Marvel Comics Series Finals?

Artistsean

Monkey Boy
Reaction score
When TV shows go off the air, and have prior notice about it, they make a Series Final to their show. To wrap everything up and let the audience know how things end, sometimes even showing what happens in the future (since the audience wont see it).
But Comics never end. Superman debuted in 1938, Batman debuted in 1939, Spider-Man in 1962, and the X-Men in 1963. They will most likely go on forever. But some stories, like the X-Men for example have hinted at their main goal. The X-Men strive to get Mutants accepted as part of society and eliminate the fear and hatred of Mutants. But because this comic may never ever end, we may never see them reach that goal.

What if you could write a Comic's Series Final?
Who would you choose? And what would their last story be? How would you wrap everything up?
For example, The X-Men. How would their last story go? Would Mutants finally be accepted? Would the X-Men finally be seen as Heroes? Would Magneto finally start the war between Mutants and humans and set things in motion, or would he see the light and join the X-Men for good? Would the X-Men be a Government funded peace keeping force? Would all of the Earth eventually evolve into Mutants?

What about Spider-Man? How would his story wrap up? Would his final fight be with Doc Ock? Would he and MJ finally end up together and happy? Would he be celebrated as the hero he has always been?
What about his enemies?

Other "Last Story" comics are more what ifs. Showing Spider-Man retired with a leg injury and his Daughter taking over as the Spider-hero. Or showing the last epic battle of the aging super heroes in one last effort to stop evil. And they are usually sad, and depressing. While many last episodes of TV shows wrap things up in a positive way to let you know things will be fine without the audience. If this "Series Finale" was in completely continuity and was the end of the character's story, how would you end it?
Pick any character you want, and tell how their story ends.

I always thought Ock and Spidey's final fight in a burning building in TASM #12 would be a good way to go out for Spider-Man.
Octopus, you're a fool! We'll both be trapped in here!

This building is deserted! It's just you and me now! Only one of us will survive!

Are you so filled with hate that you're willing to die rather than stop our battle? I can escape through any window, but you'll be trapped by some falling sculpture!

You won't talk your way out of this! I'm finishing you off now!

But I admit Green Goblin is more suited for a final battle.

The X-Men
The mutant population is restored to the millions, and the United Nations turns to the X-Men to create an international organization in charge of policing mutants. They remain based in San Francisco, but they reopen their X-Corporation offices as new X-Men branches. The US government repeals its registration laws that they used on the 198, and go back to creating anti-discrimination laws to protect mutants' rights in the country.

The Exiles discover the source of a wave of energy that's warping multiple realities. They recruit the aid of Captain Britain, MI:13, and the typical mish-mash of X-Men from multiple universes to stop it. The result of the battle means the Exiles no longer have to hop between universes, but it also closes the paths between the multiverse, leaving all futures (definite and alternate) unsure.

Having learned this in the 616 universe, the X-Men decide to make a new future for themselves, set by their own terms rather than the terms of their many friends and members from alternate timelines.

Someone tries to assassinate Charles Xavier, but Magneto takes the hit instead. Magneto dies a hero, his final act being one that supports the path the X-Men are setting for the mutant race.

Charles reopens his school in Westchester, reopens the Mass. Academy, and opens new schools on Muir Island and Genosha. None of the schools are affiliated with Cyclops' X-Men, but are instead actual schools for young mutants.

Jean Grey comes back from the dead, bringing the X-Men's fallen allies back with her. She relinquishes the Phoenix Force forever, and goes on to help Charles run his schools.

The final scene is of Cyclops on Utopia. He remarks that he moved the X-Men to the island so they could get away from the human race, and how even when it was Asteroid M that was its purpose. Now its purpose is finished, and the X-Men have rejoined the world. Just for the hell of it, Cyclops turns off a light and walks out of the control room in the final panel.

That Magneto idea is great, but how exactly does he die? Can't he just move the bullet in another direction?

I didn't say it was a bullet. Just that someone tries to kill Charles, but Magneto gets in the way to save his life.

I didn't say it was a bullet. Just that someone tries to kill Charles, but Magneto gets in the way to save his life.
Well there are knives, but those are metal, too, but that's a pretty strange weapon for assassination; and I can't think of any assassin who didn't use a gun.

Energy beam, a spike of psychic energy, someone with super strength. The list of possible ways to kill a man in the Marvel Universe is pretty endless.

In the final episode of the animated 90s X-Men I think Charles is attacked by some mental attack weapon that attacks his mental abilities and nearly kills him.
So perhaps it is something like that. Or maybe it was wave after wave of attacks by the "Friends of Humanity" as their last ditch effort to end Mutant Rights efforts once and for all.
I love Magneto's wrap up, it is very nice and fitting.
Plus the Mutants finally getting accepted into society. Pretty cool.

Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman series was a pretty good idea of a send off for the character. It was also one of the rare books I've read from DC recently.

How many of those THE END one-shots did Marvel put out anyway?

3 one-shots (Hulk, Iron Man, Punisher)

6 minis (Fantastic Four, Marvel, Wolverine, 3 X-Men)

The only way I can see Spider-Man ending is him dying in the costume, and not against any of his usual enemies. Maybe he gets old, a little slower, and gets taken out by some anonymous criminal. Maybe a burglar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"