Action-Adventure Mad Max: Furiosa Spinoff

It didn't. Comparatively to other blockbusters at the time it didn't do huge business, but it got great reviews and lots of awards hype.

But Mad Max, as influential as it is, has never been this huge blockbuster franchise. It's kind of like Blade Runner. Sci-fi classic, seminal, influential. Filmmakers worship it. And yet the sequel bombed.

For clarification in case anyone initially misreads that like I did - the sequel that bombed was Blade Runner’s not Mad Max’s.

Mad Max 2 (by looking at the numbers) was a phenomenal indicator for indie films at the time I’m guessing. 3 million budget, 23 million box office worldwide; films today would wish for that kind of multiplier - that performance, imo, is inspiring. Almost like (could be way off) the Paranormal Activity of its time in terms of budget and box office.

[to put inflation into account - the third film was 12 million budget, thus I’m guessing 3 mil at the time was still really independent]

Last edited:
I dont think it being Mad Max would have made a huge difference. Like flick had said, I could see like 10-15 mil more. I don't think it was the difference between this and like 100 mil OW

Oh yeah I am not saying it being a MM movie would automatically turn it into a smash hit breaking records, but it would have done better for sure.

For my part I’m not going to entertain this discussion anymore because I feel like I’m being hounded by 3 staff members simply because I didn’t like the film and have a justified different opinion.

Everyone and their mothers are seemingly jumping on me and I really don’t appreciate this at all. Its hard to keep up with the barrage of attacks and try to give people solid answers to everyone without everything getting piled upon me.

Even worse when I was super excited for this film to come out and gave it a ton of attention and time for now being treated almost like a persona non-grata for not conforming to something.

giphy.gif

Hope to see you back soon. I can understand the feeling as I had a similar experience a good while back. Since then, I just do my best to avoid direct contact with certain folks. I'll never block anyone, I like reading everyone's opinions, reviews and such. I just know there may be one or two I can't directly "chat with". Everyone has a right to their opinion.
While I can say I did very much enjoy this film, I can definitely understand the disappointment of not liking it especially if you were looking forward to it. I've had that feeling with past films as well.

Last edited:
Saw this last night. Real good time. Good performances and visuals and action. I think it suffers from some issues all prequels suffer from, but plays as a nice extension of Fury Road. Shame it's not making money but not surprising either.

I was very underwhelmed… the structure was off, didn’t really get invested into the origin of it all.

Some of the car chases were amazing, loved her mom. I really like ATJ but she just doesn’t feel like younger Charlize.

The high of the glider things was amazing, some with the opening motorcycle chases.

And… I loved George’s trippy genie movie.

For clarification in case anyone initially misreads that like I did - the sequel that bombed was Blade Runner’s not Mad Max’s.

Mad Max 2 (by looking at the numbers) was a phenomenal indicator for indie films at the time I’m guessing. 3 million budget, 23 million box office worldwide; films today would wish for that kind of multiplier - that performance, imo, is inspiring. Almost like (could be way off) the Paranormal Activity of its time in terms of budget and box office.

[to put inflation into account - the third film was 12 million budget, thus I’m guessing 3 mil at the time was still really independent]

OK and the long-awaited fourth film still only managed just over $150 million off of a $155 million budget, if not more because that's all that was reported. Fury Road's saving grace was its positive reception, great reviews, and awards hype. If you look at the biggest blockbusters of the 2000s and 2010s, Fury Road isn't even in the top 20, yet it was made on a comparable budget.

OK and the long-awaited fourth film still only managed just over $150 million off of a $155 million budget, if not more because that's all that was reported. Fury Road's saving grace was its positive reception, great reviews, and awards hype. If you look at the biggest blockbusters of the 2000s and 2010s, Fury Road isn't even in the top 20, yet it was made on a comparable budget.

Just over 154 million domestic, just over $380 million worldwide. If it was just 150 million total, that would have made Fury Road a flop. It (I believe, but could be wrong) just broke even.

Similarly a saving grace here could be worldwide, unsure how it's performing there though.

Just over 154 million domestic, just over $380 million worldwide. If it was just 150 million total, that would have made Fury Road a flop. It (I believe, but could be wrong) just broke even.

Similarly a saving grace here could be worldwide, unsure how it's performing there though.
Actually I saw recently that according to calculations the net loss for Fury Road was 20-40 million, depending on the actual budget.

Actually I saw recently that according to calculations the net loss for Fury Road was 20-40 million, depending on the actual budget.

Box Office Mojo has the budget at 150 million. Google has it come up as 154 million to 185 million. Thus, I'm unable to say either way.

Unsure where the 154 and 185 comes from for google vs. Box Office Mojo.

Box Office Mojo has the budget at 150 million. Google has it come up as 154 million to 185 million. Thus, I'm unable to say either way.

We know that the production budget can't have been higher than $157M. Miller was promised a bonus if he could keep the production budget lower than that, and sued for not being paid.

With a $150m budget they would've (only barely) made back their production budget in theaters. An additional $56M on video sales is quite nice. Even combined though, it was likely not enough to cover the marketing budget, which would be somewhere in the $100-150M range as well for a movie like this. That's where that $20-$40M loss estimate came from at the time.

This article (from 2018) explains the $154M vs $185M dispute.

Studios lie and underreport budgets all the time. They even do it to creatives as well.

Studios lie and underreport budgets all the time. They even do it to creatives as well.

Absolutely. From being in the industry, while there can sometimes be a sense of family - there is also may looking out for themselves as well; thus, why there’s so many reports about arguments on and off sets. That is to say the notion of them lying to creatives, trades, and outlets such as Box Office Mojo isn’t surprising but rather par the course.

Last edited:
Regardless where the budget lands, Fury Road was either mildly profitable or lost money theatrically depending upon where in that spectrum it fell. Yes it's made money sense through VOD and such and it has a positive reputation overall. But in terms of sheer profit, it isn't exactly a major win. Which is why I think we have to accept this series just has a certain ceiling

Loved this. Maybe not as much as Fury Road, but it was a blast. The cast rocked and Miller's worldbuilding was so fun. And I love that he remains willing to take totally new approaches with these films still, even as current pop culture trends demand predictability from franchises.

I really hope that this gets the strong legs it deserves.

So did Max being Furiosa back to the citadel? How else did she get there?

Sucks that the movie isn't doing well, but it just doesn't look good, and for an IP as niche as Mad Max, you definitely needed something to drag the GA in.

Hell, I loved The Road Warrior growing up, and have seen all the Mad Max films, but I personally don't care about watching Furiosa, and I'm supposed to be part of the "fans" group.

Sucks that the movie isn't doing well, but it just doesn't look good, and for an IP as niche as Mad Max, you definitely needed something to drag the GA in.

Hell, I loved The Road Warrior growing up, and have seen all the Mad Max films, but I personally don't care about watching Furiosa, and I'm supposed to be part of the "fans" group.
What do you like about the Mad Max series? What makes you a fan?

What do you like about the Mad Max series? What makes you a fan?
The practical effects mainly. Does it matter matter if I'm a "fan"? I didn't say I was, just pointing out that I've just seen all the movies and should be the demo that would make up the base of the film's audience and box office. If the film isn't interesting enough for someone like me to go want to watch it I can't even imagine the hard sell it is for the GA.
I’m sorry, I love The Road Warrior and was obsessed with it as a child but there is no universe in which Furiosa isn’t a wildly better film.
I guess I'll find out when it streams :shrug:

The practical effects mainly. Does it matter matter if I'm a "fan"? I didn't say I was, just pointing out that I've just seen all the movies and should be the demo that would make up the base of the film's audience and box office. If the film isn't interesting enough for someone like me to go want to watch it I can't even imagine the hard sell it is for the GA.
You said you were suppose to be a part of the "fans group". Is that not what a fan is?

I was asking because you said you weren't interested. I was curious why. And it seems to boil down to, "practical effects". If that's what your main interest I'm guessing the fierce performances, delectable dialogue, and watching such robust mythos manifest aren't going to sway you.

You said you were suppose to be a part of the "fans group". Is that not what a fan is?

I was asking because you said you weren't interested. I was curious why. And it seems to boil down to, "practical effects". If that's what your main interest I'm guessing the fierce performances, delectable dialogue, and watching such robust mythos manifest aren't going to sway you.

That and I have no interest in watching a Furiosa movie when FR already did a fantastic job of having her be the focus character.

You're not actually curious why I'm not swayed to go out and watch the movie, you're just trying to find a way to feel superior because someone isn't interested in watching a movie you clearly liked.

You asked why I like the Mad Max movies, and I said mainly the practical effects. The OG was a great revenge story, and The Road Warrior was fun. Thunderdome was entertaining. I really liked Fury Road, but Furiosa just doesn't look good enough to draw me in. Guess what? That's ok.

The issue is that if someone like me, who actually liked the previous movies, isn't interested in going to watch it, imagine trying to get the GA to come. That's the problem.

As much as I loved FR and Furiosa, The Road Warrior I think is the best film in the series. It's one of my favorite films of the 80s. FR is definitely has modern advances on its side, but overall experience I go with TRW

Saw this movie opening weekend and loved it. Not quite Fury Road for me but it doesn't need to be and well worthy of being part of the continuity. In fact come to think of it, I think this is the first time that a "Mad Max" movie connects so directly to another film in the franchise. All the other films have had loose connections and no recurring characters except Max.

As for the box office, unfortunately this was unsurprising. The franchise never was that huge with the mainstream audience and this many years apart from Fury Road along with Charlize not portraying the titular role probably shaved at least 5M to 10M. Hope this eeks out some legs or does well internationally. But yeah with the Cinemascore, looking kind of bleak.

Things have changed since the pandemic, and I have to wonder if the extremely short turnaround to digital release these days is a major factor especially for something niche like this. I mean think about it, early Digital releases are at times releasing within 2 and a half months and are 29.99, which essentially comes close to the price of 2 tickets at the theater AND you get to "keep" it. Only way to tell is to see the stats of Furiosa when it drops to streaming apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"