Marvel Films vs DC Films

SpiderByte

Superhero
Reaction score
Ah, the constant struggle for superiority!

Let's see how it's gone so far.

DC hasn't had a lot of luck with their films. So far, DC films usually don't end up well, but the ones they get right are loved. Burton's Batman, Donner's Superman, Watchmen, Nolan's Batman. But WB, despite having absolutely no restrictions on what characters they can use, are having trouble. The only franchise they have is Batman, and Nolan is reluctant to have Batman and Superman in the same universe, so a Justice League movie is even further away than we thought. However, they are trying to get the League's characters introduced to the audience, but if they want to make a film, there is a very, very high chance they will need to reboot Batman. We should be seeing a JL movie, at this rate, by, say, about 2015.

But that's not to say that Marvel also hasn't had it's fair share of bad films. The X-Men franchise is famous for it's fall, and, among many fans, hitting the ground like an anvil with X-Men Origins: Wolverine (although I personally liked that film, but to each his own), the Fantastic Four with the infamous Cloud Galactus (although, if you watch it closely, you'll see that it is actually that Galactus is IN the cloud, not the cloud itself, since you see the shadow of his helmet pass over Saturn). Sony has Spidey, which went very well, but it fell with SM3, and the reboot has turned many, many fans off from Sony. Not to mention the 90's Cap film. Also, Ghost Rider and Dardevil also got the short end, but not as much as some of the other films.

But they have had success. The two Hulk films are often debated, some liking Ang Lee's, some liking Leterrier's, some liking both, and some liking neither. Iron Man and it's sequel have both helped Marvel Studios prove itself able to handle it's material on it's own. They have a game plan, and so far have executed it well. They have Thor in post-production and just starting up on Cap filming. They have a director, producer, and several actors, rumored and confirmed, lined up for The Avengers.

There are, however, some roadblocks. The origin of Caps shield may change a bit, since they cannot use Adamantium, since it belongs to Fox via Wolverine. Spider-Man, one of their heavy-hitters, as well as easily one of the most popular and well known superheroes of all time, among the GA and fans alike, belongs at Sony. If the reboot does badly, it is very possible Sony will abandon Spider-Man, thinking they have done as much with him as they can, and rights will revert back to Marvel. The same goes for Daredevil and Ghost Rider, although a Daredevil reboot is being thought about, and a GR sequel in production. Fox is holding on to the FF with a reboot, and X-Men with, after recent character reveals, is starting to appear to be a possible reboot, although a prequel is still possible.

So, the point of the discussion is: How do you think the companies have done so far with their movies?

The only viable option in this poll is "Both have done well in some of their films".

Can't say much before Summer of 2011, but I'm okay with both now.

Well, recently, DC basically failed with JH.

JH and the Losers are DC's Ghost Rider and Punisher Warzone. I'm going to see Green Lantern first before deciding whether DC movie work is weak.

I'm really praying for all the new X Men and Spidey films to flop flat on their glutes

I refuse to support those properties until they revert back to Marvel, and if the new reboot flops, as well as first class, then it's a VERY HIGH POSSIBILITY that that's exactly what's going to happen

but they need to flop .......I urge EVERYONE to either skip them or purchase tickets to something else if you absolutely can't help yourself from checking them out

I think this "war" will be settled by the numbers.

I personally have liked DC movies more. But some of the Marvel's are pretty good.

DC hasn't had a lot of luck with their films. So far, DC films usually don't end up well, but the ones they get right are loved. Burton's Batman, Donner's Superman, Watchmen, Nolan's Batman. But WB, despite having absolutely no restrictions on what characters they can use, are having trouble. The only franchise they have is Batman, and Nolan is reluctant to have Batman and Superman in the same universe, so a Justice League movie is even further away than we thought. However, they are trying to get the League's characters introduced to the audience, but if they want to make a film, there is a very, very high chance they will need to reboot Batman. We should be seeing a JL movie, at this rate, by, say, about 2015.

Which makes me love DC movies more.

I haven't seen a JLA or Avengers movie so far so I'm not sure how making them makes either DC or Marvel's movies better.

From the list you put there I wouldn't say that "DC hasn't had a lot of luck with their films." or that "So far, DC films usually don't end up well."

Iron Man and it's sequel have both helped Marvel Studios prove itself able to handle it's material on it's own.

To me Iron Man franchise proved that Marvel can screw things up before the third part.

Well for DC, I like watching Batman '89 and TDK. The rest I can take or leave. One thing's for sure, when they suck, they suck hard. Catwoman, B&R, Superman IV from what I've seen, oh my.

For Marvel, I love the Marvel Studios ones - IM, TIH, IM2, and have actually reignited my interest in these movies to a great degree. I also really like Spider-Man and X2. SM2 and X-Men 1 are also enjoyable. But boy does Marvel have a ****** track record, regardless. It also helps that I prefer Marvel by a large margin in general.

Anyway, I voted that both have had some good ones, because that's the long and short of it. One thing's for sure, all the crap that's come with these have definitely taught them how to do them the right way, so you kind of have to appreciate all the crap. Like how Feige said B&R was the most important superhero movie made.

Last edited:
I think Marvel and DC have done a superb job with their films! Although I haven't seen the likes of the Punisher movies and The Losers, both have done an excellent job. Although I believe Marvel is dominating overall. DC seems to have their best luck with Batman more than anything else, but I believe that will change.

Oh yeah and I wasn't even thinking of stuff like Jonah Hex, Watchmen, Kick-Ass, etc. But including those, I like Watchmen and Kick-Ass as well.

So far, DC's superhero films have been 60% batman, 35% superman and 5% random **** movies. Of those movies, 4 were great (Nolan Batmans, first two supermen movies), 3 were good (Burton batmans, superman returns) and the rest were awful.

So far marvel has 3 great films (first two spider-man, Ironman), 5 good ones (2 x-men, both hulks, IM2) and a bunch of ****.

Basically they're even. A slight edge to DC in terms of quality, but they've also been absolutely chicken **** about trying new characters; it's taken them 35 years to move beyond superman and batman. I ultimately give the decision to marvel for making a wider variety of films, even if they've been less successful.

If we're allowed to include animated movies, then DC is well in the lead.

Sorry, I'm still in awe from the greatness of Under the Red Hood :yay:

Anyway you slice it, your answer might be completely different in few years...in the years 2011-2013 we have movies announced for nearly every major character in both companies. It'll be interesting to see where we are in 3 years.

2011 is going to be a huge year. One of the biggest yet.

And in 2012...all sides bring out their big guns. DC's got their most successful character up, and Marvels got Avengers and Spidey.

It is going to be the epicness.

I'll start by confessing I'm more of a Marvel fan to start. So, seeing characters I know at a deeper level on screen is automatically an advantage. I grew up reading DC and still dive in over there every once in a while, however.

Having said that, Marvel is clearly stronger having produced far better all around films. Take Nolan's Batwork out of the mix and NO DC film ever can crack Marvel's top five. There's a legitimate argument that even TDK can't crack Marvel's top three but let's not go there.

Sure, Marvel has to own up to crap like Ghost Rider and Elektra but even the woefully inadequate FF movies have their guilty pleasure moments. That's the territory where I place the Superman films.

BOTH Iron Mans, The Incredible Hulk, the Spider-Man and X-Men trilogies are wonderful films. Some greater than others but all landing on the plus side of good.

Even sometimes bashed films like the Daredevil director's cut and The Punisher 04 deliver higher than most anything DC.

In the good-great department, Marvel has :

Spider-Man trilogy
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
X-men quadrilogy [although X3 / Wolverine could have been better]
Daredevil : DC
Hulk 03'
The Incredible Hulk
Kick-ass [although it's not in the actual universe, It's comic was distributed by marvel, so that's why I count it]

DC has :
Batman89
Batman returns
Batman forever [semi-great, more like decent]
Batman Begins
The Dark knight
batman :MOTP.

I don't count animated flicks, cause I haven't seen barely any of them.

I was always a Marvel comic reader growing up, so I always anticipate seeing one on screen...but if you stack em up, DC's best beat Marvel's best any day.
Superman, Batman, Batman Begins, Dark Knight are all pretty much classics of the genre. You can even throw in V for Vendetta and Watchmen, and that group still beats just about anything Marvel has done.
Spider-man 2, X2 and maybe Iron Man are the only things that even come close to
that group.

The thing I think that makes this kind of an unbalanced poll is that Marvel, within recent times, have had more movies made than DC. DC needs to put out some more films with more of their characters then it will be more fairly balanced and a better vote can be made.

The thing I think that makes this kind of an unbalanced poll is that Marvel, within recent times, have had more movies made than DC. DC needs to put out some more films with more of their characters then it will be more fairly balanced and a better vote can be made.
Well, not really. DC has been making movies for a lot longer than Marvel. Look at all of the Superman, Batman movies plus Supergirl, Steel, 2 Swampthing movies and I'm sure there is more. Marvel really got started 13 years ago and caught up.

It's not really Marvel, it's all those movie studios like Fox, Columbia, and Lionsgate who have made most of the Marvel character movies. The only characters Marvel has control over in the movies are Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, and various characters associated with the Avengers.

It's not really Marvel, it's all those movie studios like Fox, Columbia, and Lionsgate who have made most of the Marvel character movies. The only characters Marvel has control over in the movies are Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, and various characters associated with the Avengers.

In fairness Marvel did license those properties out, so they are all Marvel movies.

In fairness Marvel did license those properties out, so they are all Marvel movies.

They didn't want to, but they were forced to because they were facing bankrupcy.

***Edit*** Never mind I thought you were talking about the Ludngren Punisher, that horrible Captain America movie and the Corman Fantastic Four.

in my dvd/blu collect the majority of my live action comic movies are marvel and the majority of my animated comic movies are dc.

the only dc comic movies I like are
superman the movie
superman 2
batman begins
TDK

and that's it

for marvel
blade
blade 2
spider-man
spider-man 2
x-men 2
IM
IM2 - although not released on blu ray yet

I finally got around to watching The Losers...and I thought it was a fun, harmless movie that never bored me. I had more fun watching it than I did Iron Man 2...

But you know...The Losers doesnt count as a comic book movie for some reason, so fans disnt support it (admittedly, neither did I...I did not watch it in theaters).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"