Man at bar mocks cop, cop kills him

Axl Van Sixx

Comrade
Reaction score
Initial report - http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=37723

A man at a bar in Murrieta, California ribbed an off-duty cop that he 'suck[ed] at darts,' the cop, 42-year-old Dayle Long, reportedly responded by pulling out a gun and executing him in front of a shocked crowd in an incident one man described as 'the most horrific scene I've seen in my entire life.'

Patch.com reports:
Chris Hull, a 39-year-old Temecula resident, said he was inside the bar and saw the shooting happen.

Hull said he witnessed a man walking up while Hull and a group of friends were playing darts. The man reportedly identified himself as an off-duty cop and started a discussion with the group about darts.

“We were playing darts, and he says 'I’m better at darts than you are,”' Hull said.

“My buddy says, ‘Aw, you suck at darts.’ (The man) says, ‘That’s why I’m a cop, I can do whatever I want to do.’”

Hull said his friend, identified only as Danny, asked the man, “Really, you can do anything?” The man then pulled out his gun, Hull said, and after the group repeatedly asked him to put it away he “pops three rounds into my friend Sam.”

Hull identified his friend as Sam Venettes. He didn't answer a request for Vanette's age or hometown, but said he was a "hardworking guy" who "works three jobs."

Police have not released any information on the name of the victim.

"I just watched the most horrific scene I've seen in my entire life," Hull told Patch.

"This is the worst day of my life."​
It should be noted, the cop was a 10-year veteran of the force.

Update: This article was posted to Reddit and is now on the front page. There is a huge comment thread with tons of great comments, check out this comment from the Patch.com reporter which has tons of new details and confirms the witness' account as accurate.
Update:

A man who was fatally shot -- allegedly by an off-duty deputy -- was unarmed, a District Attorney spokesperson said today.

The suspect, Dayle William Long, 42, a deputy with the Riverside County Sheriff's Department, allegedly killed 36-year-old Winchester resident Samuel Vanettes at Spelly’s Bar and Grille on Murrieta Hot Springs Road on Wednesday night.

To read witness accounts of the crime, click here.

Long appeared in a court at the Southwest Justice Center in French Valley today in a red prison uniform, shackled at the ankles and his wrists cuffed to a chain around his waist.

He was scheduled to be arraigned today, but the hearing was postponed, because the defense needed more time to go over the facts, said Deputy Public Defender Jeff Zimel.

"There is more to this story than what I've seen in the papers," he said after the hearing.

Victim was a "peacemaker"

The victim was trying to keep the peace in the bar when Long gunned him down, said John Hall, a spokesperson for the District Attorney's office.
Long and another bar patron were in a heated argument when Vanettes stepped in to break up the fight. That's when the off-duty deputy pulled out a handgun and shot him.

The victim died of multiple gunshot wounds on the floor of the bar, according to the sheriff's coroner.

"He came in to act as a peacemaker and ended up getting shot," Hall said.
To see a video taken at the crime scene just after the incident, click here.

The victim was unarmed and showing no aggressive behavior, Hall said.

Long is being held in lieu of $1 million bail and is scheduled to appear in court again for arraignment on Jan. 12, according to court records.

Camera shy

Long and his attorneys requested the media be barred from taking photos during the hearing, but Riverside County Superior Court Judge Angel Bermudez denied the request.

The suspect shirked several camera-toting reporters by keeping his face turned away and stepping only a few feet into the courtroom, dwelling near a wall rather than sitting in an area designated for defendants.

wow just....wow what an awful way to die and what a terrible thing to have witnessed.

None of the reports I've read say anything other than that he surrendered himself at the front door without a struggle.

I wonder if he went nuts because he didn't have his daily coffee & doughnuts fix for the day? :o

I hope the cop gets put in a prison where he sent people and he gets ravaged by angry and lonely prisoners for the rest of his life.

I hope the cop gets put in a prison where he sent people and he gets ravaged by angry and lonely prisoners for the rest of his life.

I have nothing against police officers, I sure as hell wouldn't want their job, but there sure does seem to be a good amount of crazy ones out there.

I have nothing against police officers, I sure as hell wouldn't want their job, but there sure does seem to be a good amount of crazy ones out there.

I suppose if postal workers have their moments, I guess cops can do so as well. :o

I think a certain frustration comes with not being able to fire your weapon. I think after so many years on duty this guy never saw enough action and then just finally lost it on someone.

Does it come down to over ego-ed cops, waiting for an excuse to open fire? I honestly can't believe this story. What an awful way to go out...

*waits for some assclown to reply saying that 'All Cops are scumbags & should be killed!', despite this being only one man & not the entire police force*

Anyway, yeah I hope this guy gets sent to jail for a long time or even be sentenced to death. This bum never should have been given a badge in the first place.

That won't happen. Cops who get sent to prison are never put into general population.

This cop clearly had a few loose screws to begin with...

I rarely show up in community. But wasn't this a thread in here a few weeks ago?

Yeah there's another thread about this lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"