Metal Gear Solid 1: PSX Original or Gamcube Twin Snakes

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
I've been playing MGS3: Snake Eater for......a long time. I love the game, and I love the series. So I thought I would get back and play the previous games once again. As it turned out, because I've been playing Snake Eater made it slightly difficult to replay the previous games because of how much Snake Eater has improved from the previouses. For MGS2, it was just that. But for MGS1, the Gamecube version, it was because I had a hard time mainly because of the difference from the well known controls from the Playstation (1&2). But with a little help, I managed to replay Sons of Liberty with no problem. But for MGS1, it wasn't the case. Thats when I started to think about the two versions, PSX and Gamecube, of MGS1.

Since the release of the Gamecube version, I've played it and beaten it and I enjoyed it. The main reason, for me, was because of the graphics and how it now made the MGS1, MGS2, and MGS3 fit together since it was a "trilogy". But when I played MGS2, the flashbacks to MGS1 using the PSX version is there making it part of continuity. So I then thought: which is more important?

The Playstation 1 version and the Nintendo Gamecube version of Metal Gear Solid 1. Which do you prefer from these versions of the game? Not just from the continuity and graphics, but the characters interactions as well and everythign else that makes the PSX version what it is and the Gamecube version what it is.

Which one?

They're both pretty much the same. Metal Gear Solid 2 used the Playstation version of the game because the Gamecube version wasn't even in the process of development.

If you're looking for a great plot (one word horrorfan, I swear it) and no nonsense, PS1... Gamecube version is good... just the Matrix like action sequences ruin it a little.

Is there a big difference between the Gamecube version of MGS1 & the PSX version ? Is the Gamecube version the same story but just updated graphics or something like that ?

I'll give you the rundown: Twin Snakes is an enhanced remake of the PSX version of the game. The vast updates were in the gameplay and graphics so it could be similar to MGS2: Sons of Liberty. You still have the areas and enemies from MGS1, but with new ways to fight them like having First Person View. And instead of being spotted and quickly in Alert Phase, they contact via radio to get reinforcments just like MGS2 (& 3). The voice acting re-recorded, with most of the original voice cast from Metal Gear Solid returning (most since Greg Eagles, who plays both the Ninja and the DARPA Chief in the PSX version, only did the DARPA Chief in Twin Snakes).

The "Matrix-style" fights scenes was talking about: they were directed by Japanese film director Ryuhei Kitamura (you did a populat film call Versus, and also did Godzilla: Final Wars). The fight scenes were done reflecting his signature style of bullet-time photography and choreographed gunplay. The cricitism is that at times, it delayed getting to the point of an action or the scene. And maybe because he didn't do the first game, Harry Gregson-Williams didn't do the music for Twin Snakes.

Here is the opening sequence to Twin Snakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy9Y_V8bwvI

So basically it is ther first metal gear solid but for Gamecube with new features. Cool I have been looking to get into this series now i know where to start instead of hunting down the original PSX. Thanks for the rundown so if I start with this Im not missing anything at all they just enchanced whats already & did not change anything story wise or level wise or bad guy wise they just simply added a new thing or two & of course updated the graphics. I know to pick this up

Yeah, I mean if you're in with the Gamecube version of the first game, you only need one for the Gamecube, two for the PS2 and just the PS3 for the next one coming late '07. Not worring about the one for the PSX. Altogether: 4 Metal Gear Solids.

I should say four Metal Gear games for the PS2, as there are four games of Metal Gear for that system, but I said two because I'm referring to MGS2: Substance & MGS3: Subsistance. Which, as many here would say, for you to get those imstead of the originally released ones.

Oh wait, wait a minute. Its actually 5 Metal Gear Solids. There is also Metal Gear SOlid: Portable Ops for the PSP. I have not played this game myself (as my PSP is beign a b*tch) but they reviews are either 4/5, 5/5, 9/10 or 10/10. So theres that game too.

Now what was it that this thread was about? ....................

Oh yeah, which do you guys prefer: the PSX MGS1 or Gamecube MGS1?

I dont own a Gamecube but went out and bought this game to use on someone elses system. I never played the original so that was my reason. It was a good game (It was still MGS). I just hated the controls. That game was just made for the PS controller

Gonna go with the Gamecube version on this one. Better graphics, better action sequences, better gameplay, could get more emotionally involved with the story. It also feels more in line with the sequels because of the similarities...Wonder if they're gonna try the same thing for the PS3 once MGS4 is out. That would be kick ass. :up:

Thanks guys I have always wanted to play the first Metal Gear Solid game (I never did play the PSX one) now I know to just get the Gamecube one.

One thing I can say is its hard to play MGS1 after playing MGS2 bc so much has changed. I think Konami created TTS in part to appeal to those new fans like myself as its alot more familiar. Going back to MGS1 would be like a step backwards to me. I tried it on the PC with a PS2 controller and I had a hard time getting into it. Wheras with TTS, it felt just like an extension of MGS2 since the new game moves and mechanics were in place.

1 thing Ive heard from fans of the original is that TTS is much easier and takes out the challenge bc of the MGS2 enhancements. Those included first person shooting and hanging off teh side of railings for one. You could just choose not o do any of these though and still get the same gameplay experience so people really shouldnt have complained about that

Pros
- Brings Metal Gear Solid 2 styled gameplay to the original Metal Gear Solid such as first person view for shooting and hanging from ledges.

- Updated graphics.

- Improved voice acting for Mei Ling, Grey Fox, and Psycho Mantis.

- No changes to the story.

- Cutscenes overall, were better than the originals mostly due to improved graphical capabilities

Cons
- The graphics on Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was better than Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

- The Metal Gear Solid series controls are built more for the Playstation's controller, not the Xbox or Nintendo controllers. It takes quite a while to get used to them.

- The cutscenes used way too much bullet time.

- Otacon fell down too much.

- The music is nowhere near as good as the original.

- The voice acting for Naomi Hunter, Vulcan Raven, and Sniper Wolf declined drastically.

- Having already played Metal Gear Solid and bringing elements from Metal Gear Solid 2, the game becomes really easy.

- The game caused Silicon Knights to leave Nintendo.

Havok83 said:
One thing I can say is its hard to play MGS1 after playing MGS2 bc so much has changed. I think Konami created TTS in part to appeal to those new fans like myself as its alot more familiar. Going back to MGS1 would be like a step backwards to me. I tried it on the PC with a PS2 controller and I had a hard time getting into it. Wheras with TTS, it felt just like an extension of MGS2 since the new game moves and mechanics were in place.

Actually Kojima allowed the remake as a favor to Shigeru Miyamoto because he requested for it. Just like they're allowing Snake to be in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, because Kojima requested for it.

My only gripe with the Gamecube version is that in some of the cut scenes the over the top action is way too ridiculous. I always liked the fact that even though Snake was facing these larger then life opponents, he was still just a man with a gun and a kick ass mullet. So it just felt too forced and cartoonish when they showed him doing things like riding a missile.

Okay, I just started playing the GC version....again. Now I can handle it. I had to give it time to relearn everything. How? Well its something I used (for Gamecube, PSX/PS2, Xbox) to make things "easier" and you can use it too. Two words:

ACTION REPLAY.

BTW, to people who said that they made it easy for Twin Snakes: don't agree with that. Very easy is VERY easy. But, lets say, starting with normal mode: its hard. You kill and you kill and you kill and more and more and more of 'em keep coming.

So get Action Replay for your game troubles. I mean alog with my tuxedo, socom, and other weapons I have at the very beginning this time, I also get stealth and no reload and infinite health. Thats what you would get with Action Replay.

Just wanted to point that out.

I prefer the original, no doubt.

Twin Snakes was great, but it just didn't capture the feeling of playing the first one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"