Michael Mann's Heat 2

Still want Oscar Isaac as a young Hanna!

I’ve seen things about Pacino being back as well, but that really makes no sense.

THEACTIONISTHEJUICE.gif

giphy.gif

It’s a sequel (Al Pacino and crew) and prequel (DeNiro’s character and crew).
Yeah, but the sequel part is only supposed to be a few years after the first film, isn’t it?

I haven’t read the book, but if the deaging is better than The Irishman, then I’m okay with Pacino coming back.

They could also push out the sequel aspects... couldn't be too hard to adapt to the 30 year difference.

What a cast! Can someone give me a rundown of Heat 2s plot? I haven't read the book.

Some pretty uninspired casting so far, honestly. I like Butler though.

Butler is too dead-on as a Kilmer replacement to pass up.

I'm kinda hoping this is entirely a prequel tbh.

I wanted to ask about Heat 2, the novel you published last year that serves as both a prequel and a sequel to Heat. You’ve stated that you do want to turn it into a film. Was that always the intention with that story?
It wasn’t the intention, but you can’t separate the two. I don’t know how to write novels. I do know how to write and imagine screenplays, and I wanted the novel to have a cinematic pace and a story-driven structure to it. I knew everything about every one of those characters. I had imagined all of it. I keep very thorough archives. What became exciting was to have them not be the people they are in Heat, but to put them through the experiences that turned them into the people that they are in Heat.

What about the awesome specter of the cast of Heat — De Niro, Pacino, Val Kilmer? Do you go in a completely different direction, or do you get actors who can do something similar?
Well, you wouldn’t want to do the same thing. Look, this is a crapshoot. You want to reinvent these characters. There are certain qualifications. You have to be a great ****ing actor to play McCauley. I think Adam Driver is a great actor, like De Niro. Then who’s Hanna, who’s Chris Shiherlis? Who can take it someplace fresh? This is not like the dilemma I had with the film of Miami Vice.Mann’s 2006 film had a very different aesthetic and soundtrack than the TV show, which disappointed some viewers. In retrospect, you could not win that one. If I had to do it over again, I would’ve tried to command the same budget and not call it Miami Vice.

With that quote, I hope he actually makes the film feel like his 90s work. His aesthetic and approach to storytelling shifted entirely post-Collateral.

And I really hope he shoots the prequel on film.

I'd always pictured Pattison in the young McCauley role. Driver is harder for me to imagine, but he's a great actor so I'm sure he can nail it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"