Michael Mann Thriller Starring Hemsworth

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
Michael Mann, Chris Hemsworth team for thriller
It's been nearly four years since Michael Mann last directed a film, but the wait for his next project may be over: The "Public Enemies" director has attached himself to helm an untitled thriller for Legendary Pictures with Chris Hemsworth attached to star.Mann had been developing the project for over a year, co-writing the script with Morgan Davis Foehl, who is also penning "Mass Effect" for Legendary. Plot details are unknown, other than that the film takes place in a world of cyber threats and attacks.
Thomas Tull, Mann and Jon Jashni will produce with Alex Garcia exec producing.
The CAA-repped Mann had most recently produced "Witness" and was the exec producer on HBO's "Luck" but has not helmed a film since Universal's "Public Enemies" in 2009.
Mann has since been linked to a handful of films, including "Gold," which had Christian Bale circling; and the racing pic "Go Like Hell" for Fox. None ever came to fruition.
Though Mann has shown range in other genres like "The Insider" and "Ali," he has made a name for himself tackling films set in a world of cops and criminals like "Heat" and "Collateral." New project would seem to fit that mold.
With "Robopocalypse" being delayed and things moving slowly on the sequel to "Snow White and the Huntsman," Hemsworth had been figuring out what to do next. He's attached to the Warner Bros. adventure "In the Heart of the Sea," which Ron Howard is circling.
WB very much wants to make "In the Heart of the Sea" but doesn't think it would be able to get production started until fall. Plan is to shoot the Mann pic in June before that and then jump into "In the Heart of the Sea" after.
The CAA and ROAR-repped Hemsworth can be seen next in "Rush," directed by Howard, which opens Sept. 20 followed by Marvel's "Thor: The Dark World" which bows Nov. 8.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118066230/

Howard, Mann, Spielberg

Hemsworth's on a roll.

You can always tell the actors who Hollywood really expects something out of by the directors they are working with. Hemsworth is the real deal even if that Robot movie doesn't get off the ground.

As long as he doesn't become another Worthington. He seems pretty good natured and self aware in interviews. Not ridiculously serious.

What's hilarious is listening to the Star Trek 09 commentary with Abrams struggling to remember his name during the George Kirk scenes and then kind of giving up because it was just a small role anyways.

I will watch anything Mann puts out. I even watch things he merely produces like his daughter's movie, Texas Killing Fields (the cinematography in which seemed like signature Mann to me, so, like father like daughter, I guess). I've been slowly rewatching his films, although I'm a bit hampered by what I have access to. Neftlix has Thief, though, which is even better than Heat, if you ask me.

If any of you has Netflix instant and hasn't seen Thief, you are missing out. I have seen it several times over the years and it never gets old.

Last of the Mohicans is also on Netflix. Not sure if Heat is since I have that on DVD. Got to rewatch Collateral on HBO or something recently. Got to see Ali as well. Waiting for a replay of Miami Vice at some point. Need to borrow Public Enemies off of my friend again. Then I think I will have rewatched most of them that I actually want to rewatch.

I even watch things he merely produces like his daughter's movie, Texas Killing Fields (the cinematography in which seemed like signature Mann to me, so, like father like daughter, I guess).
Except Father has a grasp of this little thing called "story." Texas Killing Fields was a mess, imo. Daughter may be able to somewhat imitate her father's visual style, but she seems to have inherited none of his talent as a storyteller.

Anyway, it's nice to see Hemsworth branching out to the non-action hero arena with projects like this and Rush. As of right now, I have a hard time even imagining him in a Michael Mann movie, which is what makes this prospect exciting to me.

As long as he doesn't become another Worthington. He seems pretty good natured and self aware in interviews. Not ridiculously serious.
He's already shown that he isn't a talentless actor like Worthington. For one thing he actually has great screen presence which Worthington has never displayed.
Not saying he is Lawrence Oliver or anything but he is better than Worthington and Taylor Kitsch for that matter.

Hemsworth is totally the opposite of Worthington. Actually, reading his comments about Alan Taylor and Thor 2, I wouldn't be surprised if Hemsworth really pushed for a more 'Game of Thrones' approach with the sequel. It sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders, and yes, he destroys Taylor Kitsch.

In fact, Taylor Kitsch and Brandon Routh should do a sitcom together, with Hayden Christensen as their lonely neighbor.

What's hilarious is listening to the Star Trek 09 commentary with Abrams struggling to remember his name during the George Kirk scenes and then kind of giving up because it was just a small role anyways.

I just listen to it recently. What a time capsule.

I thought this might be that Candy Shop project Hemsworth is attached to. I like Mann and hope he can get back to his best after the disappointing Public Enemies.

I like Hemsworth, but I don't have faith in Mann anymore. Still, for old times sake, I'll probably to check it out.

I guess I'm the only person who liked Public Enemies. It wasn't a classic , but I still thought it was good.

Hemsworth is totally the opposite of Worthington. Actually, reading his comments about Alan Taylor and Thor 2, I wouldn't be surprised if Hemsworth really pushed for a more 'Game of Thrones' approach with the sequel. It sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders, and yes, he destroys Taylor Kitsch.

In fact, Taylor Kitsch and Brandon Routh should do a sitcom together, with Hayden Christensen as their lonely neighbor.
true true :wow:

Hopefully the camerawork will be better.
Mann is going for a real look with his latest movies . Having watched the Hobbit , i think a higher framerate might definately improve the cinematography greatly.
And also hopefully they flesh out the story more. IT's one of the reasons why i have problems with Miami Vice.

A post-Collateral Michael Mann shooting in 48fps? I hope I die before I see it.

:oldrazz:with paul walker as hayden's older brother

Oh hey look... a good idea with a good actor attached directed by Michael Mann. Let's hope Mann doesn't make it boring this time.

5 years since a Mann movie !!! It will look gorgeous that's for sure.

Hopefully the camerawork will be better.
Mann is going for a real look with his latest movies . Having watched the Hobbit , i think a higher framerate might definately improve the cinematography greatly.
And also hopefully they flesh out the story more. IT's one of the reasons why i have problems with Miami Vice.

The camerawork will be better ? You're actually saying this about a Michael Mann movie ?

There's definitely no limits to what i can read in the internet and be in complete awe :woot:

I hated Vice and thought that Enemies was terribly mediocre so I'm not expecting a good film but I do expect the Hemsworth role to be meater than the Avengers. It will be nice to see him do something that isn't. a huge special effects a-thon.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/michael-mann-shoot-new-cyber-434914

Michael Mann to Shoot New Cyber-Thriller in Hong Kong (Report)

The director arrives in the city to scout for locations and audition local stars for roles in his upcoming Chris Hemsworth-starring film, according to reports.

HONG KONG -- Michael Mann will set parts of his upcoming hacker thriller in Hong Kong and cast a pair of Chinese actors to play two prominent roles.

Produced by Legendary Pictures – which has already had experience of a Hong Kong location shoot with The Dark Knight – Mann’s as-yet-untitled project will feature scenes in the city revolving around a pair of Chinese hackers, according to the Chinese-language Apple Daily.

The report said Mann and his entourage arrived in Hong Kong on Friday and spent Sunday night walking around Jordan, a bustling area in the center of the city, to scout for locations.

The visit reportedly took place after a series of meetings the director had with local stars during the afternoon, as A-listers such as Tang Wei (a Bafta nominee for Ang Lee’s Lust, Caution and star of current Chinese chart-topper Finding Mr. Right), Nick Cheung Ka-fai (The Stool Pigeon, The Viral Factor) and Shawn Yue Man-lok (who starred opposite Josh Hartnett in Tran Anh Hung’s Hong Kong-set I Come With the Rain) were spotted visiting the hotel Mann was staying in.

Chris Hemsworth signed up for Mann’s film in February, and it is understood that producers have been searching for appropriate locations for the Hong Kong-set scenes since then.

Legendary’s Hong Kong shoot for The Dark Knight – which involved scenes of a carrier plane flying low over the city, and also a sequence set in and around the central business district – was facilitated by local shingle October Pictures, which also contributed to the Hong Kong shoots of Contagion, Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

When contacted by The Hollywood Reporter on Tuesday, the company declined to offer details or comment on its role in Mann’s project.

It remains to be seen how Mann’s cyber-warfare feature will play out at a time when Beijing and Washington are regularly attacking each other for masterminding organized hacking into computer systems.

While some Hollywood productions have offered narratives with positive depictions of China and Chinese culture – the savior for Iron Man 3’s Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), for example, is the Chinese scientist-doctor Dr. Wu, played by veteran actor Wang Xueqi – there are others that paid no heed toward the country’s notoriously sensitive censors.

Contagion, for example, is based on the premise of an epidemic with roots in Macao and Hong Kong. Meanwhile, The Dark Knight was also met with mild criticism here for depicting the city where outlaws – in the shape of a mob accountant, played by Singaporean actor Chin Han – could flee to and live freely.

It was reported last week that World War Z will be released in China in a version devoid of dialogue referring to the country as the source of a virus that eventually led to a zombie outbreak. The film stars Brad Pitt, who has remained persona non grata for his role in Seven Years in Tibet, which the authorities deemed as offering an unflattering depiction of Chinese military officials taking over the southwestern region in 1950.

Mann's digital aesthetic + Hong Kong? YES PLEASE. Wonder who his DP is this time.

I'm really liking the sound of this and I don't mind admitting I hope it has a classic Mann shootout in it. :D

His choice to use High Def when shooting Public Enemies was a complete and utter mistake, IMO. It damn near ruined the movie for me just on it's own. High def and a period piece set in the 1930's just doesn't mix. The high def was ok for Collateral though.

I will watch anything Mann puts out. I even watch things he merely produces like his daughter's movie, Texas Killing Fields (the cinematography in which seemed like signature Mann to me, so, like father like daughter, I guess). I've been slowly rewatching his films, although I'm a bit hampered by what I have access to. Neftlix has Thief, though, which is even better than Heat, if you ask me.

If any of you has Netflix instant and hasn't seen Thief, you are missing out. I have seen it several times over the years and it never gets old.

Last of the Mohicans is also on Netflix. Not sure if Heat is since I have that on DVD. Got to rewatch Collateral on HBO or something recently. Got to see Ali as well. Waiting for a replay of Miami Vice at some point. Need to borrow Public Enemies off of my friend again. Then I think I will have rewatched most of them that I actually want to rewatch.

You forgot his best movie! The Insider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"