Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD 5x16 "Inside Voices" Discussion Thread

I'm also in the camp that excused Creel's bad performance in the fight due to having his bell rung pretty hard when he touched the gravitonium. That would throw anyone off their game. Plus, it seems to take a long time for him to change based on whatever substance he is touching and she didn't seem to give him time to do that. However, I noticed the camera work was pretty close and lots of quick cuts so I have a feeling since she's much newer at this she's not as good at fight sequences as May or Daisy are now. But, why would he think turning to wood would help him against a sharp bladed weapon? The only thing worse for wood would (hee) be fire. FFS Creel.

I'm also in the camp that excused Creel's bad performance in the fight due to having his bell rung pretty hard when he touched the gravitonium. That would throw anyone off their game. Plus, it seems to take a long time for him to change based on whatever substance he is touching and she didn't seem to give him time to do that. However, I noticed the camera work was pretty close and lots of quick cuts so I have a feeling since she's much newer at this she's not as good at fight sequences as May or Daisy are now. But, why would he think turning to wood would help him against a sharp bladed weapon? The only thing worse for wood would (hee) be fire. FFS Creel.

I'm not concerned with his performance, story wise a lower tier boxer would be no match for someone trained to be an ultimate warrior from birth. The thing that was off was that his fighting style didn't invoke boxing style or really anything from a career fighter. Daredevil does a bunch of different martial arts but always manage to show his boxing roots. But I don't think the show has ever made any mentions of his boxing career, if they did it was probably just one line in an early episode of season 2. We're only so aware of it because it's one of the few connections the show has with the netflix series. So I wouldn't be surprise if that detail just completely slipped the mind of the production, it was just a small scene in the scheme of things.

Hard to say if it was Dove's fault or just a bad editor or rushed shooting. Since they're building up the fight with her and Quake next episode that'll be a better indication.

Hey, wood is much sturdier then flesh, he turned a kill shot into a flesh wound with that move.

I don't care if she trained from birth. She weighs 90 pounds soaking wet and is short with a smaller reach than Creel. A man the size and strength of Creel could have thrown her into a wall and ended the fight. Or punched her in the throat and killed her. Or broke her knee. Or her arms. Or choked her out. Pretty much anything other than swatting at her with a stick.

I have to assume he didn't want to kill her for some reason.

I don't care if she trained from birth. She weighs 90 pounds soaking wet and is short with a smaller reach than Creel. A man the size and strength of Creel could have thrown her into a wall and ended the fight. Or punched her in the throat and killed her. Or broke her knee. Or her arms. Or choked her out. Pretty much anything other than swatting at her with a stick.

I have to assume he didn't want to kill her for some reason.

You have watched the MCU? You can say the same about Peggy Carter's, Melinda May's and Natasha Romanoff's opponents.

Comic book physics.

Also, hasn't it been pretty firmly established she's more than just a regular 90-pound girl? She picked up a large weight and was using that to punch him with barely any effort. And I think he did actually throw her, which she shook off. So I don't think she breaks so easy.

None of those women are tiny pipsqueaks.

They don't have any superpowers but they easily take down guys bigger than themselves, which is very typical in all superhero shows.

They don't have any superpowers but they easily take down guys bigger than themselves, which is very typical in all superhero shows.

Just about all action shows, even when some characters don't have laws of physics defying powers. A punch or kick from a lead character because of his or her martial arts skills sends people with 100 lbs on the star flying

Creel is horribly utilized. He is touching steel, iron etc, and doesn't bother to turn himself or at least his fists to metal? He would have given her head the Gallagher treatment. The good thing from the promo at the end is, when Ruby starts telling Daisy that she (Ruby) is the destroyer of worlds, maybe Daisy will finally cut loose with her powers knowing she's not responsible.

What's weird to me is the fact that Hydra, before their downfall, gave Ruby any autonomy at all. That isn't exactly their style, considering she's supposedly just a weapon to them. So the fact she's been able to act like a typical spoiled brat teenager even before Hydra was exposed and their numbers decimated seems unlikely, so it is pretty hard to take her seriously. It's also kind of a wasted opportunity to show just how depraved Hydra can be if instead, they made Hale have a child and then forced her to treat Ruby as an object for most of her life until Hale realized she was last one left and she changed tactics. (Just like she did shooting that guy rather than forcing Ruby to shoot her dog.)

I'm also a little disappointed that in order to maintain the Hydra vs. SHIELD narrative, Hale has to be so randomly stubborn about what Coulson told her. I think the idea of SHIELD having to work *with* Hydra in order to prevent the future is so much more interesting. Maybe the real way to destroy Hydra is by killing it with kindness. Aww. Or something. But the turn of events feels a little too ham-fisted to keep Hale evil, SHIELD good, blah blah blah.

what Jemma and Yo Yo pulled on Mack (and Fitz) was harsh but that was the only interesting part of the episode.

what Jemma and Yo Yo pulled on Mack (and Fitz) was harsh but that was the only interesting part of the episode.

What do you mean "the only interesting part"? There were lots of cool scenes in this episode in addition to Jemma and Yo-Yo's ploy.

We had some great interactions between Coulson and Talbot during the prison break scene, and Creel had plenty of cool scenes as well. We also had some nice callbacks to the Season 1 gravitonium plotline, and we also got to see young Robin reunited with May, her future surrogate mother. It was nice to see May showing her motherly side again. Those were just a few of the parts I really liked in this episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"