Margot Robbie to Headline Tonya Harding Movie

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/668679-margot-robbie-tonya-harding-movie

A Tonya Harding movie will see Suicide Squad’s Margot Robbie as the disgraced Olympian

The Wolf of Wall Street star Margot Robbie has signed on to headline a budding Tonya Harding movie that will tell the true story of the disgraced Olympic figure skater. Titled I, Tonya, the script originated as a spec by Steven Rogers, the scribe behind big screen fare like Kate & Leopold and Love the Coopers. Per Deadline, Rogers’ script is based on firsthand interviews with the real Tonya Harding and her former husband turned partner in crime Jeff Gillooly.

The Tonya Harding movie will shine a light on the infamous 1994 incident wherein the Olympic figure skater was connected to an attack on skating rival Nancy Kerrigan. Kerrigan was attacked by a hired thug following a practice session in Detroit. Although the intent was to break Kerrigan’s leg, the skater was only bruised and went on to significantly outperform Harding in the Olympics. Following the event, Harding was prosecuted for the attack alongside Gillooly and several additional parties.

Margot Robbie has been on a roll as of late. Last year she starred opposite Will Smith in Focus, opposite Chris Pine and Chiwetel Ejiofor in Z for Zachariah,and memorably cameoed as herself in Adam McKay’s The Big Short. She’s in theaters now opposite Tina Fey in Whiskey Tango Foxtrot and can be seen coming up in both the DC Comics antihero ensemble Suicide Squad and in the Edgar Rice Burroughs’ adaptation The Legend of Tarzan.

It’s still early days for I, Tonya, which does not yet have a director attached and is currently in the process of securing financing. Robbie herself will produce the project through her LuckyChap Entertainment while Bryan Unkeless is also set to produce through his Clubhouse Pictures.

(Photo Credit: C. Smith / WENN.com)
I remember when this happened, pretty shocking stuff, especially at the time, should be a good role for Margot.

Harding v. Kerrigan: Dawn of WHY? WHY? WHY?

[YT]NjUQMs0kVEI[/YT]

This is one of my favorite stories. I grew up with it, and I have watched the 30 for 30 countless times at this point.The story has all the qualities to make a fantastic film.

Curious to see if they're gonna make Margot look a bit more plain. I mean, it's not like she was Aileen Wuornos or anything, but she certainly never looked close to Margot.

I love how Margot is taking charge of her career by producing. Girl will be a HUGE star after SS.

Amy Adams 10 years ago would've been a perfect Tonya. Also, Anne Hathaway for Kerrigan.

I love how Margot is taking charge of her career by producing. Girl will be a HUGE star after SS.

Amy Adams 10 years ago would've been a perfect Tonya. Also, Anne Hathaway for Kerrigan.

Oh Gawd yes. I can actually picture her doing the "WHHHYYYYYYYY???"

Oh boy, does this story bring back memories. :funny:

Great choice for Margot though. Definitely a nice juicy role she can sink her teeth into.

:awesome:

It will be interesting to see how they do the makeup for her. This story was before my time, but from what I know of it it should make for a great movie.

Was thinking the same Kv. :csad: Circe 2010 (The Fighter) even.

They do look alike. :funny:

CeH_F3NUsAA0F_m.jpg

I can't believe anyone cares about this.
I'm going to pretend this is really a film about Harley trying to smash Batgirls kneecaps with a giant mallet, and that's why everyone is so exited.

tumblr_mt6rck7o8f1qavnj3o3_400.gif

Last edited:
Michelle Monaghan as Nancy Kerrigan. I know she's older than she was, but she's got the look.

Oh man, this sounds awesome.

I'm so glad Hollywood is going for 90's crime cases like this and The People vs. OJ Simpson.

I really hope they make something on Jon Benet Ramsey.

I was totally obsessed with the Ramsey, Harding, and Simpson cases.

Harding v. Kerrigan: Dawn of WHY? WHY? WHY?

[YT]NjUQMs0kVEI[/YT]

Kerrigan- The next time the Olympics come around don't go to them.

Harding with voice modulator- Tell me. Do your kneecaps break?

The ESPN 30 for 30 documentary The Price of Gold is one of my favorite 30 for 30

Not really a figure skating fan but the dynamics of the Harding-Kerrigan story are just a great non fiction rivalry story. Hope they can do it justice.

Not really thrilled to have Robbie play Harding but hopefully she won't be a total misfire. They need to sell Tonya's background for the story to be what it is

The ESPN 30 for 30 documentary The Price of Gold is one of my favorite 30 for 30

Not really a figure skating fan but the dynamics of the Harding-Kerrigan story are just a great non fiction rivalry story. Hope they can do it justice.

Not really thrilled to have Robbie play Harding but hopefully she won't be a total misfire. They need to sell Tonya's background for the story to be what it is

Yeah its one the better 30 for 30s. And because of it Ive thought about the casting for a movie based on this before. Im not really seeing Robbie for Harding I always pictured Amy Schumer for Harding and maybe Anne Hathaway for Karrigan.

Curious to see if they're gonna make Margot look a bit more plain. I mean, it's not like she was Aileen Wuornos or anything, but she certainly never looked close to Margot.

I'm more curious whether she'll put on weight for the role. Harding was stockier than most female skaters. That's why she could pull off triple axels.

I can't muster up an ounce of interest in this unless the trailers indicate an over the top styled black comedy of some sort.

Hopefully it's something like this.

[YT]/watch?v=KKjvmDWr8Rw[/YT]

Amy Adams can still do the movie if she wanted to. She looks young and Harding looks like a haggard woman.

I heard the script was completed 5 months ago. I don't think this is a character Amy is interested this point in her career.

I don't think Hathaway will play Kerrigan. This is Robbie's movie. Why would Hathaway play second fiddle to Robbie?

I'm old enough to remember the story told by sportcenter on a daily basis :oldrazz: and loved the 30 for 30

Amy Adams does look like harding but Robbie needs to be in make up ala
Theron in Monster

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"