Martin McDonagh's "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"

This looks incredible, as expected!

That trailer was sad and hilarious at the same time, just like In Bruges. Looks fantastic, and judging by the trailer, the dialogue seems to be of the same quality as found in In Bruges. Can't wait!

That trailer was terrific. I expect nothing less from McDonagh. This is probably my most anticipated new movie release.

The trailer for this had me rolling.

This premiered at Venice, getting very good/great reactions. Hell of a lot of praise for McDormand. Some quotes (some of these articles might be a bit spoilery, so click at your own risk):

No film since Fargo has made so much use of [McDormand's] potent talents.[/QUOTE
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/three-billboards-outside-ebbing-missouri-review

what is most impressive about McDonagh’s movie is its freewheeling nature, its bottle-rocket sensibility; its awareness that people can turn 180 degrees on a dime. Three Billboards sets forth as a modern-day western, complete with mariachi music and a crossfire of hard stares across sleepy Main Street. Then it zigs left to sketch a comic small-town portrait, zags right to become a roguish picaresque. Old assumptions are overturned, unlikely alliances are forged in adversity
5/5
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...ouri-review-frances-mcdormand-martin-mcdonagh

“Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri” certainly feels in line with Martin McDonagh’s previous films, lathering on all the delightful profanity, corrosive one-liners, and acrid curveballs that spiked “In Bruges” and “Seven Psychopaths” with rakish charm. But here McDonagh has crafted the ultimate bait and switch, a film that carries its weary nihilism with a surprisingly light touch, an affectation later dropped in favor of an unexpected message of grace. Which is to say that not only is “Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri” the director’s most accomplished film yet, it’s also his most compassionate.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/th...i-review-frances-mcdormand-venice-1201872841/

It’s McDormand’s passion that welds the picture together. She makes Mildred a heroic fighter, but the actress has never played someone so eaten up by fury, to the point that it renders the character — and the performance — at once sympathetic and forbidding. Yet it’s Mildred’s glowering refusal to back down that defines her, and McDormand brilliantly spotlights the conflicted humanity beneath the stony façade. On some level Mildred is just a small-town single mom who works in a gift shop, but she wears her jumpsuit and gray-polka-dotted bandana like a soldier’s uniform, lashing out at everyone within earshot, a quest McDormand makes at once crazy-fearless, stubbornly infuriating, and noble. Mildred’s son, Robbie, is played by Lucas Hedges (from “Manchester by the Sea”) with a cautious poise that cues us to see that dealing with his mother has never been a picnic.
http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/review-three-billboards-review-frances-mcdormand-1202546444/

--------------
So far the release dates are:

Italy ------ 4 September 2017 (Venice Film Festival)
Canada ---- 10 September 2017 (Toronto International Film Festival)
UK ---------- 15 October 2017 (London Film Festival)

USA ---------- 10 November 2017

Australia ----- 1 January 2018
New Zealand ----- 1 January 2018
Italy ---------- 11 January 2018
Spain ---------- 12 January 2018
UK ---------- 12 January 2018
Argentina ----- 25 January 2018
Germany ----- 25 January 2018
Singapore ----- 25 January 2018

Poland ---------- 2 February 2018
Philippines ----- 14 February 2018
France ---------- 28 February 2018

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5027774/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf

Irish release is probably the same as the UK one, which sucks.

Last edited:
That's great to hear! Can't wait for this.

New trailer
[YT]nefD7UOhLCo[/YT]

Martin Mcdonagh gets best screenplay award at Venice

McDonagh was honored with the best screenplay prize in Venice, with reviews lauding the playwright for his sharp dialogue and storytelling. On the Lido, the film elicited numerous outbursts of applause after monologues from stars Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell.

Couple of other excerpts:
Was it difficult to keep a sense of humor while dealing with such heavy topics?

No, it’s kind of always what I do in the plays and films. It’s always that balance. It’s never so funny that it’s not serious, but it’s never so serious that it’s not funny. This time we had to make sure that it didn’t tip over into humor, pure humor or silly humor. We had to keep the tragedy focused all the time. And that was easy, especially with Frances, we just had to keep true to her journey, her story. And these other funny or whatever things can happen around it, but her story specifically had to be dead serious.

But in a slightly earlier edit, there was probably a bit more comedy, probably more Sam Rockwell at the start being a little more silly. That will be on the DVD extra. There was a great drunk scene. They were all great scenes and hard to cut but they tipped it, not into a comedy, but into less of a serious sad story. So the balance is exactly right for me. It never gets so sad that it’s depressing or completely bleak. I hope the humor eases that bitter pill a little bit. But I hope also the humor never takes away from the seriousness of the story itself.

Did you also write the role specifically for Peter Dinklage?

I’ve been wanting to work with Peter for a long time. We almost did In Bruges together, strangely. He was going to be the dwarf fellow. I’d seen him years and years ago when he was still a stage actor in New York. I saw him in plays, way before Game of Thrones, even before The Station Agent, so I’ve known him for a while and always wanted to work with him. So I wrote this as a little-person part, and I was determined, or really hopeful, that he might get a break in the Game of Thrones schedule to do it. I think he’s lovely in it. He’s so good you almost want him to be in it more. He’s kind of sad and sweet. Maybe there will be a sequel, and it’ll just be him and his dates.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...nner-three-billboards-ebbing-missouri-1037532

Three Billboards.. won the Peoples Choice Award at the Tooronto Film Festival.

The prize is seen as the most reliable early indicator of Oscar success.

Two years ago, Lenny Abrahamson’s Room began its journey to a best picture nomination with a victory here.

In the last decade, only one People’s Choice winner has failed to secure a best picture nod from the Academy.

McDormand is also now a strong favourite for an Oscar nomination.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...oice-award-at-toronto-film-festival-1.3224333

Can't wait to see this ever since I saw the trailer months ago.

Yeah, this looks fantastic. Too bad it prolly take until late Jan-Februari for it to get over here.

Also reminded me that I actually have to watch Seven Psychopaths now, which I've missed out on.

Its arriving at my local indie theater in a few weeks. Pumped to see this.

Watched Seven Psychopaths in prep for Three Billboards. Seven Psychopaths had me a bit mixed - didn't feel as balls to the walls as some of the stuff I've seen from this film, nor as layered. But now that I'm familiar with McDonagh's work, I think I'll have more fun with it.

Can't wait to see this ever since I saw the trailer months ago.

:up:

Yeah, this looks fantastic. Too bad it prolly take until late Jan-Februari for it to get over here.

Also reminded me that I actually have to watch Seven Psychopaths now, which I've missed out on.

Yeah, looks like the USA is the only place getting this year (outside of some film festivals). Most of the rest of it's release dates seems to be January through February. It's the 12th of January in Ireland & the UK.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5027774/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf

Watched Seven Psychopaths in prep for Three Billboards. Seven Psychopaths had me a bit mixed - didn't feel as balls to the walls as some of the stuff I've seen from this film, nor as layered. But now that I'm familiar with McDonagh's work, I think I'll have more fun with it.

You've seen In Bruges though, right?

Seeing this tomorrow and I cannot wait.

My review...

It's a really well made dark comedy about dealing with grief or a tragedy. I like how the movie starts out pretty black and white with the issue and you're on Frances McDormand's side despite her going nuclear. Then the movie changes little by little and you find out it's not as black or white as you think it is. Also when the movie gets dark, it really gets dark. Just like with the directors previous films (In Bruges or Seven Psychopaths), the comedy and tragic drama works side by side like chocolate & peanut butter. Performance wise, Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, and Sam Rockwell were the standout stars. The entire cast was also terrific. Overall, it's great movie filled with great moments and it's one hopefully get some award recognition.
9/10

An almost perfect film. I have to take several days to decide whether I like the ending though.

The ending was a little curious, but the overall film was a knockout. McDonagh's three for three in my book. I've really loved everything he's done.

Easily one of my favorites of the year. Very dark and had a real Coen Brothers vibe to it. I could easily see McDormand and Sam Rockwell getting nominated and it was nice seeing how the characters changed and developed from when they were introduced versus where the film ended.

But...maybe it's just me, but did anyone else think Abbie Cornish just kind of stuck out? Like, what's this Australian lady doing in this tiny town in Missouri? It wasn't an issue and definitely not unrealistic, it was just...odd.

Yeah I thought the same thing about Abbie Cornish.

But...maybe it's just me, but did anyone else think Abbie Cornish just kind of stuck out? Like, what's this Australian lady doing in this tiny town in Missouri? It wasn't an issue and definitely not unrealistic, it was just...odd.

At first, it stuck out. But then again, I think it's MM's choice not to hang a lantern on that, and maybe for good reason. It's like he's saying, "yes, there's somebody in this town who isn't originally from here, but I don't feel I need to reference it in any way, because I think my audience doesn't need it."

My theater is opening this tomorrow and I'll definitely be seeing it this weekend. Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"