Microsoft: “We’ll support Blu-ray”

DIRECTOR

Superhero
Reaction score

Amid rumors that Microsoft is in talks to add Blu-ray support to its Xbox 360 game console, CEO Steve Ballmer has indicated the company’s intention to support the remaining high-def format.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer took part in an onstage conversation at the company’s Mix08 Internet conference in Las Vegas Thursday, where the topics discussed included Microsoft’s high-def plans following the discontinuation of Toshiba’s HD DVD format. Without offering specifics, Ballmer said the company will work to support Blu-ray.

“We've already been working on, for example, in Windows, device driver support for Blu-ray drives and the like,” Ballmer stated. “I think the world moves on. Toshiba has moved on. We've moved on, and we'll support Blu-ray in ways that make sense.”

Can somebody convince me why I ought to get an X-Box over a PS3 at this moment? I'm leaning heavily towards the PS3 both because of Blu-Ray and it has virtually the same gaming as the X-Box.

Also, the PS3s exclusive titles are all terrible. And it still costs too much to get an 80 gig, which is the only version with any backwards compatibility at all now.

Also, the PS3s exclusive titles are all terrible. And it still costs too much to get an 80 gig, which is the only version with any backwards compatibility at all now.
Warhawk, Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank are far from terrible and that word definetly wont apply to MGS4

Honestly, I've got both, but I find the PS3 far surpasses the 360. As daft as this sounds, i'm not much of a gamer. There's certain games i'll pick up for the systems but i'm not someone who buys alot of games. Saying that, when I got my PS3, I got the same amount of games in a month, that I did in about an 8 month period having a 360.

Oh and the player is built in. You don't need an extra unit to view Blu-Ray. Oh and COD4. ONLINE. FOR FREE!

Ive got ps3 and 360 too. My ps3 i mostly use for ps2 games. 360 >>> PS3 so far.

Mass Effect? Badddddddd.

It's kinda fun the first time through, but after that it gets tidious and boring. Fast.

Honestly, I've got both, but I find the PS3 far surpasses the 360. As daft as this sounds, i'm not much of a gamer. There's certain games i'll pick up for the systems but i'm not someone who buys alot of games. Saying that, when I got my PS3, I got the same amount of games in a month, that I did in about an 8 month period having a 360.

Oh and the player is built in. You don't need an extra unit to view Blu-Ray. Oh and COD4. ONLINE. FOR FREE!

It all basically comes down to the games. I got a 360 because it has more exclusive games that I'm interested in, compared to 1 on the PS3, and 0 for the Wii. The multiplat titles are a plus.

I didn't buy my 360 to watch videos, tv shows, or movies. I bought it to play games.

As for the online play of the 360, if someone cannot afford 5 dollars a month for a gold account, then how was that person able to afford the purchase of a 360, let alone a PS3?

I know. All i'm saying is I begrudge paying for something that I get on my ps3 for free. Also helps I got my ps3 free with a mobile phone contract :D

I'd like to think that Microsoft will still consider making a Blu-Ray add-on avaliable.
I've got a PS3 though anyways....And the only thing I use that as is as a Blu-Ray player. Only exclusive I've partly enjoyed is Uncharted....And that was nothing compared to the 360s number of top exclusives. Not to mention, whats the point in having free online play for PS3, when all my friends are on Xbox Live!!!???
Sony have let me down....

Can somebody convince me why I ought to get an X-Box over a PS3 at this moment? I'm leaning heavily towards the PS3 both because of Blu-Ray and it has virtually the same gaming as the X-Box.

Bioshock, Dead Rising, GTA4 exlusive Downloads, Gears of War, those are the first four reasons I could think of. Then again, I bought my video game system to play games, not to watch movies. Since you're posting this question in this thread, you're probably not interested to much in games. In that case, yeah PS3 is the cheapest Blu-Ray player you'll find.

Is it possible to get live on a month by month basis? The only thing that puts me off the idea is that I'd have to pay for 12 months.

Is it possible to get live on a month by month basis? The only thing that puts me off the idea is that I'd have to pay for 12 months.

They've got a one month ($8), three month ($20) and 13 month card ($50). The three month and 13 month card each have additional packages that include the headset and camera, which you can get, but increase the cost.

*Prepares to sell Die Hard & Spider-Man DVDs*
Hopefully we'll get a Blu-ray drive soon.

It's so much more expensive to go month by month. You're looking at $8/month that route, but if you spring for the year it works out to $3.85/month.

Bioshock and Mass Effect are some of the best gaming experiences I've had. Like ever.

anybody heard any news about Microsoft developing an external Bluray player for the XBOX? I'm hearing conflicting reports

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"