Kevin Feige Adds Marvel Chief Creative Officer Title; He’ll Oversee All Creative & Story Initiatives

That I think was the first early indications of things to come concerning Marvel TV and what I was trying to get at concerning perhaps some upper level stalling being done from Disney owning ABC yet not pushing so hard anymore concerning anything Marvel related on TV.

I think the fact that Feige was clearly bogarting certain characters to keep them away from the TV division also was rather telling. Loeb and his team got a major coup when they were allowed to use the big name street-level heroes like Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and the Punisher, but it sounds like overall the TV side of things always had to deal with a lot of restrictions about who they could use beyond that. The Agents of SHIELD writers had mentioned in the past that they were repeatedly told many of the bigger name or even B and C-list Marvel characters were already earmarked and thus could not be used, and I'm guessing Feige likely made sure Ms. Marvel, the most popular Inhuman, was not associated with the trainwreck that was the Inhumans TV series.

Last edited:
That is how I feel about all of the TV headliners. At best they might be used as much as War Machine but most of them might see one fight and done like Batroc.
I thought Daredevil had room for more stories. Luke Cage and Iron Fist ended on cliffhangers so it's hard to say their stories are done.

The stories were over from a creative standpoint I beleive. Marvel TV should have stopped dragging things out and fixed their pacing issues after DD S1. Their storytelling was a bit elongated and basic taking forever to showcase any expositional elements.
I think the fact that Feige was clearly bogarting certain characters to keep them away from the TV division also was rather telling. Loeb and his team got a major coup when they were allowed to use the big name street-level heroes like Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and the Punisher, but it sounds like overall the TV side of things always had to deal with a lot of restrictions about who they could use beyond that. The Agents of SHIELD writers had mentioned in the past that they were repeatedly told many of the bigger name or even B and C-list Marvel characters were already earmarked and thus could not be used, and I'm guessing Feige likely made sure Ms. Marvel, the most popular Inhuman, was not associated with the trainwreck that was the Inhumans TV series.

Yeah, that was there from the get go I beleive. Although some characters did appear in AOS from time to time early on..

Joss actually seemed to influence Season 1 of AOS going into production to an extent I beleive. That was why I found his comments around the theatrical release of Age of Ultron concerning AOS to be a change of course indicator as well even though Disney was still firmly behind AOS not getting cancelled by ABC after season 3.

The earmarking may have upticked around 2015 when the rift was established between Marvel Studios and TV. Still as far as earmarking goes, I think many saw this as Marvel Studios simply designating which characters were planned for the big screen and certain characters not showing up more to do with budget.

As far as direct connective fibers went, Marvel Studios was presumably leaving these open for interpretation by the fans without encumbering the movie audience. Also, narrative timing issues from the movie side was probably a real reason at least for a while too.

The earmarking I think was just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:
After the excellent Winter Soldier crossover the previous year, I convinced myself that the the tie-in between AOS and AOU was going to be even more immersive. Especially since Whedon family members were overseeing both productions.

I was envisioning a dual assault on the Hydra compound, with the Agents and Avengers sharing pleasantries on the big screen. The fact that Joss didn't even put Patton Oswalt on the Helicarrier was almost as disappointing as Unscary Ultron and Natasha & Bruce's puppy love.

Last edited:
I never thought we were going to get anything like that.

The entire season subplot of Coulson and the Koing brothers recommisioning the carrier was weak. However the final flight of the Bus followed by "we found it, call in the Avengers" with the Age of Ultron opening that Friday was a moment that we will never see again

I recently rewatched the first two seasons of Agents of SHIELD and I would argue the connectivity holds up decently well. My memory is, after this, things began to seem a bit more forced (as if the TV side was playing catch up or guessing), but the connectivity that existed then made the movies and TV shows a richer experience.

I recently rewatched the first two seasons of Agents of SHIELD and I would argue the connectivity holds up decently well. My memory is, after this, things began to seem a bit more forced (as if the TV side was playing catch up or guessing), but the connectivity that existed then made the movies and TV shows a richer experience.

I remember the IM3 (Centipede!) and The Dark World (Beserker Staff!) connections being underwhelming. But the Winter Soldier stuff was great, and Sif, Hill and Fury all had memorable appearances before it all went to crap with AOU. I'm looking forward to the Disney Plus shows, but it's likely going to be impossible to create the same "real time" energy with a streaming show.

Yeah, it won't have the same "next day" feel as TWS but I feel it will still have the same iterative connectivity as the movies do.

I'm really hoping the Netflix side of things remains intact and they can find a way in the MCU fold. Even if it's a soft reboot. Recasting and rebooting the entire Netflix side would just seem off to me. I think at this point if they recast DareDevil, they'll get backlash like they wouldn't believe. Charlie Cox is amazing.

I never thought we were going to get anything like that.

I had some lingering hope it might, but all that went away when the Russos were talking Civil War and flat out had no idea about any of the Inhuman stuff going on in the show. That was where it was clear to me nobody behind the scenes was actually coordinating these, despite Jeph Loeb's platitudes to the contrary.

I actually want to see Elektra again. Most of the characters from the Netflix shows I want to see again. It's also naive to believe bigger budget = better quality. That's just not true look at Game of Thrones season 8 lol.

I actually want to see Elektra again. Most of the characters from the Netflix shows I want to see again. It's also naive to believe bigger budget = better quality. That's just not true look at Game of Thrones season 8 lol.

I'd love to see DD and JJ brought into MCU proper. JJ reminds me of someone I used to date. Not to be trifled with and kind of scary....fun, but scary. I remember one time before I started seeing her, I was walking down the mall in Santa Cruz. She walked up to me and said "I need a date", grabbed me by the arm and led me to some bar. It can't be said I was an unwilling customer and we decided we could tolerate each other. The beginnings of a beautiful romance. LOL.

Heads Up: The Hollywood Reporter will have an hour long conversation with Kevin Feige on Monday.

This will be Kevin Feige’s first lengthy interview since becoming Creative Officer of Marvel, and I expect/hope he’ll drop a few nuggets of information as to what he’ll be doing in his new role and how’ll handle the comics division, and the television division.

I'm really hoping the Netflix side of things remains intact and they can find a way in the MCU fold. Even if it's a soft reboot. Recasting and rebooting the entire Netflix side would just seem off to me. I think at this point if they recast DareDevil, they'll get backlash like they wouldn't believe. Charlie Cox is amazing.
I love Cox and there are about 5 others from the Netflix universe I would really want them to hang onto. But if Ledger Joker can be recast and get a good reception then anyone can.

Marvel Television as we’ve known it the past decade will be no more.

While the four announced animated series at Hulu, the upcoming Helstrom and last season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will still be made, the unit is shutting down everything else to join Marvel Studios.

“The decision has been made to complete Marvel TV projects that are currently in production, but not continue with any further development,” noted the TV division Tuesday. Layoffs are expected with the change in status for the once burgeoning small screen team, but not definite positions have been identified at present for the chop.

Marvel TV To Shut Down, Current Series Folded Into Marvel Studios

The end of an era, but at the same time the beginning of another.

RIP Helstrom. No one has even seen the show and it’s already looks like your end is nigh.

Last edited:
The article specifically states that it isn't being cancelled, fyi.

Honestly, the biggest question I have is Marvel animated cartoons. Is Feige going to start making children-targeted programs or are they abandoning new content for that demographic?

^^ I edited my post to better reflect the article before I saw your response.

Honestly, the biggest question I have is Marvel animated cartoons. Is Feige going to start making children-targeted programs or are they abandoning new content for that demographic?

Whether that means finishing the pilot or the season remains to be seen.

But, we all knew this was coming.

This comes as a shock to no one lol

Disney lacked oversight to be backtracking over Marvel TV like this after another year of Marvel TV planning down the drain after being ok'd and greenlighted to appease Kevin Feige. This whole thing going on behind the scenes really shows the level of supposed cluelessness on Disney's part to even allow Marvel TV to attempt to greenlight a bunch of stuff this year then show their faces as the one's pulling the rug out from under them these last few years all along. Very unfriendly and hostile work environment for sure not to mention fans who are essentially told not to care about some of the product they're putting out.

Marvel is just getting smaller with 1 person as the head of the TV department as well as the movies. Disney should've steered things right but obviously don't have the infrastructure in place to mediate. Supposedly, things were being kept separate where need be and Kevin Feige could be appeased by that.

It's not like the shows on Disney+ are actually shows in the traditional sense anyway. More like a 3 hr movie cut up into 30 minute segments if that. Essentially a new form of syndicated programming that's been taking place on SVOD's at times lately is a movie cut up into pieces with a episodic continuation within.

Syndicated small scale television stuff there's no reason to tie-in (if wish to for 1 or 2 shows just let Kevin do it with his own crew and someone from Disney limit Marvel TV on the amount of their own stuff they're able to do during this given period as opposed to overshooting and doing everything in 4 shows at once or sticking to rigid patterns). Marvel TV is certainly rigid and a lot of problems within it too but this just is not good for Disney's image as far as a company being able to integrate multiple personalities and departments within. They have many revenue streams for sure. They're getting so big they don't care about partnerships anymore with TV stations or other services as everything in-house now... I'll bet Kevin Feige was getting ready to wind his tenure down with Marvel Studio's and they did this to appease him.

Why Kevin would want to take over publishing and everything else just makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes and what kind of Machiavellian people work at Disney (before I would wonder about the close minded meddling and controlling people at Marvel Publishing but see there's all sorts of difficult people it seems from multiple ends).

Last edited:
Whether that means finishing the pilot or the season remains to be seen.

But, we all knew this was coming.
I thought it was clear that Feige would be handling television productions the minute it all got consolidated and it didn't make sense for there to be two separate divisions handling them even with the same head. It sucks for all the people who are losing their jobs, though. I hope they land on their feet. That's all this is, though. It isn't a comment on whether the current shows will be made - it still appears that Hulu's orders will be fulfilled. But there won't be a separate track in the future.

I saw the Harley Quinn pilot on TBS and thought that Marvel should be doing comparably blood, vulgar and hilarious stuff with the adult oriented animation shows on Hulu. Reported "created differences" and Loeb leaving might put the kibosh on Hit Monkey, Modok and Howard the Duck, or render them one year wonders with Helstrom. And if Feige has future plans for the characters, I could see Tigra & Dazzler being eliminated altogether.

It's extremely unlikely, but with Loeb gone I'd love to see the Deadpool animated series be resurrected. They had Donald Glover producing the show, and the leaked script was frikkin' hilarious.

The Hulu-ordered series aren't intended to be part of the MCU so they wouldn't conflict with any plans Feige might have.

The Hulu-ordered series aren't intended to be part of the MCU so they wouldn't conflict with any plans Feige might have.

Him being in charge of all things Marvel means more things on his plate irregardless of fictional connective tissue. Therefore, optimism I think is a glass all empty in that regard judging by history.

If anything, Alan Horne should just have someone else oversee the projects specifically that Kevin Feige wants to get rid of without making any new ones. That way, Hellstrom is a Hulu program and not DOA on arrival.

1 or 2 syndicated seasonal smaller scale live action shows at a time no more and I think that will be manageable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"