• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Marvel should stop with the tentpole movies

Mr. Sinister05

Civilian
Reaction score
Shouldn't marvel quit trying to make their movies appeal to everyone? Most summer movies try to appeal to kids, women (cue the throwaway romance subplot), young males, and families (which provokes pg-13 parameters).
I for one am sick of this. Every movie in the paramount deal is pretty much going to be either pg or pg-13 and will probably be written by a writer whose had their hands all over past comic projects (cue David Goyer, Simon Kinberg, David Hayter, ect.).

What gives?

The bigger the movies the better. Unless you want to watch a Spider-man movie with a 30 million dollar budget.

They make movies so they can make money, not because they wanna see something cool.Thank God for independent films

Mr. Sinister05 said:
Shouldn't marvel quit trying to make their movies appeal to everyone? Most summer movies try to appeal to kids, women (cue the throwaway romance subplot), young males, and families (which provokes pg-13 parameters).
I for one am sick of this. Every movie in the paramount deal is pretty much going to be either pg or pg-13 and will probably be written by a writer whose had their hands all over past comic projects (cue David Goyer, Simon Kinberg, David Hayter, ect.).

What gives?
So what do you want? "R" rated Spider-Man flicks?

Yep. The Punisher could have been so awesome if it would have followed the path of a Narc type flic. Instead we got a bad Arnie remake.

Daredevil has cool crime drama written all over it but we got a lame action movie.

Both of those characters have so much more to give and we might never see it and just forget FF.

Chris Wallace said:
So what do you want? "R" rated Spider-Man flicks?
No, R rated Daredevil...Like the Director's Cut...God, I watched that last night and I just wanted to spit on Gary Foster so bad.:mad: On the documentary he looked like he knew damn well the theatrical cut was a mistake and yet he still stuck by his word that that is the best one.

But yeah, I understand Mr. Sinister. Some movies (like Daredevil and The Punisher) were just not meant to be summer blockbusters but more like independent movies almost. Not everything should be grand multi-hundred million dollar Spider-man, X-men, Avengers endevours.

DD & Punisher weren't released in the summer & weren't intended to be summer blockbusters.

Chris Wallace said:
DD & Punisher weren't released in the summer & weren't intended to be summer blockbusters.
Yes but they were intended to be blockbuster tentpoles for their times. In fact DD was edited down so it could downright be a Spider-man/Batman ripoff.

Savage said:
God, I watched that last night and I just wanted to spit on Gary Foster so bad.:mad: On the documentary he looked like he knew damn well the theatrical cut was a mistake and yet he still stuck by his word that that is the best one.

Holy **** I watched that last night too. :confused:

That's one reason I'm happy The Crow and Blade came out in the 90's. If they had been made in recent years I'm almost sure both movies would have been watered down significantly....meaning no language and tame violence.

Unlikely; their comics aren't kid-friendly so why should their movies be? And by your rationale, how do you explain Spawn?

This thread makes no sense. Look, if the character wears bright-colored tights, is regularly seen on Saturday mornings, & kids sport his image on their clothes, backpacks & shoes, then his movie should be ACCESSIBLE TO kids. (Not the same as being FOR kids). If the character is best suited for MAX or Vertigo, or the animated series can only be aired late at night on HBO, then it should be "R" rated. It's that simple.

Well, actually you pretty much could make an R-rated movie out of anything (it doesn't mean it automatically equals ultra serious).

Oftentimes the line becomes blurred when saying which superheroes are accessible to kids.

When? W/the exception of Spawn & MAYBE Daredevil?

Both DD and Punisher should've been made as a R-rated movie, to reflect their comic book counterpart. But the biggest problem with both movies is the filmmaker who made the movies. They were given to directors who didn't have the talents possessed by Raimi and Nolan who could make a good film, and both DD and Punisher ended up suffering because of it.

I thought DD's direction was fine (in the end it was the editor that was the villain). It's The Punisher's director that just...sssucks. My god. He's so plain. Learn some atmosphere, man. I liked the movie itself but it felt like a TBS movie.

Chris Wallace said:
This thread makes no sense. Look, if the character wears bright-colored tights, is regularly seen on Saturday mornings, & kids sport his image on their clothes, backpacks & shoes, then his movie should be ACCESSIBLE TO kids. (Not the same as being FOR kids). If the character is best suited for MAX or Vertigo, or the animated series can only be aired late at night on HBO, then it should be "R" rated. It's that simple.
Tell that to the movie studios that base their movies off of old successful ones. I mean I was watching Mad Max on saturday and my eyes nearly fell out at the shot for shot similarities to the Punisher. Come on, Hensleigh! >=(

I liked Punisher & never saw Mad Max. And even if you're right it has nothing to do w/what I said.

Sure it does. I agree with what you said and that it SHOULD be that way but execs don't see that. No matter what type of character it is, they will be looking for whatever way to make it a huge success. They do this by looking at other, past successful movies of said genre and basing it off of them. My example was Daredevil which was cut down to be more kid/family friendly and Spider-man like. Hence the toning down of violence and a really good story about Matt solving the murder of a prostitute.

My point was that the basic mentality is "Hey, that movie was good. [or] Hey, that movie made a crapload of money. Let's make it like that!" and not simply doing what has worked for the character for years. Daredevil is anything but family friendly so don't make him so...It's like my point about Mortal Kombat being PG-13 to draw in the teenage crowd. It's mature material so don't water it down for money's sake...The result is the Daredevil theatrical cut.

I think that with minor tweaking marvel`s policy could still work. As long as they realise franchises like daredevil and punisher are always gonna be edgy then it will be fine.

I mean marvel isn`t image comics with a gory spawn wannabe or topless witchbalde woman around every corner. The vast majority of the character like the dc roster are largely U to PG-13 fodder, a gritty r-rated namor oR Fantastic Four movie would seem wildly pointless as the blood and violence would not seem to be in keeping with the characters.

Eeexactly and same goes for characters like Daredevil who may not have lots of blood and swearing in his comic books but the material itself is nothing less than R. He's a vigilante, not a superhero.

Why should Marvel stop? Marvel and the studios are trying to make money and the most money possible. It makes perfect sense. If they both weren't trying to be profitable, they wouldn't be in business very long and we wouldn't get the comics or films that we are seeing. The studios and the general public, with their wallets, are the reasons these films are tentpole events.

Now that the Marvel brand has a bit more clout in the film indusrty, they now have their own deal to make films. This wouldn't have been possible without prior financial success. Now Marvel is going to make the best quality (I hope) and most lucrative films they can to please the majority of the public and satisfy the stockholders. It's that simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"