Martin McDonagh's Seven Psychopaths

I loved this movie SO MUCH. The Quaker story, the cemetery shootout scene, Psychopath No. 1 & No. 7, Hans' version of the Vietnamese guy & the Hooker story....it was all just so amazing.

Between this and In Bruges, Martin McDonagh's particular brand of comic tragedy is just...sublime to me. I need to see it again ASAP.

Definitely my favorite film of 2012 so far.

I liked it alot though it's a little uneven tonally. I prefer In Bruges.

But a solid B for me.

I was watching an interview McDonagh and he said that he wrote this film before he made In Bruges. He also said that he has the script for his next film is written but that he is taking a four year vacation as he did last time.

Interesting guy.

This was amazing...

I was expecting a fun action/crime film and got a analytical take on filming with that fun crime film.

First time I've liked Colin in a long time. Sam ruled, as did Woody. Loved the interweaving of stories and how the black woman was Tom Waits and Walken's crazy love partner/wife.

Recently just rewatched it. I think my favorite moment of the movie and probably my favorite movie moment of the whole year was Christopher Walken rewriting the Vietnamese priest story for Martin. Such a brilliant moment.

I also think Walken is completely underrated in this role. Rockwell, Woody, and Farrell tried so hard to steal the show that Walken's quiet depth was completely missed. His chemistry with the wife character was amazing.

Really liked this movie. Acting was great (I really think Rockwell was robbed for an Oscar nod), i liked how meta it got toward the halfway point and I dont even like when moves get that meta. The graveyard shooutout scene was brilliant.

Really good movie. Although I get if people dont like this. I think In Bruges is better tho

I loved "In Bruges."

Have you seen The Guard? If you haven't it's quite similar to In Bruges in so far as humor and tone go. Stars Brian Gleeson too, I highly recommend it.

Have you seen The Guard? If you haven't it's quite similar to In Bruges in so far as humor and tone go. Stars Brian Gleeson too, I highly recommend it.
:up:
Big fan of Gleeson and I love The Guard too.

This was amazing...

I was expecting a fun action/crime film and got a analytical take on filming with that fun crime film.

First time I've liked Colin in a long time. Sam ruled, as did Woody. Loved the interweaving of stories and how the black woman was Tom Waits and Walken's crazy love partner/wife.
Have you seen In Bruges? Same director, also stars Farrell, I highly recommend it. I loved this film, Waits' cameo being a highlight because I'm a huge fan, but In Bruges was a little better.

Seven Psychopaths is one of my favourite films from last year.

If you liked The Guard then keep your eyes open for "Cavalry" later this year. Same writer/director, John Michael McDonagh, and will again star Brendan Gleeson.

The McDonagh brothers are killing it so far.

I was watching an interview McDonagh and he said that he wrote this film before he made In Bruges. He also said that he has the script for his next film is written but that he is taking a four year vacation as he did last time.

Interesting guy.

I'm pretty sure he's just joking about the 4 year vacation.

"This went on for eleven f***ing years, 'til finally the killer went mad".

Initially I didn't like this as much as In Bruges, but over the years I've come to love it just as much.

I guess I was wrong thinking McDonagh was only joking about waiting 4 years, although nothing has been announced, I'm hoping he gets his next film into gear soon for a release next year. He described it as, IIRC, being slightly more serious, with a middle-aged female protagonist. And as redhawk pointed out above, McDonagh already had the script finished when doing press for Seven Psychopaths.

Both In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths are fantastic. Haven't seen The Guard yet unfortunately. But McDonough is a really interesting film maker.

Both In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths are fantastic. Haven't seen The Guard yet unfortunately. But McDonough is a really interesting film maker.

The Guard (& Calvary) were made by Martin's brother John Michael. Do check them out though :yay:

I really, really hate the Blu-Ray cover for this. It appeals to the Expendables crowd.

*looks up Blu Ray cover*

lol.
Going to watch it tonight, haven't seen it in ages.

Also, been doing a little digging, and at least as of last summer he was indeed looking to shoot his next film sometime this year:

"McDonagh is now working on a script for a film that he plans to direct next year. The film is set in contemporary Missouri and has a strong female lead, he said, much like his play “The Beauty Queen of Leenane,” and the two auntie characters in “Inishmaan.”"

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014...ishmaan-has-held-up-in-martin-mcdonaghs-eyes/

Also this, from the Seven Psychopaths press tour:

"It’s been four years since In Bruges, and Seven Psychopaths is about a screenwriter experiencing writer’s block. Did you did experience writer’s block yourself?

I don’t even subscribe to writer’s block being a truthful thing. I’ve had writer’s laziness quite often. But I think it’s all about sitting down and facing down the blank page and doing it, and I’ve always been ok at that. Sometimes it’s not fun.

The four-year interim was just not wanting to be on that conveyor belt of making film after film. I wanted to see a bit of the world, and think, and write some new stuff. I wrote a play and another film script between In Bruges and this. The play was on in New York with Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken, so that was almost like a rehearsal period for this film. So even though it looks like a four-year hiatus, it’s not really. Plays are artistic things too!"

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/bfi-news/seven-psychopaths-martin-mcdonagh-interview

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"