instead of real life.
As for Krysten Ritter appearing nude, as good as she probably looks I can live without it.

Last edited:
It depends how gritty they want to make the show. I'm black and EVERYONE I know use the word constantly among ourselves... but not in polite society. If it delves into drug dealing, pimping, and gang life then the word should be used by those various individuals for authenticity. Should Luke Cage use it? bad place no. He says "Sweet Christmas" instead of stronger language. This ain't the Wire and everyone shouldn't say it but the N-word (for better or worse) is a part of poor urban culture and the show should represent that when necessary.

http://collider.com/comic-con-2016-luke-cage-showrunner-mike-colter-interview-marvel/

They will be using it and exploring the impact of the word:

Collider: Was there any difficulty in getting the use of the N word passed Marvel?

COKER: Well, they had some trepidation. I’m not gonna front. But my whole thing was that, in using that word, I didn’t want it to be comfortable. I wanted every single time that it’s heard for people to think about it. But I also really wanted the show to live on its own terms, from the standpoint of, this is what it’s like when you eavesdrop on black people talking to each other. That word will come up, at times, in certain ways, so I wanted to explore the context with which it was used. Cottonmouth uses the word differently. In Episode 2, as Luke pushes forward to becoming a hero, the word is referred to in the very beginning of the episode, and at the end, there’s the history of Crispus Attucks. I wanted people to think about it in a way that they hadn’t thought about it before. And at the same time, every blaxploitation movie from Shaft to bad place Up in Harlem to Black Caesar deals with power and deals with these issues, so it needed to feel like that, too. When all else fails, if everyone gets mad, they can blame me.

COLTER: We talked about it, early on. I remember talking to Cheo about it and I was adamant that Luke was not a person that used that language. He was not a person that used that word because he was bigger than that. First and foremost, he’s a superhero, but we’ve got to define this superhero in a bigger sense than just his powers. He needs to be someone we can aspire to be, and I felt like, if he was the kind of guy that used that language all the time, like someone on the street corner who didn’t respect themself or the people around them, then he had lost what he had given up. So, that was a high requirement. In this day and age, if you don’t want to use that word or you choose to not use that word, you’re walking a path on your own because it’s so accepted. Whereas for Luke, he wanted to be better than that. He’s trying to work on himself. He’s trying to change his path. So, when he does use it, it resonates because it’s out of frustration. He can’t deal with this issue right now. He’s going through so much. At this point, he wants to unleash and retaliate with venom and hatred. Sometimes you don’t know the effect of words until you hear it used on you.

COKER: I always get asked, what makes Luke Cage different than any other character? Well, he’s black. Let’s face it, there aren’t a lot of black superheroes. So, in dealing with a black superhero, you’re going to deal with ugly history and the beauty of history. He’s going to have different responsibilities and different issues that, say, Captain America wouldn’t have to deal with. But then again, he’s going to deal with certain things that every superhero has to do. He has superhuman abilities, but we want to also emphasize the human the frailty of personality and temptations and everything else that comes with being a person. Everybody from the villains to our heroes have these moments of doubt, reflection and clarity. That was really one of the main things we really tried to do.

JEPH LOEB: While it is unapologetic about those things, that is not what the show is about. The show is about a man who is looking for redemption. The show is about the making of a hero. The fact that that man happens to be black and is in a black community is the story of Luke Cage. We could not change that story. It would be dishonest to the original creation of where it was. So, we recognize that responsibility. We recognize that, if you’re going to tell the story of the first black superhero from the streets, you’re going to be able to do that in a way where everyone can watch that show and go, “Wow, that’s the side of a story that I’ve never thought about.” And then, in terms of the language, that’s the language of that world. Would I say that that’s the language of the world of Jessica Jones or of Daredevil? No, it’s not. In that particular case, it wasn’t even ever brought up. It was the way that those particular showrunners decided to tell those particular stories. When Cheo came to us and brought us and brought us his first script, we read it and went, “That’s the way that people talk.” I’m not going to be apologetic about it, in any way. We are still making a show that is PG-16. We’re not making an R-rated show. And so, there are certain words that you’re not going to get to hear. If that’s what you need, in order to watch, then that’s what Deadpool was there for. From our point of view, it’s about what makes it real, what makes it grounded, and what makes you compelled to watch the next episode. If you get that from watching the show, awesome. If I sat here and said, “How would you like to watch 13 hours of our particular soapbox on a particular issue?,” you’d go, “I think I have something else to do with my 13 hours.” With Jessica Jones, Melissa Rosenberg never wore on her arm that it was a story that happened to have, as part of the elements, what had happened to Jess and the way that men treat women. This is the same kind of them.

Honestly, i guess I'm happy they didnt pretend the word doesnt exist.

Drug-use, sex, violence and obscene language are awkwardly absent from the MCU films. Netflix sorta picks up the slack in that arena.

Honestly, i guess I'm happy they didnt pretend the word doesnt exist.

Drug-use, sex, violence and obscene language are awkwardly absent from the MCU films. Netflix sorta picks up the slack in that arena.

Violence isn't absent from the MCU at all. There's no gore, but there's plenty of violence in all the MCU films.

Sex is also present in the Iron Man films and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Even obscene language is present in MCU films, it's just not used continually like it was in Jessica Jones. Daredevil didn't even have much obscene language or any sex scenes in the first season.

I think it all depends on the characters and so far the characters in the MCU films aren't known for extreme violence, lots of obscene language, or explicit sex scenes.

I could've done without the sex scenes between Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Or the ones with Trish Walker getting eaten out. They didn't seem necessary.

Also, Bruce and Betty almost had sex in The Incredible Hulk. Do not forget that movie. Admittedly it does have a very different tone compared to the rest of MCU.

Anyway, I'm glad Luke Cage will tackle these things.

I could've done without the sex scenes between Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Or the ones with Trish Walker getting eaten out. They didn't seem necessary.

I disagree. They were not necessary but greatly appreciated.

........Trish Walker?!?! (I haven't seen the Jessica Jones series)

I agree on the Trish one, but thought the Jess/Luke scenes were pretty pivotal

I agree on the Trish one, but thought the Jess/Luke scenes were pretty pivotal

Yeah, they served a purpose to the narrative of the show. You needed to see them cautiously have sex the first time, then have sex with wild abandon the second time. It served to highlight two lost people finding each other that had something strange in common that they bonded over.

It would have been poignant if they didn't later reveal that Jessica had killed Luke's wife, had been stalking him, and later tried to hide the truth from him.

Yeah, they served a purpose to the narrative of the show. You needed to see them cautiously have sex the first time, then have sex with wild abandon the second time. It served to highlight two lost people finding each other that had something strange in common that they bonded over.

It would have been poignant if they didn't later reveal that Jessica had killed Luke's wife, had been stalking him, and later tried to hide the truth from him.

I really didn't like that, and makes me iffy about a potential future Luke/Jessica pairing. It just seems out of character for Luke to be in a relationship with someone who murdered his wife and then lied about it and knowingly hid the information from him. Then again, I prefer Luke with Claire Temple, and hopefully something comes between them when Claire makes an appearance on Luke's show.

https://youtu.be/0FhkI6uoWcM?t=12m2s

Interview with Mahershala Ali and Alfre Woodard talking about their characters and they mention the usage of the n-word and how it'll be discussed on the show amongst various characters and contexts.

Cottonmouth uses the n-word while Mariah Dillard doesn't like that word.

I really didn't like that, and makes me iffy about a potential future Luke/Jessica pairing. It just seems out of character for Luke to be in a relationship with someone who murdered his wife and then lied about it and knowingly hid the information from him. Then again, I prefer Luke with Claire Temple, and hopefully something comes between them when Claire makes an appearance on Luke's show.

I've said in other Luke Cage related threads that I don't want Luke and Jessica having a relationship after that, it makes Luke look bad IMO. They can be on decent terms, but for them to date, get married and have a kid is just going way too far and ignores just how much Jessica violated Luke.

I wouldn't mind seeing Luke and Claire together. I've seen some people arguing Luke and Misty should get together.

To be fair Jessica killed Reva under the control of Purple Man. She was not in control of her actions and felt a great amount of guilt over killing her.

Luke seemed to understand what it was like for Jessica after he was controlled by Purple Man as well. He almost killed Jessica also.

The deception was the biggest issue. I don't think Jessica was planning on sleeping with him as it seemed to just happen in the moment. There isn't exactly a nice way or good time to say my rapist mind controlled me into murdering your wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"