Margot Robbie to Headline Tonya Harding Movie

Margot really needs to work on her accents a bit more. Usually Aussie actors are pretty good at doing them because our tongues are so lazy. Is this meant to be a dark comedy?

Trailer is hilarious, I'm so going to love this.

I had high expectations to that and im no way disappointed.

Awesome Performance from Robbie and Janney.
(and our Winter Soldier Looks still much better with short hair ;) )

I've been wanting to see this but no theater around me is showing it.

I, Tonya - 8.5/10

Darkly funny, briskly paced, and brilliantly acted. Allison Janney is especially excellent in her thoroughly unlikable role.

The movie did a good job making it clear that Tonya was both a victim and a perpetuator of her own victimhood, e.g. the way she kept returning to Jeff.

The one part that confused me was the movie's admission that Tonya had written down Nancy's practice schedule - thereby negating her innocence - while continuing to portray her as having had no foreknowledge of the crime. It's a testament to Robbie's skill that I still pitied Tonya in the courthouse scene.

The story of the incident is one I have watched a lot of things on. So while watching this, it was clear to me they watched the 30 for 30 for a lot of material for this one. That being said, I loved it. Not perfect, but pretty great. The two leads are fantastic. The whole cast really. My major problem though was attempting whitewash the involvement of Tonya and Jeff, while still pointing out how much of a liar and hypocrite Tonya is. Of course she was involved. Also, the skating scenes weren't the best. Too much obvious green screen and CGI imo.

Last edited:
Like I said, the way the movie presented Tonya's involvement in the attack on Nancy was confusing. We learn from the Hard Copy reporter that Nancy's practice schedule was written in Tonya's handwriting, but we're told over and over again by Jeff and Tonya (and never shown differently) that the plan was simply to send threatening letters to Nancy and the decision to attack her was undertaken unilaterally by Shawn. It makes no sense.

I loved this film. Best ensemble work of the year. Robbie should be winning for this, sadly she won't

Like I said, the way the movie presented Tonya's involvement in the attack on Nancy was confusing. We learn from the Hard Copy reporter that Nancy's practice schedule was written in Tonya's handwriting, but we're told over and over again by Jeff and Tonya (and never shown differently) that the plan was simply to send threatening letters to Nancy and the decision to attack her was undertaken unilaterally by Shawn. It makes no sense.
Yep. I think its an attempt to garner sympathy for the pair, that is completely unnecessary. They are clearly responsible. They could have played the unreliable narrative, but they decided to direct state they weren't involved, and I did not like that.

One thing I did love about this movie was Shawn. He was basically an even more delusional, less competent Walter Sobchak. :funny:

Shawn was hilarious in the film, but that short real-life footage in the end made the performance seem a bit of a caricature (but maybe that's fitting).

Real-life Shawn was less of an obvious dolt. Still delusional, but more competent in his external manner of speaking.

I loved this film. Best ensemble work of the year. Robbie should be winning for this, sadly she won't

She was so good.

I'm suprised people like Ronan's performance more which was still good but not really as challenging and impressive as Robbie was.

The film as a whole was really great.
The CGI and Sebastian's fake mustache should have been better though. They were too noticeable.

Now, would like to see Margot playing a Amy Dunne kind of role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"