Marvel's MMORPG: Marvel Universe Online ***TRAILER***

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
Here's the Trailer: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18uio_marvel-universe-online-trailer

10/12/2007 Update (New Trailer)

http://www.warcry.com/news/view/77887-Marvel-Universe-Online-Teaser-Trailer

I started a thread on this game months and months ago probably early last year but it's completely gone so now the trailers out...let's try again. :) This game is gonna rock. If this trailer is old...I've never seen it.

Here's the original announcement:

Marvel announces Xbox 360-exclusive MMORPG
Massively multiplayer games to feature company's comic book characters will be exclusive to Microsoft's next-gen console.
By Brendan Sinclair, Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
Posted Jul 14, 2005 11:58 am PT
Today at the Comic-Con International in San Diego, Marvel Enterprises announced a deal that gives Microsoft exclusive worldwide rights to make massively multiplayer online role-playing games based on characters from its popular comic books.

Perhaps of more significance to gamers, the two companies revealed that the as-yet untitled Marvel game will be developed exclusively on the Xbox 360, not on the PC like the vast majority of MMORPGs. That means any MMORPG to feature the hundreds of classic characters, such as the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, and Iron Man will only appear on Microsoft's next-generation console.

Marvel's entry into the MMORPG market comes as little surprise. Speculation sparked up last November when the company sued NCsoft, claiming the publisher's highly successful City of Heroes MMORPG allowed players to create characters so close to Marvel properties that they constituted copyright infringement. While the suit is ongoing, NCsoft scored a partial victory in March, when a judge threw out many of Marvel's complaints.

Regardless of the lawsuit's outcome, NCsoft won't be the only competition for Microsoft and Marvel's MMORPG project. Last month, Sony Online Entertainment picked up the rights to make a DC Comics-inspired MMORPG in a deal that also saw the company acquiring The Matrix Online.

Microsoft and Marvel mentioned neither the number of titles covered by the agreement, nor when the first game will be released. However, the announcement does mark the fourth Xbox 360 MMORPG to be announced since the console was unveiled two months ago, following APB, Huxley, and Final Fantasy XI (which is already available for the PC and PlayStation 2). By comparison, the only high-profile MMORPG for the current-generation Xbox was the now-canceled True Fantasy Live Online, although there are rumors the game will be resurrected for the 360.

Again if this is old...sorry.

So how is this whole thing gonna work anyway? in every community one guy get's to be Spider-man and one get's to be Cap and soforth?

sh1t, that looks cool. that first image of spider-man, awesome. very well done trailer!

So how is this whole thing gonna work anyway? in every community one guy get's to be Spider-man and one get's to be Cap and soforth?
I think it's like COH/COV. You make your own hero/villian and interact with the classic Marvel characters and icons.

but its for 360 so you wont have to pay like COH?

Myth 1)
Will I have to pay?

Yes. You will have to pay, because they'll still be working on the game after it's released and improving it/adding onto it. If a game is all-online, it has a payment schedule, like Phatasy Star Universe (also on the 360). It is impossible to have a high-quality MMO that you don't pay a monthly fee for. There are plenty one player Marvel games out there that you don't have to pay money for... this happens to NOT be one of them.

Myth 2)
Will it be just like CoH/CoV?

No. While Cryptic (the makers of CoH) are going to be making this game, it's developers have spoken on several occasions on things that they would do differently if they had another chance to make a superhero MMO. This includes a much more organic class system and much more diverse teaming. It's likely many other things will be different as well.

Myth 3)
Will I be able to play as Marvel characters?

This is solidly unknown. The Developers have plans for players to play as Marvel characters WITHOUT a clone problem going on, but how this can be done and IF it can be done have not been solidified yet. The devs have implied that they will try to make Marvel characters playable. Again, the devs have made it pretty clear that it will not use Marvel Characters as CoH uses it's background characters.

-----------------

My thoughts:

Licensced Player Characters:
Marvel characters should be playable both on a rental system (save up enough points to rent spidey for an hour) or for instanced missions (perhaps with PSU-like lobbies)... in both cases, no two Spider-Men will ever meet, but Wolverine-fanatics will still get their fix... not to mention you and all your friends can team up as the X-Men.

Voice Chat
Would make this game own. It's going to be over live... I can only imagine if you can talk in real time as you beat up on the masses action-style. That would simply own.

I hope theres a demo. Something like this could be cool & I hope that with the payment options they allow for more then paying month after month.

I bet in about 6 more months the game will be cancled..this is just to good to be true. Hoefully I'll be wrong.

when is this going to be out?

I hate BS pre rendered trailers, I want to see what this thing actually looks like in game now.

I dont know how they will do everything but i hope we get to be our fav Marvel characters. I mean say i want to use Ghost Rider, then id join a lobby that didnt have anyone using the Rider. I dont know how this would work or if its possible, but thats what id want.

I think its gonna work like Star Wars Galaxies. Create your own hero/villain and get to meet the Marvel heroes/villains, who will give you quests/mission and possibly join you for some.

Thats how I'd like it to play. Also, it would be cool if you could join teams (Avengers, F4, X-Men....) and create your own. I dont think you'll be able to play as a Marvel character. It would be too difficult cause everyone would want to.

Unless theres some kind of reward for a mission or quest (or some other way) that lets you play as a Marvel character for a while.

While a Marvel MMO sounds awesome I'd go for the DC MMO myself. Jim Lee will be one of the key collaborators and they'll be using the Unreal Engine 3.
IGN states that "The title is planned for PC and next-gen systems, and is likely for release on PS3 and even PSP".

Thats how I'd like it to play. Also, it would be cool if you could join teams (Avengers, F4, X-Men....) and create your own. I dont think you'll be able to play as a Marvel character. It would be too difficult cause everyone would want to

That would actually be pretty cool. Join the X-Men live at the mansion etc. This MMORPG does have potential.

Like in the old topic that got deleted, I agree when whoever said you probably won't play as the actual hero's. Someone will get a Wolverine or a Spiderman, and another guy would be stuck with Jubilee, and I can't see someone paying $15 a month to play as a character they hate. It will probably have to be character creation with interaction with famous characters.

Now what I would love is if it interacts with actual happenings in the MU. It would be great let's say during CW it made you chose a side and hunt eachother down. Or during an Annihilation arc you could choose to go to space with an expansion pack and assist, and so on.

Wow... people just don't read anymore...

For those who actually read, there will be actual interactions with the Marvel Universe storylines, and the dev team will collaborate with the marvel writers and yearly storylines from Marvel will make it directly in the game with the possibility of created game characters appearing in Marvel Comics... I guess I need to go find the interviews myself, huh?

Edit:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158912.html

Jack Emmert said:
Don't presume anything right now.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/18/1728204

Jack Emmert on what he would have done differently with CoH said:
I think I would approach Archetype balance differently. We relied heavily on some time tested MMP tactics. In other words, one Archetype attracts aggro, another deals heavy melee damage, while the long range Archetypes sit back and help. In addition, all Archetypes become more powerful at the same rate. If I had an unlimited development time, I would have loved to create a different system of balance between the Archetypes so that the urban, low powered vigilante could fight alongside the cosmic powered champion - and each would have something to contribute to combat.

Other Interview on CoH.
http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm?loadFeature=486&bhcp=1

On Why MMOs cost money:
http://www.raphkoster.com/gaming/busmodels.shtml

(Is calmed down) I know you guys may have read about a lot of MMOs, but every big one brings new innovations, as will this one. Ignorance is a choice. Thank you for your time.

This game could be Hella awesome and cool when it comes out. Not sure how they'll handle people who want to play the same character, but the game should rock.

This game could be Hella awesome and cool when it comes out. Not sure how they'll handle people who want to play the same character, but the game should rock.

Well thats if they let us control the Marvel characters, maybe well have to create one.

In-game pics would be nice. We're all pretty excited regardless though.

In-game pics would be nice. We're all pretty excited regardless though.

Any word on when we are going to see some sort of artwork, videos, etc.?

I know I'm excited about it, just wish they would give us some more info instead of just specualtion. Around what season is it suppose to be out in 08?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"