Blade Mahershala Ali is Blade, the Daywalker

Easily one of Marvel’s best casting decisions ever.

Will be even better if he dresses like this:

TombOfDracula10Feature.jpg

So good that we are getting this. :up:

What are the chances of having Blade in a 70s outfit battling Hypno Hustler?

Technically it was Ali's decision :cwink:

Yeah but at the end of the day, it’s up to the studio. Like, it didn’t matter how many times Tyrese showed up on the Warner Brothers lot dressed in a Green Lantern Halloween costume; he wasn’t getting that part, lol.

He was also excellent in Green Book (movie didn’t deserve to win Best Picture, but he deserved his award), True Detective and House of Cards.

Don't forget he was in Crossing Jordan season 1 as well!

Ali is amazing casting. my only worry is how the MCU is gonna handle a character like Blade in terms of darkness and violence.

and he was one the best characters in House of Cards
jesus this is great casting

There is no doubt about the casting. The action, on the other hand, I'm apprehensive.

A great choice. With regards to the action I feel the director, and yes possibly the rating, will determine if it matches the excellent sequences in the first 2 Blade movies.

Slight correction: we know we have Ali as Blade. "Daywalker" is a concept introduced in the original movie series, and we do *not* know for a fact that it will be any part of this reboot. I hope its not, for various reasons.

Slight correction: we know we have Ali as Blade. "Daywalker" is a concept introduced in the original movie series, and we do *not* know for a fact that it will be any part of this reboot. I hope its not, for various reasons.

Maybe he'll be a Nightcrawler instead.

I have zero qualms with the casting choice, but I am a little surprised they went with someone as old as Ali.

I was really expecting that, when the time came, it would be Trevante Rhodes or someone in that age range.

The way he talked, walked and even his hand gestures in Alita Battle Angel seems to be a testing ground if he can comfortably play and commit to a Blade character.

Even before the announcement, I immediately thought of Blade when I saw him in that movie, only thing missing was the fangs and sword lol.

FelineInfantileCassowary-max-1mb.gif

The way he talked, walked and even his hand gestures in Alita Battle Angel seems to be a testing ground if he can comfortably play and commit to a Blade character.

Even before the announcement, I immediately thought of Blade when I saw him in that movie, only thing missing was the fangs and sword lol.

FelineInfantileCassowary-max-1mb.gif
Yes :up:

This guy is built for this role.

I have zero qualms with the casting choice, but I am a little surprised they went with someone as old as Ali.

I was really expecting that, when the time came, it would be Trevante Rhodes or someone in that age range.

It think in a way you have to chalk that up to Snipes' time in the role. Whatever else you may say about him, Snipes had a very strong screen presence as Blade. While only 36 when the first film came out he just has a formidable presence in the part with the costuming etc.

I could see them looking at even a Rhoades (no offense, he's a fine actor) and feeling Blade has to have a charisma and presence that is hard to find in a younger performer.

Also... Given Ali's age, and I may get some pushback on this but... I don't think we've reckoned with the possibility that they may well go with the legacy hand off angle and adapt the Blade has a daughter he's training story that had been rumored in the comics but also for a bit when there was talk of Snipes himself possibly making a comeback in the role. Perhaps Ali may not be in the franchise for the long haul? We don't know all that much about what this movie is really going to be at this point. Marvel has it's black male starring super hero franchise already in Black Panther. Despite all the regular "wish upon a star" scenarios that X-Men fans post here regularly on the Hype, I don't think any of the mutant characters are getting solo films anytime soon so I think Storm is not getting her own movie. So... As it stands where might they look for a black female led film? Maybe they use Ali and the Blade name to hook the audience in and use it to give us Blade as a legacy passed onto the daughter?

Just spitballing but Marvel talks about diversity in it's output. Female led horror based franchise with a legacy aspect is pretty diverse, no?

Imagine Blade and Morbius crossing paths. That would be interesting.

I was surprised to find Ali is significantly older than Snipes was when he first took on Blade. Does make me question if age was the only factor for Snipes not coming back to the role. I don't think people would have balked at a soft reboot tbh.

Not that I really wanted Snipes in the roll after all this time. Though I think I was in the minority there, I was wanting a new face.

Ali is amazing casting. my only worry is how the MCU is gonna handle a character like Blade in terms of darkness and violence.

As long as he's not on the Avengers or they pull an Iron Man 2 by sacrificing his story to world build other aspects of the mcu then I'm fine. Maybe put him on a team with Ghost Rider or similar horror themed characters. Shame Morbius is with Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"