Daredevil Matt Gerald is Melvin Potter

Six

Sidekick
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for him so I figured it was time he got one. He was only in a couple episodes this season, but I imagine he'll
be the one to make Matt's suits from now on.
I also hope he suits up himself somewhere down the line.

Yeah, he was great. I loved that they didn't try to hide from the mental illness aspects. He came off as the manchild he is from whatever that issue co-written by Denny O'Neil and Frank Miller right before Man Without Fear. He's a sympathetic, yet dangerous character, and I hope he suits up some time soon.

What's his story? I know in the comics he was a villain at some point, but then became an ally. He also married his therapist. Did he go back to being a villain, is he still an ally? Is he still in or out of costume?

Yeah, he was great. I loved that they didn't try to hide from the mental illness aspects. He came off as the manchild he is from whatever that issue co-written by Denny O'Neil and Frank Miller right before Man Without Fear. He's a sympathetic, yet dangerous character, and I hope he suits up some time soon.

Was that an aspect of the character in the comics? I didn't see any mention of it in my Googling.

Cool nod to his costume with the throwing of the saw blades.

Fun fact: Melvin is not the first character Matt Gerald has played in the MCU. He also played White Power Dave in the "All Hail The King" One-Shot. Twin brothers, maybe? :hmm

He was also cast in Ant-Man as Whirlwind when Edgar Wright was still attached. Marvel must really like the guy.

I fear for Betsy's well-being. I'm pretty sure she's going to get hurt at one point when Fisk gets out again. Melvin won't be happy that the mystery man broke his promise to protect her. It's bound to get him very confused

Last edited:
He was also cast in Ant-Man as Whirlwind when Edgar Wright was still attached. Marvel must really like the guy.

Isn't Whirlwind a mutant? Surprised Marvel can use him at all.

^ While Marvel can't say the word "mutant," whether they can use them is completely independent of whether they are mutants. What they can't use is X-Men characters, not mutants.

And apparently really like him having buzzsaws...

Although I never heard rumors that Whirlwind was going to be in that movie. Still, it gives me hope we'll see more of him next season.

^ While Marvel can't say the word "mutant," whether they can use them is completely independent of whether they are mutants. What they can't use is X-Men characters, not mutants.
. . .

Tell that to Joss Whedon ;)

They have certain leeway, but most certainly can't use the term "mutant," but they have plenty of ways around that.

So far, at least as far as they are making the point in AOS, they are classifying super powered individuals, or at least have pointed out the distinction, as either being imbued with abilities, vs innately having them.

It's interesting, as the Inhumans are popping up, as they are pointing out this distinction, but they (the Inhumans) kind of bridge both.
They are having something done to them to bring out their abilities, but they are technically bringing out what was already in them.

I wonder if that's intentional, or not.

Any who, we know they aren't going to just call any mutant character they want to use Inhuman just to get around it, but we don't know for sure what they will do.
We do know that the twins in AOU will have been altered via experimentation, but I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel has planned it all out leaving a back door open, should they ever get the rights back, or work out another deal like they did with Sony. Considering how long Marvel had been making plans for Spider-man in the MCU, there's no way they haven't had similar discussions internally around the X-Men, mutants, and the FF.

Of course, I doubt Fox will be looking to reboot the X-Universe any time soon, especially with the success of DOFP, and Apocolypse, and Deadpool coming up. Really the only thing in the X-verse that looks potentially disappointing is the 3rd Wolverine film, and only because of their track record.

Considering Mutants' abilities are initially dormant, they could very likely claim, latter, that the experiments on the twins only awakened their abilities.
Given their age, they will likely also have to have an explanation as to why they were still dormant well past adolescence though.

Long story short, I won't be surprised if we hear the word "mutant" in the MCU in the semi-near future.

So, does anyone have a clue about what kind of material Melvin used for the Daredevil (and Kingpin's suit)?

Tell that to Joss Whedon ;)

They're Avengers characters and aren't called Mutants, which is my point.

Speaking of Joss Whedon, they probably can't use SWORD. They almost certainly can't use the Shi'ar or the Brood. They certainly can't use the Friends of Humanity or Juggernaut. None of those are mutants.

They can use Typhoid Mary, who is generally considered a mutant in the sense that she was born with her powers. They can use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch because they're equally associated with the Avengers as the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. And, relevant to the question, they can use Whirlwind because he's not associated with the X-Men (if anything, he's associated with Iron Man).

They're Avengers characters and aren't called Mutants, which is my point.

Speaking of Joss Whedon, they probably can't use SWORD. They almost certainly can't use the Shi'ar or the Brood. They certainly can't use the Friends of Humanity or Juggernaut. None of those are mutants.

They can use Typhoid Mary, who is generally considered a mutant in the sense that she was born with her powers. They can use Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch because they're equally associated with the Avengers as the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. And, relevant to the question, they can use Whirlwind because he's not associated with the X-Men (if anything, he's associated with Iron Man).

Yep. Although I'm not sure if Marvel can't use Sword, I'm almost positive that they can't use Abigail Brand. It's a shame since I'd really like to see her on Agents of SHIELD.

Juggernaut will not appear with the other Thunderbolts. Shi'Ar will almost certainly be part of X-Men Apocalypse. Brood can be negotiated for but I still feel like Captain Marvel and Guardians of The Galaxy have stories which don't utilize the Brood at all.

IMO, Guardians 2 should be an adaptation of the Abnett/Lanning run and feature the Universal Church of Truth and bring Adam Warlock and Quasar onto the team while using the Matriarch as the villain. Guardians 3 can easily be Annihilation Conquest where Moondragon and Nova would join up and Guardians 4 can be Celestial Madonna where Mantis joins. If Marvel somehow don't have the rights to the Shi'Ar, Brood or the Negative Zone back by Phase 6, a story featuring Count Abyss as the villain is still an option.

As for Captain Marvel, there can still be sequels for her after her origin story. I'm thinking something along the lines of Live Kree or Die for Captain Marvel 2, then War of the Marvels for Captain Marvel 3. Captain Marvel 4 can be Ascension.

Point being, the two franchises which need the Shi'Ar and Brood the most can last until Phase 6 without Marvel getting anything back from Fox.

I wonder if Betsy is even real in the world of this show. They didn't spend much time other than showing that Melvin Potter was kind of on the autistic side.

Point being, the two franchises which need the Shi'Ar and Brood the most can last until Phase 6 without Marvel getting anything back from Fox.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. My point was simply that Whirlwind is an available character because he's not an X-Men character.

I wonder if Betsy is even real in the world of this show. They didn't spend much time other than showing that Melvin Potter was kind of on the autistic side.

Well since he's also schizophrenic in the comics (and hinted to be on the show) it's possible. But unlikely since she's probably still keeping him from having episodes and thus not becoming Gladiator yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"