New Namor series swimming our way

they should take cues from the one John Byrne started where he was the CEO of Oracle INC

If it comforts you at all, that cover likely won't represent Namor's wardrobe in the book.

That art was actually drawn for use on the Marvel Universe Invaders 4-Pack box for Namor. Every once in a while you'll see these drawings pop up on a cover or piece of promotional art here or there, but they were all drawn for the toy line.

This one in particular was done a long while ago, so he may still be in his X-uniform or at least his standard black collar and pants getup.

whats his xmen costume look like

Like his standard black collar and pants getup, but with some blue instead of yellow. :)

looks kind of like Black Adam

Hello All: I believe there's every reason to be optimistic. Success should depend on how creative the storyline is (given above-average or better artwork). Namor has always been near the top of my favorite Marvel heroes, and I'm excited by this development! best regards, Madelow.

Moore Pits Namor Against Vampires of the Deep

2w3q2i0.jpg

CBR News: Stuart, how did "Namor: The First Mutant" come about?

Stuart Moore: I've been working with the X-Men editors lately on a variety of small projects: "Wolverine Noir," "Deadpool Team-Up" and "Cloak & Dagger." When this came up, I jumped at it. I've always loved the character, and lately I've been reading a lot of Robert E. Howard - Conan and Kull, especially. Namor fits right into that, especially the mythic, old-world nature of his forgotten, fallen kingdom.

Namor is one of Marvel's oldest characters, and as such has been depicted in a variety of ways: anti-hero, hero, business man, monarch and avenging son. Will Namor be playing any of these roles in this series, or are you looking to take the character in a completely new direction?

Initially, we'll be dealing with him as monarch and avenger (with a small "A"). As time goes on, we'll explore different facets to his character.

It seems like this first storyline is very much about his dual allegiance to both the Atlanteans and mutants. In your mind, why has Namor remained so loyal to the mutants of the Marvel Universe? Is it simply because he has an attraction to Emma Frost and he believes that this will get him closer to her? Is it a strategic alliance since Atlantis is now destroyed? Or does he genuinely feet part of the mutant cause?

Yes, yes, and yes. It's a mixture of all the reasons you've mentioned. One thing I don't want to do is nail down Namor's larger motivations too exactly. His greatest trait is his royal pride, which means sometimes even he doesn't know why he does certain things.

It sounds like the inaugural story in "Namor: The First Mutant" spins out of developments in the "Curse of the Mutants" storyline which is about the X-Men fending off a vampiric invasion of San Francisco and begins in July's "X-Men" #1. Do readers need to read that issue in order to understand and enjoy the first issue of "Namor: The First Mutant?"

You don't have to read "X-Men" #1 and 2, but if you do, you'll get a much bigger picture of the events surrounding our story. Without giving too much away: as we open, Namor is on a mission for the X-Men. That's the catalyst for our book, and the events of issue #1 play a vital part in "Curse of the Mutants." But they also set off a chain of events with immediate, very dire consequences for Namor and the Atlanteans.
Namor's relationship to the X-Men is our starting point, and that relationship will continue throughout the series. But at its heart, this is not an X-Men story, it's a Namor story.

In terms of plot and themes what is the opening story of "Namor" about?

I can't get too specific about plot without bringing down the "Curse of the Mutants" on both our heads. But it's about the consequences of pride; the curse of divided loyalties; and the price of stirring up secrets buried beneath the ocean floor.

Speaking of the ocean floor, where does this first story unfold? From the solicits, it sounds like this a tale that's set primarily beneath the waves.

Yes, that's right. We'll meet a new group of Atlanteans, very different from any we've seen before, and learn some secrets about the city's past. Namor will also have to make some hard decisions about his people's future. But events on the surface world have a big influence on those decisions, too.

In this initial arc of "Namor" you pit your protagonist against a group of Atlantean vampires. What can you tell us about these characters? Do they have all the powers and weaknesses of your traditional Marvel U vampires?

They're a different breed from surface vampires, with some special abilities that stem directly from their environment. They live very deep beneath the sea, in total darkness, in deep trenches and caves where blood-rich prey is scarce. As a result, they're very, very hungry.

Who are some of the other supporting players in "Namor: The First Mutant?"

Let's see - there will be at least one familiar Namor supporting character, and assorted X-Men will turn up as the series progresses. The new group of Atlanteans are crucial, and the vampires are pretty important themselves.

Ariel Olivetti is perhaps best known for his work depicting heroes with gigantic physiques, so what can readers expect from his art on "Namor?" Will we get scenes of super strong characters slugging it out, or is this a darker, more subtle work?

Ariel actually works in a wide variety of styles. Most people know him from his "Punisher War Journal" work, but he's very versatile. As the action moves deeper, to the lair of the vampires, he's working in a moodier style, using a lot more black, to suit the horror-story mode of those scenes. I think he's going to impress a lot of people.

How would you describe the tone of this series? It sounds like there's a hint of superhero action, but there's also a strong vibe of pulp horror and weirdness here since you're dealing with things like a lost world of Atlantean vampires?

Definitely a horror vibe. My big influences here are Lovecraft, Howard, that sort of thing, but with a modern horror-film sensibility. The danger with Namor is that everything will become too courtly, too formal and distant. I'm going for a very visceral storytelling style, all action and emotion, with a strong mythic, pulp feel to the background.

Any hints or teases as to where you're taking the title after this first arc?

We'll be exploring a balance of underwater and surface world stories. Namor has a foot in both worlds; his first obligation is to his people, and the threat of the vampires will bring that home in a way that continues after the first storyline ends. But he's also a mutant, which ties him to the X-Men. And his attraction to both Emma Frost and Sue Richards - two very different women - keeps pulling him back to dry land, too.
Namor is an amazing character to write. He's the kind of guy who sees a problem, sizes it up, and then acts. He'll dive right down the mouth of Hell and take on anyone or anything. He's also a very powerful presence-it takes an extremely strong will to stand up to him. But this radically new threat will test him in a lot of ways.

ADVANCE PREVIEW: "Namor: The First Mutant"

4j6y3a.jpg

2zeibyg.jpg

Marvel is proud to present your first look at Namor: The First Mutant #1, from fan favorite creators Stuart Moore and Ariel Olivetti! A stunning Curse Of The Mutants tie-in, this new ongoing series puts Namor on a path with his deadliest foes yet—Atlantean Vampires hell-bent on destroying his kingdom. With jaw-dropping variant covers from Marvel EIC and CCO Joe Quesada, this is one issue fans cannot miss! When vampires infest the depths of the dark ocean floor, the Sub-Mariner must make a life-altering decision…does he stand with Atlantis or the X-Men? Find out this August in Namor: The First Mutant #1!
NAMOR: THE FIRST MUTANT #1 (JUN100624)
NAMOR: THE FIRST MUTANT #1 QUESADA VARIANT (JUN100625)
NAMOR: THE FIRST MUTANT #1 QUESADA SKETCH VARIANT (MAR108138)
Written by STUART MOORE
Penciled by ARIEL OLIVETTI
Cover by JAE LEE
Variant Cover by JOE QUESADA
Sketch Variant Cover by JOE QUESADA
Rated T+ …$3.99
FOC – 08/05/10, On-Sale – 08/25/10

the aqueos, that's that name of my tv,lol

Olivetti's art is pure win. Cable's series went downhill when he left. I wish he was on an ongoing I read

Vampires are weird in comics to me. They're something that has to be a major component of the character's universe and maintain a constant presence, like with Blade or the Darkhold Redeemers, or else they can only show up for an arc or two very, very, rarely. Like the old incident with Dracula attacking the X-Men and turning Storm into a vamp--that was okay because everything went back to normal quickly. MI-13 dealing with a massive vampire assault on Earth that seemed to spring up from out of nowhere--that's okay because MI-13 deals with magic a lot, Blade was on the team, and it was only for an arc.

But the X-Men and Namor--characters who are in no way associated with vampires--randomly plunging into a long and sustained conflict with vampires for no apparent reason? It just doesn't compute for me, nor does it capture my interest.

Vampires don't integrate well with broader superhero fiction because when you try it just makes them a bunch of supervillains who all have the same extremely specific, not especially powerful for superhero fiction powerset.

Yeah, that's true. Probably why Blade fits in best with the street-level guys; vampires really aren't much higher than street-level, unless you get to the super-ancient ones like Dracula or Varnae.

Vampires: like Ninjas except for Eastern European pseudo-mystical horse**** instead of the Japanese kind.

This is a pretty good read, hopefully Olivetti is back with # 4

8yxn38.jpg

NAMOR: THE FIRST MUTANT #7
Written by STUART MOORE
Penciled by ARIEL OLIVETTI
Cover by PHIL NOTO
NAMOR GOES TO HELL, part 2 of 3!
Lost in an arid desert, Namor seeks an escape from the underworld -- while events spiral out of control in New Atlantis. Namor's only hope: one determined young X-Man -- and the man called DOCTOR DOOM!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"