Homecoming Michael Giacchino is the Composer for Spider-Man: Homecoming

Still disappointed after finally seeing the film, the score never really takes off, it stays well within the safe zone for the duration of the film, and never really establishes a full theme, something that Elfman, Horner, and Zimmer made sure to do. Giacchino is capable of creating a truly memorable Spider-Man score, but what he made was just forgettable instead.

I noticed that Alan Silvestri was credited for his Avengers theme. When was it used in the movie?
There's a quick motif from the Avengers theme at the beginning of the movie ("Worlds Changing"), and when Peter arrives at the Avengers Facility ("A Stark Contrast").
So im the one who didnt like the idea of making the theme here that 60s theme and I also seem to be the only one to really like the score. I wonder if there's some correlation there.

You're not the only one. After listening to the full thing, I absolutely love it. Just has this energy to it. Very fun to listen to, and I really like the main theme. Don't know where I rank it yet.

I honestly didn't like Giacchino's version of the 60s theme, it's pretty bland. The actual theme wasn't much better though

Last edited:
Score was just noise, which leads back to the MCU having bland scores. Props for doing the original theme with the Marvel Studios logo, though.

Giacchino's score was great.

I walked out of the theater with two very distinct and hummable themes stuck in my head. The Peter/Spider-Man theme and the Vulture theme.

This is one of Marvel's strongest scores.

Having the orchestral theme for the Spider-Man 60's cartoon was the most memorable thing about the score. The rest is very forgettable. In fact I have forgotten it.

Giacchino's new score for Star Trek was far more memorable.

I also like Kevin Manthei's Ultimate Spider-Man theme music. For an animated TV series, I thought it was good, and he threw in variations of the theme now and again.

[YT]GQUDz5jVjSk[/YT]

I thought the score was effective in the film. It's definitely the most upbeat and lighthearted of the six Spidey scores. I felt the music was very significant during the Washington Monument rescue sequence. Giacchino's main theme was simple, but catchy. With that said I think he should've adapted and took advantage of the 60s Spidey theme rather than just tipping his hat off to it during the Marvel logo. Particularly during Spidey's more integral moments in the movie. Giacchino's main theme feels more like a secondary theme, imo. He could've had both themes playing counterpoint to one another. Missed opportunity.

Vulture's theme didn't resonate with me as much as Spidey's did. In fact, I couldn't really comprehend Vulture's theme.

Even though I normally don't pay too much attention to the score on my first viewings. Giacchino's score still managed to leave a positive impression on me in the film. I'm looking forward to purchasing and hearing the soundtrack album, which will hopefully be soon. Then I can elaborate more on how I feel about the score.

I thought the score was effective in the film. It's definitely the most upbeat and lighthearted of the six Spidey scores. I felt the music was very significant during the Washington Monument rescue sequence. Giacchino's main theme was simple, but catchy. With that said I think he should've adapted and took advantage of the 60s Spidey theme rather than just tipping his hat off to it during the Marvel logo. Particularly during Spidey's more integral moments in the movie. Giacchino's main theme feels more like a secondary theme, imo. He could've had both themes playing counterpoint to one another. Missed opportunity.

Vulture's theme didn't resonate with me as much as Spidey's did. In fact, I couldn't really comprehend Vulture's theme.

Even though I normally don't pay too much attention to the score on my first viewings. Giacchino's score still managed to leave a positive impression on me in the film. I'm looking forward to purchasing and hearing the soundtrack album, which will hopefully be soon. Then I can elaborate more on how I feel about the score.

Agree with this :up:

Score was just noise, which leads back to the MCU having bland scores. Props for doing the original theme with the Marvel Studios logo, though.

Well, see, that answers my question about whether the original theme appears anywhere else in the film, even as short bursts or some variation of it, besides the opening logo.

This fanmade score is EVERYTHING!!!

LOVE IT!!

EPIC STUFF

Well, see, that answers my question about whether the original theme appears anywhere else in the film, even as short bursts or some variation of it, besides the opening logo.

it actually does briefly.

I'm glad Giacchino didn't try to rely on the classic Spider-Man theme too much. I prefer it when composers try to do their thing overall, even if they respectable of the music that came before them.

I thought the score was effective enough in the film, and I like the theme, but like most modern scores, a lot of is intentionally dialed back so audiences aren't "distracted".

This fanmade score is EVERYTHING!!!

LOVE IT!!

EPIC STUFF

Something about this. Even if it's fanmade, I like it better than what Giacchino gave us as the main theme.

Today's new crop of Hollywood composers are underachievers! UNDERACHIEVERS!

What happened to this?

[YT]pGOm6fTulLw[/YT]

Or this?

[YT]n4PQRpo2Wng[/YT]

Or this:

[YT]Kbdpdr4u2fU[/YT]

[YT]kRZAk2rfESU[/YT]

It's like the non-superhero movies of yesteryear had better and more iconic superhero themes than the ones that get made today do.

Last edited:
Something about this. Even if it's fanmade, I like it better than what Giacchino gave us as the main theme.

Today's new crop of Hollywood composers are underachievers! UNDERACHIEVERS!

What happened to this?

[YT]pGOm6fTulLw[/YT]

Or this?

[YT]n4PQRpo2Wng[/YT]

Or this:

[YT]Kbdpdr4u2fU[/YT]

[YT]kRZAk2rfESU[/YT]

It's like the non-superhero movies of yesteryear had better and more iconic superhero themes than the ones that get made today do.

Hollywood decided it didn't like "themes" very much.

I saw the score was on Spotify and tried to listen to it on its own but I gave up after the first 3 tracks, it's just so boring. Among Marvel's weakest soundtracks and that's saying a lot.

very few movies soundtracks stand out to me over all and most that do are zimmer soundtracks lol. This movie was no different in that the music I didn't care for. Heck out of all the MCU movies I would say none had good music just so so music over all. I love the winter soilder theme in CAP winter soilder but out side of that nothing in the MCU music is really any thing special.

they migrated
[YT]J9d9UrK0Jsw[/YT]
The rest in here:
[YT]-RcPZdihrp4[/YT]
[YT]sBRrwgQLP2g[/YT]
[YT]X35voOs4rQA[/YT]
[YT]bMt1ILTzCac[/YT]
4:00 specifically on this one
[YT]XM8KGGYQlYo[/YT]

Having the orchestral theme for the Spider-Man 60's cartoon was the most memorable thing about the score. The rest is very forgettable. In fact I have forgotten it.
Sad but true, especially considering the other themes that have emerged from the Spider-Man franchise.

NNc405k.jpg

I’ve seen Spider-Man: Homecoming twice in theaters already. And I’ve enjoyed it both times. It’s easily right up there with the first two Raimi Spider-Man movies for me. Both Tom Holland and Michael Keaton gave excellent performances and pretty much carried the movie, imo. Even though I normally don’t pay too much attention to the score on my first viewings unless it’s too distracting or conspicuous in the movie, but I thought Michael Giacchino’s score was very effective in the film. His Spider-man theme even resonated with me afterwards. On my second viewing the score was still effective but stood out even more for me. I was able to comprehend Vulture’s theme and Iron Man/Tony Stark’s new theme/motif a bit better.

The Spider-Man: Homecoming album opens with a brisk arrangement of the iconic original 60s theme (minus the lyrics) titled “Theme From Spider-Man (Original Television Series)”, which played over the Marvel Studios logo in the film. It’s a clever reminder to the listener/viewer that this iteration of Spidey is apart of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. As well as Spidey being somewhat back home at Marvel. As much as I’ve enjoyed the previous themes/motifs for Spider-Man by Danny Elfman, James Horner, and Hans Zimmer from previous installments. I must admit that it was pretty cool hearing the original 60s theme open the score album to Spidey’s first solo movie in the MCU. I just wish it could’ve been utilized more in the score instead of once. Normally when an established theme is used to open the film through logos or main titles it’s usually there to set the tone of what to expect from the score. I felt that it was a missed opportunity to adapt the theme only for a brief logo sequence. It would be like a Mission Impossible movie had adapted the iconic Mission Impossible theme in the title sequence only but was absent for the remainder of the movie/score. I understand why they chose for it to appear during the Marvel Studios logo only because Spidey is now apart of the MCU, but I don’t think that cue (as good it was) did it enough justice. It mostly just came and went. Plus I think the 60s theme could’ve played a more integral role in this score because the previous Spider-Man scores chose to avoid the theme and compose their own, which never bothered me. However I think it was a missed opportunity here because this Spider-Man is apart of the MCU. It would’ve been more fitting for this film to utilize the 60s theme more. It’s very surprising that Giacchino avoided it for the remainder of the film. He normally hasn’t any problem with adapting iconic themes (Mission Impossible 3 and Ghost Protocol, Speed Racer, etc.) Even the “Spider-Man: Homecoming Suite“, which played during the end credits roll, avoided using the 60s theme. At least if they adapted it into the suite it could’ve bookend the album. However, it’s a minor quibble that doesn’t hurt the score regardless.

Giacchino’s Spider-Man theme is very upbeat, playful and catchy. It has a little bit of a swing jazz feel during certain moments. The theme characterizes Peter’s enthusiasm of trying to make a difference as Spider-Man. Certain moments in the score the theme reflects Peter’s excitement of being Spider-Man, which during most of the film seems to be the highlight of Peter’s day. Even though the main theme is very catchy. It could use a bit more nuance. Giacchino mostly depicts Spidey’s wit and heroics with fun, heroic, and triumphant arrangements of his theme. The main theme pretty much roots for Peter to succeed, but it’s lacking an emotional secondary theme or arrangement of the main theme. “A Stark Contrast” (moment where Peter kindly refuses Tony’s offer to finally become a member of The Avengers) is the only track where the theme is played more sentimental and emotional. However, that cue takes place near the end of the album and film. I think the theme is lacking on depicting Peter’s more emotional and sympathetic side. And because of that the theme becomes a little repetitive at times. That’s why I think the score could not only benefit from a more emotional theme or variation of the main theme but the 60s theme being used for the more integral moments in the score/film. The 60s theme could’ve not only represent moments of triumph but Peter’s maturity into Spider-Man during certain moments. After all this version is a more inexperience Spider-Man, who‘s still learning how to balance high school, growing up, responsibilities, and crime fighting. It would’ve been interesting hearing Giacchino alternate between his theme and 60s theme with both sometimes playing counterpoint to one another. It’s still a catchy and fun main theme regardless.

Vulture’s theme, which reminded me of Phillip Glass’ and Marco Beltrami’s Fantastic Four (2015) main theme, is very sinister and menacing. Even though I think it’s a catchy villain theme it’s also very bombastic and noisy throughout most of the tracks it appears in. I feel like Giacchino was trying very hard to make Vulture more intimidating than he needed to be. And that he was also trying compete with the sound effects sometimes. Especially with all the banging of drums. Again it’s another theme that could use more nuance. Aside from “The World Is Changing” (Toomes’ intro and origin into how he turned to a life of crime during the prologue) and “Pop Vulture” (Peter and Toomes tense conversation in the car outside the homecoming dance) the theme doesn’t have enough depth to it. There’s a more earnest and pleasant variation of the Vulture theme during the beginning of “The World Is Changing”. It was a nice transition to a hard working class man trying to provide for his family to a weapons dealer/criminal/thief trying to provide for his family. The Vulture theme during “Pop Vulture” was very eerie and creepy, which gave me Green Goblin vibe musically. Obviously in context of the scene it was suppose to be unsettling. Aside from those two tracks I wish Giacchino could’ve been a little more inventive with the Vulture theme. I honestly don’t think it depicts the Vulture character the way previous Spidey villain themes did in the previous films e.g. Zimmer’s Electro theme, Elfman’s Doc Ock theme, etc. This theme could’ve be interchangeable with any generic villain in a comic book movie or movie in general. Musically I don’t get the feel of the character, who’s able to soar and fly. Maybe the use of screeching violins could’ve help emulate the sound of a vulture. It’s not a bad theme but I just wish more thought was put into it because it becomes repetitive and louder by the climax of the album.

Liz Allen’s theme, which is very similar to Giacchino’s love theme from Super 8, is very sentimental. I think it nicely conveys how Peter feels about her. As well as his attraction to her. Unfortunately Liz’s theme is very underdeveloped. It appears near the end of “No Vault Of My Own “(moment where Spidey has a brief conversation (after many others) about Liz with Karen (his suit’s AI) while trapped in some warehouse for the time to pass), near the end of “Monumental Meltdown” (during the aftermath of the Monument elevator rescue sequence) and in the middle of “Spider-Man: Homecoming Suite”. The theme could’ve been omitted off the album because it doesn’t add much to it, imo. It’s a shame that both characters hardly interacted (due to Peter repeatedly bailing on her due to his responsibilities as Spider-Man) in the film because if they did it would’ve allowed Giacchino to flesh out Liz’s theme more. [BLACKOUT]Since it’s revealed by the 3rd act that Toomes was Liz’s father. Liz’s theme could’ve been a more tender and sentimental variation of the Vulture’s theme. If they had took that approach it would’ve been clever foreshadowing. [/BLACKOUT]Oh well.

Iron Man/Tony Stark is given a new theme/motif. It can be heard at the end of “An Old Van Rundown” (after Iron Man saves Spidey from drowning in some lake), “Ferry Dust Up” (when Iron Man stops the ferry from splitting in half with ease) and “A Stark Contrast” (when Stark decides to recruit Peter as an official member of The Avengers). Though the theme is heroic and simple. It’s too noble, inspiring, and optimistic for both Iron Man and Tony Stark, imo. While also lacking that edge and wit Brian Tyler’s theme gave the character in Iron Man 3, imo. Speaking of Tyler I know they didn’t want to use his theme because they parted ways with him and his themes (as they’ve done with previous composers and their themes) after he breached his contract with Marvel to score Furious 7. However, they should’ve allowed Giacchino to adapt Tyler’s theme anyway. Not only for musical continuity but because Tyler’s theme is more fleshed out and have been featured in two MCU movies (Iron Man 3 and Avengers: Age Of Ultron) prior. Why introduce a new Iron Man theme in a Spider-Man solo movie anyway? Giacchino’s Iron Man theme just comes out of nowhere and only appears briefly during three moments in the score/film without any development. I doubt most listeners will catch it. Then I realize this theme doesn’t really depict Iron Man/Tony Stark. It actually represents how Peter feels about Iron Man/Tony. He looks up to Tony as a role model/idol/mentor/father figure in this movie. Tony’s the kind of hero he aspires to be and attempts to live up to. That would explain why the theme is too positive, encouraging , motivational, and optimistic for Iron Man. This particular theme could also be seen as an inspirational theme for Peter.

At least they let Giacchino adapt Alan Silvestri’s main Avengers theme, which appears twice in the score. It opens “The World Is Changing”, which also means it opens the film. It appears as Toomes is looking at a drawing of The Avengers. The Avengers theme also appears in “A Stark Contrast”, where during the finale Peter meets with Tony about the Avengers gig while at the Avengers’ new (?) headquarters. I thought it was very effectively used in the score.

Giacchino came up with a danger motif used during the monument sequence (“Monumental Meltdown”) as Spidey races to save Ned and his school’s academic league before the “glowy thing” in Ned’s pocket explodes. Giacchino’s danger motif really heightens up the tension and suspense as a chain reaction from the “glowy thing” begins to lit up and explode. And as Spidey overcomes his fear of heights and attempts to get every passenger off the elevator before it crashes. Giacchino‘s Spidey theme was very effective in this sequence, imo. I thought it really shined in this moment. “Monumental Meltdown” is easily the highlight of the album. I remember the scene and music leaving a strong impression on me as well.

Listeners might have issues with some of the actions cues . A lot of ‘em are very bombastic and noisy even. Giacchino does a lot of mickey mousing during most of the action sequences as well. The action music will probably end up more rewarding in context alongside the movie instead of away from it. Again it was like he was competing with the sound effects on who’s loudest.

Highlights of the score “Theme From Spider-Man (Original Television Series)”, “The World Is Changing“ “Academic Decommitment”, “On A Ned-To-Know-Basis”, “No Vault Of His Own”, “Monumental Meltdown”, “A Boatload Of Trouble Part 1”, “A Boatload Of Trouble Part 2”, “Ferry Dust Up”, “Stark Raving Mad” (very mellow and bittersweet cue that conveys Peter’s somewhat bland normal life after Stark took the suit from him), “Pop Vulture, ”Lift Off”, “Fly By Night Operation”, “Vulture Clash”, “A Stark Contrast”, and “Spider-Man: Homecoming”.

“Spider-Man: Homecoming Suite” featured two easter eggs at the end. The first easter egg was a very short song (at least under a minute long) I can’t recall where it took place in the film or why it was even added on the album. The 2nd easter egg was a couple of seconds of a band rehearsal. Both tracks began and ended abruptly while also feeling very out of place. And also came off more as outtakes than easter eggs. Don’t understand the reason both were included. If they wanted to put any easter eggs on the album they could’ve been more creative. For example, included bonus tracks from the score that weren’t listed or included on the album as an easter egg. Or included the rehearsals and outtakes of the orchestra performing the 60s Spider-Man theme.

Overall I enjoyed Giacchino’s Spiderman: Homecoming score. It’s well paced for a nearly 70 minute album. Even though I would’ve preferred the original 60s theme to be utilized more in the score than just the opening Marvel Studios logo. Giacchino’s Spider-Man theme is still very catchy and fits the character’s witty personality. Vulture’s theme is very menacing, bombastic, and catchy also, but like Giacchino’s Spider-Man theme it lacks nuance. The rest of the new themes introduced (Liz Allen’s theme and Tony Stark/Iron Man’s theme) are serviceable but underdeveloped. Some of the action cues are very mickey mousey, bombastic and noisy, which may turn off some listeners. Therefore the action cues may seem more effective alongside the film than outside of it. Despite some complaints I think this is a fun and at times exciting score. I also feel that Spider-Man: Homecoming still manages to hold it’s own to previous Spider-Man scores, which have mostly been great, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"