Marvel Shake-Up: Film Chief Kevin Feige Breaks Free of CEO Ike Perlmutter

TalismanRing

Cyclone Cookie Tosser
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/marvel-shake-up-film-chief-819205

Marvel Shake-Up: Film Chief Kevin Feige Breaks Free of CEO Ike Perlmutter

by Kim Masters , Matthew Belloni
8/31/2015 6:16pm PDT

After Feige's "years of frustration," the studio's movie group will now report to Disney's Alan Horn.

After what one source describes as "several years of frustration," Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has pulled off a reorganization of the vaunted film company that has him reporting to Disney studio chief Alan Horn as opposed to the infamously micromanaging Marvel Entertainment CEO Isaac "Ike" Perlmutter.

Feige, the architect of Marvel's transition from a flailing comic book company into a film powerhouse that was sold to Disney for $4 billion in 2009, is said to have vented his unhappiness to Horn and Disney CEO Bob Iger earlier this summer. The reorganization was put into effect last week, according to sources.

"Marvel Studios is taking the next logical step in its integration with The Walt Disney Studios, joining Pixar and Lucasfilm in centralizing many of its film-related functions in Burbank, with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige and co-president Louis D’Esposito continuing to lead the Marvel Studios team reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn," a Disney spokesperson tells THR in a statement.

The revamp is a blow to New York-based Perlmutter, a low-profile billionaire who has contributed to Marvel's reputation in Hollywood for frugality and secrecy (as THR reported in a 2014 feature, he attended the premiere of Iron Man in a disguise to go undetected and once complained that journalists at a press junket were allowed two sodas instead of one). Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel Television, continues to report to Perlmutter, who will maintain oversight of Marvel's TV group, publishing, animation and other New York-based operations.

Perlmutter, 72, is said to have accepted Feige's insistence on the film group breaking free. But the move illustrates the power that Feige has amassed within the Disney empire, having overseen a slate of films since 2009 that has grossed more than $7 billion while rival Warner Bros. has struggled to turn its DC superheroes into a comparable cinematic universe. Disney has plotted out Marvel films until at least 2019.

The shift also evidences the tricky executive politics that Iger must manage as a result of assembling several freestanding feifdoms under the Disney banner over the past decade. Pixar Animation Studios, Lucasfilm and Marvel have been key acquisitions that brought with them valuable intellectual property assets and creative expertise. But each silo is overseen by powerful executives such as animation gurus John Lasseter and Ed Catmull, producer Kathleen Kennedy and Perlmutter and Feige, respectively, all of whom have tremendous influence within their corner of the Disney empire.

Feige, 42, has been considered the key man at Marvel, producing everything from the original Iron Man through this summer's Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man. One insider says Feige has earned the opportunity to break free from Perlmutter, who is not only controlling, but also obsessed with thrift.

"Everybody knows Ike is difficult," says one source close to the company. "This has been a long time coming. Kevin has grown his entire career under Ike and now it just makes sense."

rick-ross-head-nod-o.gif

Long Live Fiege.

I'm sure that the guy who demanded Downey be cut out of Civil War is a pain to work under. Great to hear that Fiege has that much pull.

There will be a lot of badmouthing Perlmutter from now on out but keep in mind that's 12 straight #1 hits on his watch regardless of how many rampages he went on or how much of a tightass he is. Whether his methods actually helped or he was just holding efforts back remains to be seen.

Personally I think this will be a positive change, although I pity the poor TV and publishing slobs who are now stuck working for a screaming, poster-shredding lunatic.

Disney has owned Marvel since 2009 and it wasn't until last year when Ike allowed them to be moved onto to the Disney lot and get new offices (but not a new couch) because he didn't want them "pampered".

Ike wouldn't even allow Disney to campaign for the Oscars for Marvel even though they were wiling to pay for it outside of Marvel's budget.

It had to rub Feige raw that that heads of Pixar and Lucas Films got to run their own film divisions and report directly to Horn while he was still under Ike's potato chip premiere throwing, paperclip pinching, soda rationing thumb.

This is great news for anyone worried that Feige might leave when his contract was up. He sill might but it lessens the chance greatly.

This is probably the best news for The Fantastic Four.

Now Fox and Marvel Studios can actually begin to talk again without Ike getting in the way.

Even if that means a deal similar to Sony's.

This is probably the best news for The Fantastic Four.

Now Fox and Marvel Studios can actually begin to talk again without Ike getting in the way.

Even if that means a deal similar to Sony's.

I really doubt there would be any kind of deal like Sonys. It doesn't make any logistical sense for Marvel especially with how tainted and devalued the property has become under Fox and that Fox has the X-Men who they want to tie into FF4 (well before the fiasco). And unlike Spider-man, Marvel can't even if they want make another FF4 for probably a decade. There's also bad blood between Fox and Disney that goes well past Ike. But it does make it easier to trade licenses and properties between the studios and maybe make a deal.

Very interesting news. It's great that Feige is getting more power and there's plenty of things suggesting that it's better to be reporting to Horn.

I really doubt there would be any kind of deal like Sonys. It doesn't make any logistical sense for Marvel especially with how tainted and devalued the property has become under Fox and that Fox has the X-Men who they want to tie into FF4 (well before the fiasco). And unlike Spider-man, Marvel can't even if they want make another FF4 for probably a decade. There's also bad blood between Fox and Disney that goes well past Ike. But it does make it easier to trade licenses and properties between the studios and maybe make a deal.

I'm not sure if there is anything Marvel has in terms of properties that Fox will need for their X-Men property, and since Ike is still over the television division, the television deal is probably 50/50 at this point.

I agree that a Fantastic Four film will need to be put in the shelf for a long time, but Marvel can really use their cosmic characters.

I suggested this before in the Fantastic Four thread, but I believe that the best option if Fox intends to hold onto the Fantastic Four rights is for Fox and Marvel Studios to co-produce a Silver Surfer films BEFORE Infinity War in order to introduce the character and Galactus.

Fox will pay for the production (like Sony is doing for Spider-Man), but Marvel will have creative control. Then later on introduce a new Fantastic Four team in a future film working the way up to another solo film.

The junkets can now hand out two sodas instead of one and maybe something other than Subway catering!

Even though Ike still runs the TV division Horn is still the head of Disney and above him. Fox can't make that X-Men TV show they keep going on about making without Marvel's permission. Granting them that license (which would have to have a term limit unlike the movie deal) that is potentially worth a lot of money, frankly more money than the entire FF4 rights are currently worth.

Marvel has no incentive to work with Fox and help them extend FF4 rights. They've screwed it up so badly those rights are going to revert sooner or later and they can get them without being tied to the X-Men universe. I think tying themselves to any potential Sony universe is risky enough.

If Sony goes ahead with their other Spider-man properties who's to say they'll be good, and if they're mediocre or bad they're going to be associated with the MCU because they share Spider-man. It's worth the risk to Disney primarily because of $1b in merchandise he still sells and Marvel wants to make sure he stays thriving.

The FF4 hold no similar benefit and with Fox making more non Singer X-Men movies, like Gambit the risks are higher than the reward.

Last edited:
Marvel has no incentive to work with Fox and help them extend FF4 rights. They've screwed it up so badly those rights are going to revert sooner or later and they can get them without being tied to the X-Men universe. I think tying themselves to any potential Sony universe is risky enough.

See I am in the camp that I don't think that Fox will let the rights revert. Seven years is a long time, and the right script and big time director (that they trust) can come along for them to green light another Fantastic Four OR Silver Surfer film that will extend the rights again. Ensuring that Marvel can not use characters that will enhance storylines.

I honestly think the Sony deal is brilliant. Marvel has creative control but Sony is footing the bill. As long as money is flowing in, all camps are happy. I think something like that could be worked out with Fox.

And the X-Men SHOULD remain a separate universe. Their universe is large enough to survive and thrive on its own in the capable hands of Singer/Donner.

Sounds like a positive change for the films, but I wonder if this will even further distance the television and film devisions.

I don't believe the Silver Surfer extends the FF4 rights, they have to make a movie starring the FF4 to do that. Fox is going to lose $60-90m on this latest FF4. It took them 8 years to make another after the last one basically broke even. How likely is it Fox's board or shareholders are going to be OK with another big budget + marketing expense to make yet another FF4 movie in order to hold onto the rights?

I'm not sure if there is anything Marvel has in terms of properties that Fox will need for their X-Men property, and since Ike is still over the television division, the television deal is probably 50/50 at this point.

I agree that a Fantastic Four film will need to be put in the shelf for a long time, but Marvel can really use their cosmic characters.

I suggested this before in the Fantastic Four thread, but I believe that the best option if Fox intends to hold onto the Fantastic Four rights is for Fox and Marvel Studios to co-produce a Silver Surfer films BEFORE Infinity War in order to introduce the character and Galactus.

Fox will pay for the production (like Sony is doing for Spider-Man), but Marvel will have creative control. Then later on introduce a new Fantastic Four team in a future film working the way up to another solo film.

I don't see Marvel bailing FOX out of the hole they dug for themselves with FFINO. A Silver Surfer solo feature is far from a sure thing - why on earth would Marvel put time in effort into that character instead of one under their control? I love the Surfer, but he ain't Spidey. If FOX insists on clinging to the FF rights, Marvel's best option is to wait them out.

Well Marvel does like to sell the whole "its all connected" tagline. I would hope even if Feige doesn't have to report to Perlumutter anymore, his relationship with Jeph Loeb is intact.

See I am in the camp that I don't think that Fox will let the rights revert. Seven years is a long time, and the right script and big time director (that they trust) can come along for them to green light another Fantastic Four OR Silver Surfer film that will extend the rights again. Ensuring that Marvel can not use characters that will enhance storylines.

I honestly think the Sony deal is brilliant. Marvel has creative control but Sony is footing the bill. As long as money is flowing in, all camps are happy. I think something like that could be worked out with Fox.

And the X-Men SHOULD remain a separate universe. Their universe is large enough to survive and thrive on its own in the capable hands of Singer/Donner.

Here's the thing, FF is easily the most toxic and worthless Superhero brand atm. The recent film bombed so bad, and you expect Fox, who was extremely frugal with management with the film to pay a respected director, and notable cast enough for another reboot with a likely bigger budget after this? That is not a financially viable proposition

Also, Marvel won't settle with making a deal. FF is no Spiderman, and as is, Marvel's slate is filled. Unless they give Fox an extension, which I doubt. They'd probably be better off waiting.

The Sony deal works because it involves the most popular superhero in the world, a character who's worst outing at the BO was twice as successful as FOX's best performing FF film. Spidey generates over $1 billion annually in merchandising, more than Barptman and Superman combined. He has had multiple popular animated progrsms and video games. Spider-man is Marvel's flagship character.

It is completely nonsensical to plug any other character - in this case, the Surfer - and assume that the deal makes any sense for Marvel. How exactly does Marvel make money on a FOX financed Surfer film? He's not going to move merchandise or juice the BO by any significant amount for a Guardians or Captain Marvel film.

In your proposed scenario FOX gets to profit from an MCU Surfer film while Marvel gets what exactly? Shared usage of a character that will be reverting in 7 years if they do nothing? It makes absolutely no sense.

Here's the thing, FF is easily the most toxic and worthless Superhero brand atm. The recent film bombed so bad, and you expect Fox, who was extremely frugal with management with the film to pay a respected director, and notable cast enough for another reboot with a likely bigger budget after this? That is not a financially viable proposition

Also, Marvel won't settle with making a deal. FF is no Spiderman, and as is, Marvel's slate is filled. Unless they give Fox an extension, which I doubt. They'd probably be better off waiting.

Yes, because it is a potential franchise which all studios value. Fox doesn't like losing franchises (Star Wars), especially to Disney. And they'll continue to produce films (Aliens, Predator, Apes) till they get it right.

Yes, this version failed and they'll lose 60-90 million because of it, but losing that is much better than seeing Marvel turn it into a billion dollar franchise.

It's between, taking another shot of it (with a good script and director) or letting it revert back to Marvel and having them make BANK from it.

None of those franchises lost that kind of money, nor were they compelled via timetable to keep making them to keep the rights. In the end Fox is accountable to shareholders. They had EIGHT YEARS to make a good script and find a good director and they whiffed expensively. Why would their shareholders have confidence they could manage a fourth time what they haven't the first three times? Why would they believe there's still an audience out there willing to give them another chance to make it a reasonable choice to spend another $200m+ to take another stab at it?

Yes, because it is a potential franchise which all studios value. Fox doesn't like losing franchises (Star Wars), especially to Disney. And they'll continue to produce films (Aliens, Predator, Apes) till they get it right.

Yes, this version failed and they'll lose 60-90 million because of it, but losing that is much better than seeing Marvel turn it into a billion dollar franchise.

It's between, taking another shot of it (with a good script and director) or letting it revert back to Marvel and having them make BANK from it.

There's nothing to bank. 7 years is a relatively short time for franchise that is essentially radioactive, and I am not crazy in saying Suphero fatigue will have likely set in, given that will be after the onslaught of releases, thus lessening more demand for another FF, no less from Fox. People will still have this failed attempt fresh in their minds. Fox has basically made the property unviable for decades atleast under their wing, and they don't have that much time. You speak as if they can sit on this indefinitely, which they can't. They have to make another film within the alotted time granted, and the stench of this reboot will still be looming on them. And now here you are suggesting they get top talent? Nobody of note is going to want to touch this within a ten-foot pole.

Last edited:

Why would Fox do this? They're not the type of company that would be willing to take a huge risk, finding expensive directors and handing out big budgets for a property they don't have faith in. Especially since nearly 10% of said property's gross is going directly to the company they're trying to keep it from reverting back to.

The Sony deal works because it involves the most popular superhero in the world, a character who's worst outing at the BO was twice as successful as FOX's best performing FF film. Spidey generates over $1 billion annually in merchandising, more than Barptman and Superman combined. He has had multiple popular animated progrsms and video games. Spider-man is Marvel's flagship character.

It is completely nonsensical to plug any other character - in this case, the Surfer - and assume that the deal makes any sense for Marvel. How exactly does Marvel make money on a FOX financed Surfer film? He's not going to move merchandise or juice the BO by any significant amount for a Guardians or Captain Marvel film.

In your proposed scenario FOX gets to profit from an MCU Surfer film while Marvel gets what exactly? Shared usage of a character that will be reverting in 7 years if they do nothing? It makes absolutely no sense.

Well we don't know for sure if Surfer will move merchandise or not. If the movie is successful, he might will. And a deal involves Marvel gaining the merchandise rights of Fantastic Four and supporting characters, how is that bad for Marvel?

The prediction is that Fox is just going to let the rights revert. I do not see that happening. They've already lost properties to Disney, two which Disney are reaping profits from and left a holes in Fox's franchise line up.

What makes you think they'll do the same with Fantastic Four?

In this case, the status quo will continue and we'll see ANOTHER produced Fantastic Four film in six-seven years because they don't want to let it go.

It's going to take a minimum budget of $175 million to put the FF on screen in a reasonably competent fashion, and it may run a bit higher in order to attract talent to a toxic brand. Assuming a $50M marketing budget, FOX gets 50% of the BO total and Marvel gets 5% of that, the break even for the re-reboot is around $475M.

Let's say your in charge of budgeting for FOX. How comfortable would you be green lighting a re-reboot of a toxic franchise that will have to do three times as well as the previous version to not lose money? And if you only manage to match the high water mark for the franchise you are out another $70M.

Do the math. It's really not that difficult.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"