MCU Fight: Corvus Glaive Vs. War Machine

Yeah, not really sure about the physics on that particular feat, or how this turned into a "how strong is Thor and Hulk?" thread, or why everyone's obsessed with the 100 ton threshold. Can we all agree it's an impressive feat regardless of superhero physics and move on ?

Fixed and it was because someone said they were 10 tonners on the first page.

This brings up the question of how does your average ground-based short range attack character take on anyone with flight and heavy targeted ranged powers? Unless they have enough durability (or maybe something like phasing) to take on an endless barrage and a way of attacking the guy in the air, they are pretty much stuffed.

By and large, the answer is "They don't". Aside from having enough durability to outlast the flier, the other main method would be having enough speed to evade everything, and to up the chance of landing the difficult long range hit. Really, though, that's just a variation on "able to survive and counterattack". It just generally sucks to fight an opponent who can attack you but can't be attacked back. Same reason why it sucks to fight a speedster when you aren't.

With regards to piercing attacks,
I was referring to Proxima's spear, sorry should have clarified.

If you watch frame by frame when Widow stabs him the tines go right through him.

The Glaive weapon is sharp enough to impale an asgardian and strong enough to deflect beams from the mind stone - it would probably outright kill anyone but Thor, Thanos or Hulk, and would likely injure them seriously.

It's probably on a par with Hela's death blades.

My intent was to talk about both stabbings but somehow I seem to have forgotten to include my planned comment about her spear, which we don't have any benchmark for as he was the only one stabbed with it. I would naturally assume that both wield weapons that are to be considered very powerful, so I'd expect that weapon to be very capable in that department as well. I can see the glaive being more capable at stabbing/cutting but if the spear wasn't really capable I don't see why she would throw it instead of shooting with it. It becomes a pretty unknown factor all in all.

Even in the comics Loki is nowhere near Thor in terms of strength - in the MCU we don't see Thor lift anything near 100 tons. a 747 airplane is around 300 tons - and on that note the most impressive strength feats are Giant Man tearing a wing off a plane and throwing it, Hulk stopping that giant mechanized monster with one punch and Thor belting the Hulk around and helping pull the rings of Nivadelir back into alignment ( as much a durability gear as a strength feat).

Pulling the rings of Nidavellir back into alignment seems like Thor's best physical strength feat by far but between the unknown materials and unknown power of Rocket's ship it's pretty hard to judge just how much force Thor was resisting. Same deal with the times he's wrestled with Hulk since Hulk's power level varies.

He actually does have a low key 100+ tonne feat we can quantify though. With no leverage, the guy casually tore out of seven loops of Surtur's chains around his arms like it was nothing.

giphy.gif

One of those chains is strong enough to temporarily restrain Surtur's fire dragon:

giphy.gif

If we assume these chains are equivalent to industrial steel chains (which seems fair), then according to this guy's maths that's a 295 tonne feat:

Pulling the rings of Nidavellir back into alignment seems like Thor's best physical strength feat by far but between the unknown materials and unknown power of Rocket's ship it's pretty hard to judge just how much force Thor was resisting. Same deal with the times he's wrestled with Hulk since Hulk's power level varies.

He actually does have a low key 100+ tonne feat we can quantify though. With no leverage, the guy casually tore out of seven loops of Surtur's chains around his arms like it was nothing.

giphy.gif

One of those chains is strong enough to temporarily restrain Surtur's fire dragon:

giphy.gif

If we assume these chains are equivalent to industrial steel chains (which seems fair), then according to this guy's maths that's a 295 tonne feat:

Yep and if anyone thinks Thor breaking chains took more force than helping Rocket free those rings or even opening the iris of Nidavellir they're just being contrarian.

Yep and if anyone thinks Thor breaking chains took more force than helping Rocket free those rings or even opening the iris of Nidavellir they're just being contrarian.

Hmmmm......breaking the chains with no leverage or momentum is pretty impressive.

The ring pull relies on Thor acting as an anchor while the rocket pod' s thrusters pull the rings back into line. He has both momentum and leverage here ( and gravity to help him). It's impressive, but simply shrugging and snapping those chains shouldn't be underestimated.....

I ....and has nothing to do with how War Machine would shoot all kinds of holes in Corvus Glaive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"