Maps to the Stars

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Three More Grab "Maps to the Stars"

By Garth Franklin Thursday April 18th 2013 11:56PM
Julianne Moore, John Cusack and Sarah Gadon are set to join Robert Pattinson in David Cronenberg’s thriller "Maps to the Stars" at Entertainment One Films and Prospero Pictures.
Cronenberg helms from a script by Bruce Wagner about a ghost story and an attack on the celebrity-obsessed society of Los Angeles.
Shooting begins in July in Toronto and Los Angeles. Martin Katz and Said Ben Said will produce. Source: Variety

Wasikowska, Williams Travel With "Stars"

By Garth Franklin Thursday May 9th 2013 12:19AM
Mia Wasikowska, Olivia Williams and newcomer Evan Bird have all joined the thriller "Maps To The Stars" at eOne and Prospero Pictures.
Bruce Wagner penned the script which is described as a ghost story that also doubles as a commentary on celebrity culture in Los Angeles.
Bird will play a drug-addicted child star, Williams is his manipulative mother, and Wasikowska is his disfigured, schizophrenic, fame-obsessed sister.
Julianne Moore, John Cusack, Sarah Gadon and Robert Pattinson also star, while Martin Katz and Saïd Ben Saïd will produce.
Shooting kicks off in July in Toronto and Los Angeles.
Source: Screen Daily

Mia Waskowska joining the cast is very good news.

Did anyone ever see Cosmopolis? I never caught it.

First Look at Julianne Moore, John Cusack in David Cronenberg's Maps to the Stars

News
by Ryan Turek
November 06, 2013

We've landed the first two images from David Cronenberg's Maps to the Stars, a film that sounds a bit warped (Warped from Cronenberg? Wha...?) and stars Julianne Moore, Mia Wasikowska, Sarah Gadon, John Cusack and Robert Pattinson. Head inside for the pics which feature Moore and Cusack.

Here's the synopsis making the rounds at the AFM:
The Weiss family is the archetypical Hollywood dynasty: father Sanford is an analyst and coach, who has made a fortune with his self-help manuals; mother Christina mostly looks after the career of their son Benjie, 13, a child star.

One of Sanford's clients, Havana, is an actress who dreams of shooting a remake of the movie that made her mother, Clarice, a star in the '60s. Clarice is dead now and visions of her come to haunt Havana at night. Adding to the toxic mix, Benjie has just come off a rehab program he joined when he was 9 and his sister, Agatha, has recently been released from a sanatorium where she was treated for criminal pyromania...

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/new...cusack-in-david-cronenbergs-maps-to-the-stars

This is getting some insane reviews out of Cannes. It might finally win Cronenberg is long overdue Palme.

And it apparently contains an absolutely nasty performance from Julianne Moore.

Very very excited for this. His last two films were all kinds of amazing, both of them one of the best of their respective years.

This is getting some insane reviews out of Cannes. It might finally win Cronenberg is long overdue Palme.

And it apparently contains an absolutely nasty performance from Julianne Moore.

Very very excited for this. His last two films were all kinds of amazing, both of them one of the best of their respective years.

I really dug Cosmopolis. :BA

HOT MESS INCOMING

Yeah, the movie is very messy. I like Cosmopolis but MTTS goes a bit too far in the weird aspect more than once, I like aspects of it like Evan Bird who's really impressive, I wouldn't have guessed he could be that good after seeing him in The Killing, he perfectly sells the little dukee bag spoiled kid actor. I like also Pattinson's character.

The rest of the characters are kind of despicable. I never liked Julianne Moore but she's beyond gross in this movie, absolutely repulsive, I'm guessing it's sort of the point of her character, past her prime, but damn, so trashy & ugly, ugh.

There's notably a scene with her where she's
sitting on the toilet seat, pooping apparently, and we hear fart noises while Wasikowska's character is talking to her
seriously, wtf Cronenberg? That's the kind of scene, I just don't get how it can possibly end up in the movie, it serves no purpose whatsoever.

I'm trying to analyze the message of the movie or what it's saying but it's pretty vague & obscure, I'm gonna go with "MTTS is an analysis of what a disgusting & repulsive world Hollywood is and what it does to you, it f u c k s you up basically" which I'm guessing is more or less what it's about.

Needless to say, there's a lot of namedropping of stars & multiple references to the industry, so I think some people will kind of feel lost in all of it. There are parallels btw multiple characters, but I don't really get why it's here or if it's just part of the movie's commentary.

There's an incredibly crappy instance of CGI at the end of the movie, it shocked me how terrible that was :D But I think the ending, like the last 5 minutes are my favorite moment of the movie, it's still fu c k ed up but there's something coming out of it.

About the technical aspects, the score is good, the cinematography is very pedestrian, kind of like Cosmopolis, I kind of wish Cronenberg paid a bit more attention to this aspect, it just feels lazy & uninspired & bland visually, but that's what he wants here obviously.

Overall, the movie is just too messy although I have no doubt that some critics will yell "GENIUS", I have a hard time seeing why though. The mixed to very mixed reviews really represent the movie well, it can't be a movie with mass acclaim, just too weird & out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"