Mark Gordon To Produce 'The Phantom'

Billy Zane as the first Phantom in opening sequence (or flashbacks)
Mel Gibson as the father, the current Phantom
(make him younger like how they did with Anthony Hopkins in the beginning of Zorro)
Logan Lerman as his son

I suspect if BLACK PANTHER is well-received, we'll hear some serious talk about The Phantom again.

RIP Paul Ryan

Sad news, I'm a big fan of his style:csad: rest in peace.

Hermes Press to reprint Avon Novels

I have tried to get my hands on those books for years. I planned to break into C. Lee's house and borrow his collection, but this will save me a lot of trouble:yay:

Speaking of Hermes press, when the heck will The Phantom #5 be published on Comixology.com? It has been great so far...

I suspect if BLACK PANTHER is well-received, we'll hear some serious talk about The Phantom again.

Again this speaks to going GRAY(with only a hint of purple) with the costume...
giphy.gif

They need to reclaim catchy epithets like the "Gray Ghost" and "Ghost who Walks" and have people associate it with the character again.

Also use the "eye-lenses" masked look, with modern materials and cg there is no excuse, the Phantom was the first character to use them.

There is so much derivative thematic and visual stuff out there right now that's popular, there's no reason this characters shouldn't work today, The Phantom just needs to reclaim it.

Last edited:
I look forward to the day when I see the trailer for the new Phantom movie. I'm probably forty or fifty years old when it happens, but I'm a very patient person

Who should be the new Phantom? If anything I would say Josh Duhamel

Dont think Josh is a wise choice. Although I hope they move forward on the Phantom movie. He has to be Someone that has a brooding & menacing look or stare to them. Phantom is supposed to be the GHOST that walks and predates Batman.

Just read the four part DC Comics miniseries by Peter David, and three of the 13 issues, also by DC Comics. The four part mini isn't very good (messy art, too much focus on action. Peter David has redeemed himself with the new series from Hermes Press), but the series that followed is excellent.

I remember when they published the story called "Hate" in my country's Phantom comic magazine, where The Phantom fights a group of white supremacists. I thought it kicked so much ass. "Phantom by DC Comics? DC as in Batman?" I think they should reprint the whole thing...if the next Phantom movie is more serious, this is the way to do it.

(and no spoilers, please, I haven't read all the issues yet!:hehe:)

The three part series by Marvel isn't bad either, but I don't think they should mess around too much with his costume, and the Phantom works better without gadgets and technology. That's one of the things I like best about the character...fists and guns, no Phantomarangs, Phantomobile or Phantom-toilet paper.

Not impressed by Dynamite's Last Phantom. Haven't read all of it, but it seemed kind of stupid. Maybe I'll give it a chance some day...

Just read the four part DC Comics miniseries by Peter David, and three of the 13 issues, also by DC Comics. The four part mini isn't very good (messy art, too much focus on action. Peter David has redeemed himself with the new series from Hermes Press), but the series that followed is excellent.

I remember when they published the story called "Hate" in my country's Phantom comic magazine, where The Phantom fights a group of white supremacists. I thought it kicked so much ass. "Phantom by DC Comics? DC as in Batman?" I think they should reprint the whole thing...if the next Phantom movie is more serious, this is the way to do it.

(and no spoilers, please, I haven't read all the issues yet!:hehe:)

The three part series by Marvel isn't bad either, but I don't think they should mess around too much with his costume, and the Phantom works better without gadgets and technology. That's one of the things I like best about the character...fists and guns, no Phantomarangs, Phantomobile or Phantom-toilet paper.

Not impressed by Dynamite's Last Phantom. Haven't read all of it, but it seemed kind of stupid. Maybe I'll give it a chance some day...

Those are all good sources to draw from to make a new series. instead of a big budget movie.

Moonstone's run on the character is the absolute best version outside of the Lee Falk strip from 1966 to 1999. Ben Raab who is famous mostly as an X-men scribe gave The Phantom a purple car that he dubbed the Phantom's Skull Car in an OGN by Moonstone called The Hunt. Mike Bullock who wrote a large majority of Moonstone's Phantom gave the character kevlar in a reboot 12 issue series called The Ghost Who Walks. Chuck Dixon (creator of Bane, writer of The Punisher @ Marvel) also wrote some great stories for The Phantom at Moonstone.

Does the current comic movie craze warrant a new Phantom movie? Do the current fans think his character is a big draw?

Dont think Josh is a wise choice. Although I hope they move forward on the Phantom movie. He has to be Someone that has a brooding & menacing look or stare to them. Phantom is supposed to be the GHOST that walks and predates Batman.

If we indeed want a Josh to play The Phantom, I'd like to suggest Josh Hartnett.
latest

Does the current comic movie craze warrant a new Phantom movie? Do the current fans think his character is a big draw?

We have been over this on the MotU thread. The short version is- ANY movie that is well made and well marketed can be successful. Especially with the genre experiencing a boom.

If we indeed want a Josh to play The Phantom, I'd like to suggest Josh Hartnett.
latest

'That' Josh is a much more suitable choice.

We have been over this on the MotU thread. The short version is- ANY movie that is well made and well marketed can be successful. Especially with the genre experiencing a boom.

I agree 100%. Just wondered if Phantom was on the wishlist for comic fans.

Josh Hartnett as Kit Walker/The Phantom now that I think about it I can actually see him as The Phantom

I was just thinking what film studio or other entity holds the rights to the Phantom.
Could he be up for grabs by whatever studio wants him ?

Last edited:
When I was little I taped Defenders episodes on vhs and role played the Phantom with my best friend, who acted out Mandrake.
As an adult I still would like a great and accurate Phantom movie, but I definetly think there's an ugly white savior trope problem.
While in Iron Fist's case I'm of the opinion it is more of a soft subversion of the trope, with him being the outsider in both worlds, the Phantom would just be insulting nowadays being a "pure" white man after twenty and counting generations outside of Europe.
He would come across as anti-miscegenation (not like that's a thing anyway, scientifically).
I say set it in the 15th century or ditch the exotic history...
Better yet, go non-caucasian with the casting.
Maybe in Phantom's case people would even not bring this up, but I would prefer the concern.

IDK...I'd love to see modern takes on this and the Shadow, but I don't see it happening. The Phantom's suit is just one of many issues this has going against it. These properties have already had their heyday. Maybe it's just best to leave them in the past?

As an adult I still would like a great and accurate Phantom movie, but I definetly think there's an ugly white savior trope problem.
While in Iron Fist's case I'm of the opinion it is more of a soft subversion of the trope, with him being the outsider in both worlds, the Phantom would just be insulting nowadays being a "pure" white man after twenty and counting generations outside of Europe.
He would come across as anti-miscegenation (not like that's a thing anyway, scientifically).
I say set it in the 15th century or ditch the exotic history...
Better yet, go non-caucasian with the casting.
I'll defer to someone more expert in the Phantom lore, (where are you Goshdarn Batman?
33535.jpg
) as to how important the specifics of that are to the lore, but seems easy enough to work around, or better, to expand on.
The specific location of the original fictitious island of the Skull cave where the first ancestor of the Phantom washed ashore, were never essential. Falk himself moved it from somewhere in Asia (Indian ocean) to off of Africa. Heck the fact that it can't be located and there are legends about it, should play into the whole mystery of it.
Have another legend that places it at a fictitious extension off the Hebrides, the Azores or another off Scandinavian islands in the northern seas. The inhabitants, could be long gone, which you don't even have to see can feature Celtic, Gaelic, Scandinavian, Norse symbols and look. It doesn't mater. You just need a skull symbolism theme he can pick up, and a cool looking cave, which can be found anywhere.
Ancient shipping lanes, are found across the globe, where piracy and smuggling could take place, that is what maters, that the legend and fear of the Ghost who Walks is kept alive, first among the pirates, then smugglers, to any modern corrupt global enterprise, however they want to play it.

The Phantom's suit is just one of many issues this has going against it. These properties have already had their heyday. Maybe it's just best to leave them in the past?

Batman's suit was pretty much the exact thing with a cape and ears added, illustrated with blue highlights.
If Batman can be updated, with keeping the spirit of the original, so can Phantom.
Again this speaks to going GRAY(with only a hint of purple) with the costume...
giphy.gif
The Black Panther's suit as above, is a clear example what they can do with modern materials, just open up the cowl.
They are hardly passed their heyday, as both have movies coming.
As indicated the original Phantom suit was gray, they just need to de-saturate the suit colors some (Spider-Man Superman).
As far as time period; both Captain America and Wonder Woman delivered successful movies set in 1918-1940s
Depending on how it's approached, none of those are necessarily the absolute obstacles you say they are.
The Phantom can successfully set up the legacy aspect, from the first to a modern day incarnation.

Last edited:
Batman's suit was pretty much the exact thing with a cape and ears added, illustrated with blue highlights.
The Black Panther's suit as above, is a clear example what they can do with modern materials, just open up the cowl.
They are hardly passed their heyday, as both have movies coming.
As indicated the original Phantom suit was gray, they just need to de-saturate the suit colors some.
Both Cap. A and Wonder Woman delivered successful movies set in 1918-1940s
Dep[ending on how it's approached, none of these are necessarily obstacles.

You need an audience, and sadly, I just don't think a large enough one exists to warrant spending the money. Plus, think about the things they used to tackle. They're pretty small and insignificant by today's standards of superhero fare. Like I said, I wish it wasn't the case because I'd LOVE a current Shadow film, but I just don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong buddy, but I'd be shocked if this actually gets made. Here's to hoping though! :up:

You need an audience, and sadly, I just don't think a large enough one exists to warrant spending the money.
You sound like the guy saying Blade, Iron-Man or Guardians of Galaxy don't have the audience to warrant movies.
Or the guy with zero vision once saying you can't reboot Batman after Schumacher.

Plus, think about the things they used to tackle. They're pretty small and insignificant by today's standards of superhero fare.
Who did Batman fight/tackle in the DK trilogy.
The Indiana Jones franchise, had both historic and supernatural elements. Phantom is a hybrid of the two, where both those franchises can beautifully intersect.

Last edited:
I actually think that The Phantom's suit is pretty badass. I like it more when it's colored blue than purple though.

lee-falks-fantomen-de-basta-aventyren-2_150.jpg
s26.jpg
s15.jpg

lee-falks-fantomen-de-basta-aventyren-2_150.jpg
s26.jpg
s15.jpg

I actually think that The Phantom's suit is pretty badass. I like it more when it's colored blue than purple though.
One word - "Iridescence"

You can have both blue and purple in the same material.
1vuj7r.gif

It exists both in nature

And modern materials
1vui1s.gif

While a bit bright, a mostly gray or desaturated suit, could shift towards either end of the spectrum, depending on what light hits it. This could be worked into a night and day illusion and camo-effect.
Plus as discussed earlier it plays into the real world mythology of the character, you won't find two publishers that used the same color, because the character as originally published was gray.
And as an internationally known hero, leading to many countries choosing/projecting their own random colors onto the neutral grey uniform. The question of what color he is exactly? Is precisely the kind of real world myth-building that should be expressed in the film.

Last edited:
You sound like the guy saying Iron-Man or Guardians ot Galaxy don't have the audience to warrant movies.
Or the guy with zero vision once saying you can't reboot Batman after Schumacher.

Who did Batman fight/tackle in the DK trilogy.
The Indiana Jones franchise, had both historic and supernatural elements. Phantom is a hybrid of the two, where both those franchises can beautifully intersect.

Ok now this is just getting silly. Never did I think or say anything about those other properties, but to even remotely compare those to The Phantom is ludicrous. I get it...you REALLY want a Phantom movie, and by all means...keep hope alive, but the fact that you're even remotely comparing the Phantom to ANY of those other projects just makes it seem like you're delusional about what the Phantom is in comparison. I'm not gonna argue with you because clearly you believe there's an audience for this and I clearly don't. Let's just agree to disagree and not waste any more space on the forum buddy. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"