Michael Giacchino to score 'Rogue One'

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by mclay18, Jan 17, 2016.

1. LucDisfilm19

LucDisfilm19 Registered

Respectfully disagree with you that it was PR bull. Maybe it was scheduling since Desplat had to do Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets and the schedule of the reshoots wouldn't give him enough time to do the score. And, it was maybe also because Desplat's original score wouldn't have been giving emotional development or emotion being pulled by regular viewers for the characters, according to Anthony Breznican of EW on Steele Wars Podcast, so maybe they hired Giacchino to give emotion in the music. Say what you will, but, when u want music that gives emotion, you gotta cut your old composer loose and let him go and give the movie a new one.

2. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

This probably had the worst score of any Star Wars film. I got strong Don Davis JP3 vibes with how the Williams themes were used.

3. fancyarcher

fancyarcher Registered

I think all of the SW scores to date are at least "great", so even if I did consider Rogue One to be the worse, I'd probably still think it was very good.

4. Ene

Ene Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

That sounds very unlikely. Desplat is one of the best film composers out there, especially for emotional themes. His score for Deathly Hallows Part II is so beautiful it's almost painful. I don't think any of Giacchino's scoring here resonated emotionally to me, the movie sure did, but the score was just a backdrop.

5. Marvolo

Marvolo Registered

Howard Shore is also one of the best composers out there and Jackson still fired him from King Kong becauae the music he was writing wasnt what Jackson wanted for the film. It happens regardless of the skill of the composer.

6. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Now I am curious, has John Williams ever been fired?

7. Marvolo

Marvolo Registered

Not that I know of. William's has a very distinct and constant style. Pretty much every director knows what he will deliver so I doubt anyone hires him unless theyve already decided that a John William's score is exactly what they want. Itd be like buying a Mac and then getting upset that it doesnt come with Windows 10.

8. fancyarcher

fancyarcher Registered

No, but he has passed on some films in the past. He's not the only one though. JNH has never had a score rejected, and discounting parts of Spider-Man 2, neither has Elfman.

Williams has been picky about which films he works on, and unlike a lot of other composers, Williams is willing to work within the confines of the film, so his scores are not easily considered worthy of tossing-out.

9. DarthSkywalker

That mac analogy is perfect really. :funny:

:up:

10. MurkeNyou

MurkeNyou Registered

I have to admit, the music was pretty bland. They should have got the guy from Rebels if they couldn't get Williams.

11. Warhammer

Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

The score was forgettable. The only thing that was notable was the actual Rogue One motif. But I can't remember how it sounded now that I'm back home. But to be honest, I thought The Force Awakens had a forgettable score as well.

12. Elayis

Elayis Registered

A forgettable score, as I feared. What surprised me, though, is how boring and unimaginative it is. Even though he wasn't my ideal choice, I still figured Giacchino would deliver a solid score. But not only is there no memorable new themes or cues, but the way he uses Williams' themes is puzzling and mildly irritating. He only uses brief hints, never allowing the cue to breathe and really take off. It's jarring and doesn't make for a pleasant listening experience.

13. -VisionsVision-

-VisionsVision- The Mandalorian

The score was totally underwhelming.

14. P Supreme

P Supreme Registered

very disappointed it was lifeless easily the worst of all the cinematic movies

15. OutOfBoose

OutOfBoose Russian Hacker

Dunno, I liked the score. Especially darker stuff. Really built up tension.

16. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

It was pretty ok.

17. CaptainWagner

CaptainWagner Not Today

I'll be honest, I don't really pay attention much to scores, but I thought this was fine. I don't really get the hate it's receiving from a lot of people online...

18. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

It’s not as memorable as any of the John Williams’ scores...but the “Your Father Would Be Proud” track is heartbreaking.

19. The Chris

The Chris TDK Trilogy Forever!

I completely disagree with these score opinions. Especially for such a last minute score. It bursts with massive energy and adventure, got me completely engaged with the film from the start and felt like pure Star Wars while also feeling pure Giacchino.

20. Marvolo

Marvolo Registered

I loved the score. More than TFA's score. The Imperial Suite is my new favorite piece of music in the franchise. I'm pretty sure I like it even more than the Imperial March. The Guardians of the Whills Suite is great too. Star Dust and Your Father would be Proud really tug on the heartstrings.

I hope they bring Giacchino back for another star wars film.

#70 Marvolo, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  21. DarthSkywalker

22. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

This score was god awful

23. Marvolo

Marvolo Registered

24. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

The score was one of the weaker parts of the film for me. It had its moments (the Jedha stuff was really cool) but for the most part it was kind of uninspired and often felt incongruous with the tone of the film. The movie felt overscored at times. I'm a big fan of Giacchino but this was not one of his best efforts, which I can understand considering how little time he had to work on it. Now I really wish Desplat had stayed. I think that score would've worked better with this film. I actually would've preferred something more subdued, less "Williams-lite".

25. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Agreed. I'm actually not the biggest Giacchino fan (although I did think he did a good job with the Jurassic World score), and this movie just kind of reinforced that feeling for me. It really did feel like a poor man's Williams a lot of the time.

It didn't ruin the movie for me or anything, but it just felt like a constant reminder of how immeasurable Williams' contribution to the saga has been.