Rogue One Michael Giacchino to score 'Rogue One'

mclay18

Avenger
Reaction score
Last edited:
I'm excited as well.

You know what piece of music will probably come back?

The Imperial goddamn March.

Indeed. Loved The King's Speech and Argo scores.

I just figured that Williams would do this to sucks he is not.

Indeed. Loved The King's Speech and Argo scores.

I think what convinced me that Desplat could do action was Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and Godzilla. The action was simply ferocious and fun.

Seems there might be some complications on this front:

http://**************.net/2016/04/i...ng-the-music-for-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

Seems there might be some complications on this front:

http://**************.net/2016/04/i...ng-the-music-for-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

4tbzWZb.jpg

[YT]idoYCVLh2qI[/YT]

Last edited:
Edits from the trailer these are neat-

[YT]0y-aL7YY4ig[/YT]

[YT]YMU1qildeRc[/YT]

[YT]pjdvSCD0GR8[/YT]

Last edited:
The Hollywood Reporter - 'Star Wars: Rogue One' Replaces Its Composer (Exclusive)

Michael Giacchino, the composer behind such movies as the Star Trek reboot and Pixar movies ranging from The Incredibles to Inside Out, will score the upcoming movie, stepping in for Alexandre Desplat, who was originally slated to work on the movie.

The recent reshoots are behind the switch, according to sources.

Rogue One went under extensive reshoots this summer that saw writer Tony Gilroy take on a filmmaker role during the shoot and the post-production process as Disney and Lucasfilm sought to clarify story and tonal issues for the movie that opens Dec. 16.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rogue-one-replaces-929387

Very devastated by this news.

Giacchino is a competent composer and he did well with Jurassic World (using Williams' iconic themes), but Desplat is on a whole different level.

There's definitely some behind-the-scenes drama going on. Disney doesn't usually replace composers three months before a movie comes out.

If u think this wasn't planned if Desplat decided to drop out read this: http://**************.net/2016/09/michael-giacchino-to-compose-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/.

Also, this story lines up with what EW said that scoring would begin in September. BTW, they never officially said Desplat would score the movie even if he said he would.

Very devastated by this news.

Giacchino is a competent composer and he did well with Jurassic World (using Williams' iconic themes), but Desplat is on a whole different level.

There's definitely some behind-the-scenes drama going on. Disney doesn't usually replace composers three months before a movie comes out.

Seriusly using just one of his scores as an example of his work is just disregarding Michaels' amazing work. The man is an academy award winning composer not just some slob that got the job. He has done tons of amazing scores. JW was one of his few meh scores. But let's not try to just undersell him.

There is not really any drama going on with this aspect, MSW reports that Desplat was not thinking he could do it a few months back and Jason had heard that they were circling Michael in case he could not do it. Which seems to have been the case.

http://**************.net/2016/09/michael-giacchino-to-compose-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

Actually, to me it is encouraging that they were preparing months ago for this eventuality.

Yeah according to Jason this was the back-up plan in case they could not get Desplat scheduled.

Seriusly using just one of his scores as an example of his work is just disregarding Michaels' amazing work. The man is an academy award winning composer not just some slob that got the job. He has done tons of amazing scores. JW was one of his few meh scores. But let's not try to just undersell him.

So is Desplat.

I'm hearing conflicting things about Desplat's former involvement with Rogue One. One of his usual orchestrators (who also works with Williams), Conrad Pope, hints that he has seen a cut of the film while other people say Desplat hadn't seen the film yet. Or that the reshoots delayed the time Desplat would usually use to spot the film, but it doesn't make sense. That composer has been known to dive into writing and recording scores in the space of 3-4 weeks -- he notably finished recording The Danish Girl days before its premiere.

I really like Giacchino and I own a few of his scores -- the guy is talented and he's a reliable name. I just feel bad for Gareth Edwards... first the studio commissions reshoots without his involvement, and then his usual collaborator is somehow unable to score the film.

Wasn't trailer music (the new arrangement of SW theme) by Desplat?

So is Desplat.

I'm hearing conflicting things about Desplat's former involvement with Rogue One. One of his usual orchestrators (who also works with Williams), Conrad Pope, hints that he has seen a cut of the film while other people say Desplat hadn't seen the film yet. Or that the reshoots delayed the time Desplat would usually use to spot the film, but it doesn't make sense. That composer has been known to dive into writing and recording scores in the space of 3-4 weeks -- he notably finished recording The Danish Girl days before its premiere.

I really like Giacchino and I own a few of his scores -- the guy is talented and he's a reliable name. I just feel bad for Gareth Edwards... first the studio commissions reshoots without his involvement, and then his usual collaborator is somehow unable to score the film.

The reshoots DID delay the score. That is a fact. Entertainment Weekly gave the rundown back in July. Including the fact that it was 5 weeks of reshoots ending in mid July, with editing in August and scoring in September. It was not a rumor it was a fact of the new timeline. No one is denying even LFL that the reshoots pushed the schedule further back.

Also Desplat has worked on terrible films before (See Twilight) I don't think him leaving has anything to do with "seeing a cut". I think it's pretty clear and MSW is pretty solid, but that its having to do with the scheduling. Even the main sources of this indicated this.

Last edited:
I was looking forward to Desplat's score, Now I'm looking foward to Giacchino's score.

Also Desplat has worked on terrible films before (See Twilight) I don't think him leaving has anything to do with "seeing a cut". I think it's pretty clear and MSW is pretty solid, but that its having to do with the scheduling. Even the main sources of this indicated this.

Desplat scored New Moon because he had worked with Chris Weitz on The Golden Compass. He tends to be the first choice whenever the directors he's worked with ask him to work on their next project.

I feel Desplat being replaced is a political move from Disney and Lucasfilm than scheduling conflicts. The official reasons feel rather flimsy.

Desplat scored New Moon because he had worked with Chris Weitz on The Golden Compass. He tends to be the first choice whenever the directors he's worked with ask him to work on their next project.

I feel Desplat being replaced is a political move from Disney and Lucasfilm than scheduling conflicts. The official reasons feel rather flimsy.

Well you can feel it. But MSW has a long standing record of actual inside information and is rarely wrong.

I think you're looking into something that's not there and again they did not just replace him with some dolt for hire but one of the most likely to take over for John Williams .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"