• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Marvel Prepping Four Series and a Miniseries

I think it'd be a better idea if they kept Kevin Smith far far far away from this

Okay what I'm about to say is a little crazy but hear me out. I know a lot of us comic book fans don't really like change of race with our characters. But recently there's been an increase in films and shows targetting the Latin Community. So I had this crazy idea what if Marvel made The Punisher as Latino for their tv or cinematic universe. His name could be Fransico Castillo but he was born her in America and later changed it to Frank Castle. Please let me know what you think and would you accept it.

I don't know. That one could really reek of diversity for the sake of proving a point. It's not like Frank has no ethnic background in the comics, either. He's of Sicilian ancestry (His birth name is actually vaguely similar to what you suggested, Francis Castiglione). I'd rather they just bring in the diverse cast of characters that already exists in the street-level stuff. Colleen Wing is awesome, and Misty Knight, Shang Chi, Echo, and White Tiger (Latina, btw) are all terrific possibilities in these Netflix programs.

Okay what I'm about to say is a little crazy but hear me out. I know a lot of us comic book fans don't really like change of race with our characters. But recently there's been an increase in films and shows targetting the Latin Community. So I had this crazy idea what if Marvel made The Punisher as Latino for their tv or cinematic universe. His name could be Fransico Castillo but he was born her in America and later changed it to Frank Castle. Please let me know what you think and would you accept it.

As somebody upset when Blue Beetle got canceled and wants to see Rictor appear in an X-Factor film if/when Fox decides to make it... no. Use a Latino character who already exists or make a new one. Ronin is going to appear in the Daredevil series anyway and she's cool enough to possibly get her own one-shot down the line.

I'm all for changing nationalities, but for me, changing their names is where I draw the line, it adds something different to his story that doesn't really vibe with the pure simple brutality of Punisher. Punisher, being what he is, is not a particularly good character to change the race of, imho.

Of the four lead characters, I'd be quickest to change Jessica Jones' race, then Daredevil's. Of the heroes likely on the table, I think Moon Knight would be the best candidate for being a hispanic character. Changing his name is very much in his wheelhouse, and doesn't at all dilute his story.

Regardless of if they do any race changes or not, they should definitely cast hispanic actors, like they did for the white character Jasper Sitwell and they should definitely do so for hispanic characters like Echo/Ronin aka Maya Lopez and it'd be great to see White Tiger (both Hector and Aya) and the young Power Man, Victor Alvarez

I obviously support Latino focus..But I rather them being existing or new characters than changing someone else's race

Melissa Rosenberg has been working on a Jessica Jones series for a long time, so she clearly knows the character.

Rosenberg was head writer for seasons 1-3 of Dexter AND executive producer for season four before she left.

I think she can handle Jessica Jones. lol

Rosenberg already has a clear idea of what she wants to do, since she was going to do the show a few years ago. Jessica Jones just might be the next one after Daredevil.

Excellent that they're snatching Goddard for Daredevil. Rosenberg however I'm a bit skeptic, despite having Dexter on her CV I've heard unpleasant things about Red Widow, and there she's a writer and the showrunner but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.

I'd be cool with that, and Frank having a much more ethic name that as anglicized to Frank Castle has it's precedent (his real name in the comics right now is Francis Castiglione), but is it really wise to have what would be Marvel's premier Latino superhero be a violent gun toting serial killer?

I agree, but they're probably not going to pull from Immortal Iron First anyway.

Why wouldn't they draw from Immortal Iron Fist? That's basically the only time the character has been awesome in his own story.

I don't know. That one could really reek of diversity for the sake of proving a point.

So? Why does that matter?

I hope Iron Fist keeps the yellow mask and green costume. I would even like to see him with the high yellow collars. He doesn't have to have that all the time, but it should be there part of the time. I certainly don't want him costumeless.

So? Why does that matter?

Publicity stunts in your casting rarely work out. It's one thing if the actor is legitimately better than anyone else who auditioned (that's not a publicity stunt), but it's a dangerous road. As was already mentioned, do we really need to make the serial killer Latino? Why not use one of the multiple characters that already exist in the comics (many of which are WAY more positive characters than Frank Castle)?

Publicity stunts in your casting rarely work out. It's one thing if the actor is legitimately better than anyone else who auditioned (that's not a publicity stunt), but it's a dangerous road. As was already mentioned, do we really need to make the serial killer Latino? Why not use one of the multiple characters that already exist in the comics (many of which are WAY more positive characters than Frank Castle)?

Well, I do think the Punisher is the wrong choice because of the violence and gangland association, but I don't see what's wrong with taking an established Marvel hero and making him or her a Latino/Latina. I don't see how that's a "dangerous road." You just find a hispanic actor who fits the part and then just write the character as normal. Throw in some references to their culture and background when appropriate. Done.

Well, I do think the Punisher is the wrong choice because of the violence and gangland association, but I don't see what's wrong with taking an established Marvel hero and making him or her a Latino/Latina. I don't see how that's a "dangerous road." You just find a hispanic actor who fits the part and then just write the character as normal. Throw in some references to their culture and background when appropriate. Done.

When I said "dangerous road" it was situational. For example, the serial killer with the skull on his chest. :yay:

13 episodes of each = 6 movies.

Last edited:

Eh, it would probably feel like pandering. Wouldn't mind I guess.

Actually, it's closer to 17 movies worth of runtime.

I was referring to like 6 movies of each character, not together.

Each episode is close to an hour. I know most movies are not two hours exactly, but I rounded up in both cases.

I wish Marvel owned Zorro,They've released Zorro comics but I don't think they own any of the property anymore

Drew Goddard Joins Daredevil on Netflix

Marvel.com brought you the first news of the historic team-up between Marvel Television and Netflix, and now we’re proud to officially announce that award-winning writer/director Drew Goddard ("Buffy The Vampire Slayer," "Lost," "Cloverfield," "Cabin in the Woods," "World War Z") will join Marvel’s "Daredevil"! Goddard will write and direct the "Daredevil" first episode, setting the tone and look for the show, while also serving as series Showrunner and Executive Producer for the 13-episode series premiering on Netflix in 2015.
http://marvel.com/news/story/21604/drew_goddard_joins_daredevil_on_netflix

See, knew it made sense for him to direct it too, even if it is only the first ep. Still, he's the showrunner.

Great news. I was hoping for a bigger news bomb from Marvel, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"