Mark Millar & Frank Quitely: Jupiter's Children

Drz

Real Hero
Reaction score
Mark Millar & Frank Quitely: Jupiter's Children!

1326318285.jpg
Whats it about?:
“It opens in France in the 1920s, which immediately for a superhero story is a very different location. We start on a bunch of explorers kind of like that opening from ‘King Kong,’ which I love, and they’re doing an exploration of the ancient world – these rich Americans who have put together an expedition to find something you’ll hear about in the story. From those first few pages, and a doomed expedition, we cut to the present day, and they came home from that trip altered and with a plan to save the American idea. In historical context, the Russian revolution is relatively recent and Europe is in a state of turmoil and they’re just on the cusp of the Wall Street Crash so they’ve gone on this trip to try and save America and then we cut to their utterly useless, meandering children in the present day essentially squandering their inheritance. It’s not crass and celebrity focused, although it touches on that stuff. It’s more Shakespearean, with the last of the old heroes, a King Lear figure, watching these teenagers and twenty-something with no altruism whatsoever. There’s a massive regret in his eyes as he looks around at the world he’s leaving behind, very much the world we see today with the Euro-zone collapse and industrial decline and six billion people worried about the future, he feels the children and grand-children of he and his friends just aren’t up to the job. But this is just the starting point. This is like saying that Star Wars is about Darth Vader boarding a ship and kidnapping the Princess. This is the first eight or ten pages and we just run with it from here.”

“You’ve got the financial, and America losing power and influence to China, of course, but at the same time, there are massive internal problems in China with social engineering being just one of them. Over the last generation, there have been too many males born, so you’re looking towards a massive social collapse over there. Huge unrest within the next decade. The Arab world is obviously in chaos and we have the European problems and the governments of the world asking these new, young heroes to help. But they can’t. Half of them can barely read a book. Adamantium claws doesn’t mean you know the specific pros and cons of quantative easing. But like I said, this is the backdrop where the adventure takes places. It’s a huge, grand operatic piece that runs for ten issues and does super-heroics on a scale I’ve never even tried in something like ‘The Ultimates.’”
The concept sounds so Universe large!

Last edited:
Loved their work on the Authority so I'm definitely picking this up. Quietly and Millar on a giant epic superhero? I want this now.

This is the first Millar book in a while that has peaked my interests.

Sounds like a potentially great concept, though I haven't been very fond of Millar's recent work. Superior was pretty good, but nothing particularly amazing. I'll pick this up for Quietly's art, though. I'll most likely trade wait it, too. I would buy singles, but I'm wagering the delays on this will, at least, probably be on par with the other Millarworld titles.

I read the thread title as "Jupiter's Chicken" lol. I'll be picking this up as I am a Millar fanboy.

^

I'm not a big fan of Quitely's work, though it doesn't look as grotesque as usual here. Thanks for posting the article. After reading Millar's words, I am intrigued.

This could be the biggest piece of **** ever put between two covers, and I'll still read it. Know why?

Frank Quitely.

Having said that though, I have a HUGE soft spot for Millar's stuff so I'm looking forward to this.

Frank Quitely & Mark Millar's 'Jupiter's Legacy' Examined From Top To Bottom [Review]

David Brothers said:
I have a love/hate relationship with Mark Millar's work. When I was getting back into comics as an adult, his work with Frank Quitely and Bryan Hitch on The Authority and The Ultimates were fairly instrumental in keeping me reading. As time went on, though, and his books descended deeper into pandering to the lowest common denominator, I began losing interest. But he keeps working with artists I dig, so I'm routinely tempted to at least flip through. Jupiter's Legacy is out this week, and it's his first book with Frank Quitely since The Authority ended and the first long form work Quitely has done without Grant Morrison in forever. I like Quitely's art work a lot, and Peter Doherty's colors are generally a treat.

So I sat down with Jupiter's Legacy and tried to figure out what works, what doesn't, and how I feel about that. This is a thorough autopsy, so grab your comic and read along.

*That* Panel From Jupiter’s Legacy #1

Rich Johnston said:
We ran the first review of Jupiter’s Legacy #1, out today, last week. During which we mentioned a very specific panel by artists Frank Quitely and Peter Doherty in which a telepath created a new reality, and does so showing different levels of realities as fully print-ready art, just the colour guides and then the pencils, literally showing the creative process as an analogy for a very different one.

First Review: Jupiter’s Legacy #1 by Mark Millar, Frank Quitely and Peter Doherty

Rich Johnston said:
It’s the new, much anticipated creator owned superhero comic from Mark Millar and Frank Quitely, coloured by Pete Doherty It’s reported to have pre-orders in the region of 150,000, putting it well into the top five for the month at least. There’s a lot of expectation and hope resting upon it.

But the first thing out of the gate, you’re going to think is that you’re watching an episode of a familiar TV series. A group of young folk trying to persuade a ship’s captain to take them and a crew to a mysterious island on an empty point of a map that they saw in a dream, that is an answer to all the world needs. It even holds back on what happens on the island. But it is old, it is full of knowledge and it calls to people.

Whooshy sound increasing in volume. Cut to black. LOST. But as a superhero origin story.

I had no intention of picking this up when it came out but quietly's art peaked my interest. I ended up loving it. I'm not much of an indy reader, having only read Millar's work on Civil War and Wolverine, but I'm glad I got this. I'll definately see it through to its end.

I know millar's personality turns people off, but his writing is very ballsy.

A Jupiter’s Legacy Tweak At DC Comics…
Rich Johnston said:
Remember “What If The Batman Was The Joker?” used to promote the original Nemesis comic from Mark Millar and Steve McNiven (and yes, where has its sequel gone?)

DC Comics persuaded Mark to change that strategy.

Well, let’s see the solicit posted by Comic Book Resources with an exclusive preview of artwork.
“Celebrate the 75th anniversary of Superman this month by buying this frankly much-more interesting book by superstar creators MARK MILLAR and FRANK QUITELY.”
Yeah. I don’t expect DC will like that any more…
Grant Morrison Talks “Multiversity,” “Wonder Woman: Earth One”
DC’s favorite creator spoke with Crave Online about his magnum opus project for the DC Multiverse.
Andy Hunsaker said:
Multiversity #4: Pax Americana.
Morrison said this is "the next stage" of Quitely, and "honestly, it kicks the ass of whatever he's doing with Mark Millar right now."

What happened with this? I can't find any info anywhere. Was it cancelled or something or is Millar just taking his super, sweet ass time. He's said there was supposed to be 10-12 issues but we only got 4 and its been almost a year since the last issue dropped. Safe to say it's been cancelled then?

It's probably less Millar and more Quietly. He's notoriously slow, and he was also working on Morrison's Multiversity roughly at the same time, and while it was only one issue, it was a pretty complicated piece that probably took him a while. Now that he's done with that, he'll probably go back to this, though nothing has been said for sure that I know of.

I've just heard so many great things about this I decided to grab the first 4 issues and then I looked it up and seen none had come out since January and it blew me away. That's a hell of a delay.

Last edited:
I recall Millar saying they were not on any formal or particular schedule and that it would certainly not come out monthly. Very disappointing though as this was at the tippy-top of my pull list.

I've just heard so many great things about this I decided to grab the first 4 issues and then I looked it up and seen none had come out since January and it blew me away. That's a hell of a delay.

Welcome to the pain of being a Quietly fan. The wait on All Star Superman was brutal.

I can imagine. If this is taking this long then, damn.

EXCLUSIVE: Brian and Mark Gunn Writing Jupiter's Legacy Film
HrTxSgBgna4.jpg

Chase Magnett said:
Screenwriters Brian and Mark Gunn are officially writing a film adaptation of the hit comic book series Jupiter's Legacy from writer Mark Millar and artist Frank Quitely. It was announced last year that Millar and producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura had partnered to develop an adaptation of the story, but no updates had been released until today. The Gunns met with Millar yesterday and are currently hard at work on the screenplay.

Jupiter's Legacy is the story of a world filled with superheroes where the next generation decides to overthrow the status quo seizing control of the United States by force in an ill-advised attempt to improve the world around them. The comic series reflects both on the superhero genre and the nature of hope in the face of overwhelming problems, as well as the changing perspective between generations.

Bonaventura has produced a variety of major blockbusters before, including comics-related franchises like Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Constantine. The Gunns are best know for previously collaborating on the story and screenplay for Journey 2: The Mysterious Island. They are also related to director James Gunn best known for his work on the comics adaptation Guardians of the Galaxy.

ComicBook.Com writer Chase Magnett had the opportunity to ask the Gunns a few questions about their plans to adapt the series to the big screen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What attracted you to the concept of Jupiter's Legacy initially?

We love that it’s a superhero story about families. How it takes big superhero iconography and makes it relatable to anyone who wrestles with their relationship to their mom or dad, or brother or sister, or son or daughter. It feels very human-sized. We ourselves grew up in a sprawling Irish-Catholic family that was sorta like a discount Midwest version of the Kennedys. Our parents and grandparents were political leaders, lawyers, judges, titans of industry. So when we were growing up we struggled with this family legacy - this burden of living up to the standards of those who came before us, this sense that the past was noble and glamorous while our lives were somehow less than, a falling off. Some of us from this current generation have gone on to do cool things - while others of us have dealt with feeling like misfits and disappointments. It’s this struggle which is at the heart of Jupiter’s Legacy, and which we’re really excited to bring to the screen.

Comics written by Mark Millar have seen a lot of success in being adapted to the big screen, from Kick-Ass to Kingsman. What do you think makes his concepts so appealing and able to be adapted from comics to film?

Mark is a master at telling stories about superheroes in the real world. Even Secret Service, which is very elevated and stylized - it feels like a tall tale - has grounded characters with authentic backgrounds. This is one of the many reasons his comics make for good films: they make the unbelievable believable.

Frank Quitely has defined the look of superheroes in comics multiple times and is doing it again in Jupiter's Legacy. When thinking about transforming the comic into a movie, what visual elements do you think will distinguish it from the other superhero films of today?

We’ve been a fan of Frank Quitely’s work for a long time. In fact, many of his strengths are the same as Mark’s - he’s able to take big iconic heroes and, with just a slight shrug of the shoulders, or a heaviness to their gait, make them fallible, human, close to us. That mixture of larger-than-life and down-to-earth really informs our take on the material. As for what visual elements of Jupiter’s Legacy stand out from other superhero films - well, one big one is how Frank portrayed Walter’s powers. Think, for example, of the panel in the first book, where Walter traps Blackstar in a kind of psychic painting, the full-color image boxed within fainter pen-and-ink drawings. We found this incredibly evocative. It offers all kinds of fun surrealistic possibilities that aren’t quite like anything we’ve seen in other superhero films.

Superheroes have never been a hotter commodity in Hollywood and this is a comic that deconstructs the genre while also embracing it. How do you expect audiences to respond to a movie that's as much about their favorite genre of blockbuster as it is part of it?

Obviously fans of the genre will be able to pick up all kinds of allusions in the material - The Utopian, for example, as a version of Superman, or Skyfox as Batman. Even the sequences on the island can be seen as a play on King Kong or Indiana Jones. The important thing is to use these references as starting points - not just let them sit there as hyperlinks that you can pat yourself on the back for picking up on, but to expand on them, breathe new life into them.

Jupiter's Legacy isn't just about superheroes though. It's a story of politics, the future, hope, and generations. What themes and concepts are you discovering have the most resonance as you create your own treatment of the story?

One of the really cool things about Jupiter’s Legacy is how it encompasses the entire sweep of American politics over the past century - the Great Depression, World War II, the culture wars of the Sixties, and so on. But it’s not just about history - it’s very of-the-moment as well. Look at the candidacy of Donald Trump, with his slogan Make America Great Again, or look at the battles in the U.S. and Europe over whether to include immigrants and refugees and Muslims into the mainstream and you’ll see that the anxiety over who we are vs. who we used to be is at a fever pitch right now. These controversies really informed our take - particularly with how we see Walter, a paranoiac who wants to build higher walls, an entire surveillance/police state, to root out his enemies.

The story has a very epic scope with dozens of characters, time jumps, huge action sequences, and a significant thematic split at its center. Do you see this as a story that can be told in a single film, and how much of a challenge would that be to adapt?

We’re going to give you an annoying answer: yes and no.

Yes, we plan to tell a completely standalone story with a nice shape and a satisfying climax. And yet we don’t see it as completely closed-off either. The canvas is too big. The generations of characters too sprawling. The world Mark depicted can spiral off into so many different directions. It demands sequels!

So I finished Circle and Legacy and honestly those books are the best original superhero books I’ve read in years. Fantastic art by Quitely and Torres on Legacy and Circle respectively. From the themes to the great action and character development it’s truly amazing. If done right this could be the next great superhero Movie or television franchise for Netflix depending which way they go. I highly recommend this series and I can’t wait for the third book in the trilogy Jupiter's Requiem in 2019. You can definitely feel the Star Wars influence in these books. Do yourself a favor and read this Epic superhero saga.:up: Anyway rant over.

Edit: Also forgot to give credit to the awesome Mark Millar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"