Michael Giacchino to score 'Rogue One'

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by mclay18, Jan 17, 2016.

1. LucDisfilm19 Registered

Agree I do that MSW is rarely wrong.

2. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

I'm really excited about this news. I've liked a few of Desplat's scores but Giacchino is on a whole other level for me. His scores have more of a John Williams feel to them anyway. He probably would have scored The Force Awakens had Williams decided not to come back. He was going to score a Star Wars film eventually, so might as well start now. I'm completely on board with this decision. :up:

3. Guts Smug

Loved his Star Trek theme. Can't wait to hear what he has for Rogue One.
    [YT]2lTHUxBDOtc[/YT]

4. mclay18 Registered

5. darthcoolness3 Registered

This score will be amazing, since he also did the soundtrack for Marvel's Doctor Strange

6. Gabe99 Registered

Rogue One composer Michael Giacchino describes music of the Star Wars standalone
    'Bravado is a dangerous thing.

7. Ene Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

I was so excited to hear what Desplat was going to do for Star Wars, but this is fine also. I haven't really cared for Giacchino's latest work personally.

8. Dragon_316ca Registered

9. Broseph44 Witness Me

Love the sound of it. Especially the second one.

10. Marvolo Registered

It'd be something if the score for Rogue One ends up being better than William's score for TFA.

11. PWN3R Instagram:@Mannie_Bothans

I'm so pumped for Giaachino and Star Wars melding together. That preview video makes me think it will work. It's a match made in heaven. My hope is that Williams has some sort of genetic lottery deal and lives forever, but I can totally see Giaachino taking over in the future.

12. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I like what I hear.

13. fancyarcher Registered

I really like what I'm hearing, and based off what I've heard from people I trust Giacchino's score is epic and really, really good, so I'm optimistic he's delivered.

#38 fancyarcher, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  14. Solidus Knights of Ren

Yeah I really think he should take over when Williams steps down.

15. TheVileOne Registered

Giacchino delivered a very good score here. It's a lot better than his work for Doctor Strange, which was a big letdown for me IMHO.

16. Kaleb 2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion

Glad to hear that (also felt the same about Dr Strange), do you know if the score they played with the Chinese trailer is in the film?

[YT]A-TpMXQojRA[/YT]

17. TheVileOne Registered

No that's all trailer muzak.

18. Kaleb 2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion

ah ok :( I heard it again while watching the live feed of the premier, and was kinda hoping it was in the film .

19. Elayis Registered

Different strokes, I guess, but I don't see how it could when in the same year TFA still beat Giacchino's best scores to date (Jupiter Ascending & Tomorrowland).

IMO, Giacchino's at his best when he does his own thing and isn't trying to ape Williams, which is why I was so disappointed when he replaced Desplat. Finally, we were going to get a different sound in a Star Wars picture, but for whatever reason Kennedy & Disney wanted to go a different direction (the scheduling conflict is just PR bull) and instead we get Williams-lite.

Still looking forward to it, but not as excited as I was when Desplat was still onboard.

Hopefully Williams will be able (and willing) to finish the trilogy. He's already working in 8, so we'll see what happens. If he's unable to do it, I'd really be curious to see what Nathan Johnson would do. I really loved his Looper score, and an out-of-the-box choice like him would be something to see. I really liked the modern take on Williams classic themes in the last TFA trailer. I think taking the franchise in a slightly more electronic realm (like Goldsmith or Tron: Legacy) could be interesting.

20. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Williams' TFA work is severely underrated. Anyone who's into film music needs to check out the Star Wars Oxygen podcast from Rebel Force Radio. They really take a deep dive into the scores from all 7 movies and there are so many layers of brilliance there, including TFA. So many subtle things and connections you definitely haven't noticed before.

I will admit that the score may not be as satisfying as a standalone listen apart from the movie, but imo that has more to do with JJ's more modern directorial and editing style. The other films were carried by music to a greater extent than TFA was imo, which is part of their magic. That said, when Williams is given the floor in TFA he still crushes it. The Jedi Steps is sublime.

21. The Chris TDK Trilogy Forever!

I actually loved the fact that the score in Force Awakens the way it does in the prequels. I felt like it had to dominate in a way in those because of everything else being so lackluster where as here he can go quieter at times, like Rey's theme. But man he can still go for it like the resistance themes and like you said Bat the Jedi steps. Plus he still knows how to use his old themes to perfection.

22. Ene Beef Jerky in a Ball Gown

The score was completely forgettable. Desplat was a huge loss, this was just sub-par Williams, as often it is with Giacchino. Very disappointed.

23. Octoberist point blank

I know that he's wearing himself thin and has his critics, but to be fair..he was only given four weeks to score this thing.

24. Dark_Lord Dark Lord of the Sith

The score, most of the time, didn't feel like Star Wars to me. Whenever it did, it was mostly because of the use of the John Williams score. He's done some great stuff though, so I'd like to see what he could do with another Star Wars movie. One he'd be on board with from the beginning.

25. LucDisfilm19 Registered

I've decided not to listen to any of his score until I see the movie, so, I'll judge for my self when i see it in 22 hours and 8 minutes.