Good news for us Batfans who have Blu-Ray......

Reaction score
Warner Goes Blu-ray
Studio lends official support to Sony's format!
by IGN DVD

January 4, 2008 - After nearly a year of intense speculation, Warner Bros. this afternoon officially announced their complete support for the Blu-ray format.

"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger," stated Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO of Warner Bros. "We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

The company will continue to release its titles in both standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008. Following that date, it is believed that all high-def titles will be released in Blu-ray format exclusively.

"Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices," said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. "Today's decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner."

With Paramount, DreamWorks and Universal still firmly in the HD DVD camp, this announcement doesn't yet represent a definitive deathblow, but it does hold significant ramifications for the HD DVD format. Stay tuned to IGN DVD for more information and perspective as it develops!

^I bought mine in november and haven't had one regret since.

cant wait until Batman Begins and the past 4 films are released on blu. :up: this means TDK will be Blu-ray exclusive!!!! sweet. :up:

I hope a Blu-eay Box set is made for all films.

Just thinking of watching Batman (1989) and Batman Returns in true high def makes me get goosebumps! :D They look wonderful upconverted but a good upconvert could never beat hi-def.

hopefully they will give us more features on any future release.

I still need to buy a PS3. Then I'll start my Blu-Ray and new generation game collection.

Same!!

I'm honestly not a big gamer - i only buy the batman/ other superherogames(every once in a while). I still have the PS2 and it would kill me if 'The Dark Knight' video game came out next year(edit: THIS YEAR i meant and good thing too!) and everyone was singing its praises.

A few new games and i can start a blu ray collection - yep, the PS3 definitely sounds worth it??

Just thinking of watching Batman (1989) and Batman Returns in true high def makes me get goosebumps! :D They look wonderful upconverted but a good upconvert could never beat hi-def.
It won't be the same as movies of this generation that were filmed in HIGH DEF., though.

I guess I need a PS3 ASAP. That is the best bargain for the technology, correct?

I guess I need a PS3 ASAP. That is the best bargain for the technology, correct?

Yes they are. You are getting a Blu-Ray player and a PS3 gaming console all in one. REAL bargain. I am more than pleased with mine. Don't worry about all of the overheating and failing BS either. I leave mine on damn near 24 hours a day in my entertainment center since March and I have yet to suffer any issues or game/DVD/Blu-Ray freeze.

It has a DVD upsampling feature that increases the quality of DVDs. My wife who wouldn't notice if I painted the house orange made a comment on how the PS3 made the DVD's picture quality considerably better. That's how much of a difference it makes. You will need to hook it up to the net to get the firmware downloads or use a flash drive to update the system or it won't playback anything without the latest update.

My only complaint is the web browser. It really is crap, no flash or quicktime playback. If it was able to use those plugins, I'd buy a keyboard and use the PS3 solely for my web browsing on my 42" LCD Samsung :woot:

Overall, you won't regret the purchase. They are very nice units.

awesome so i dont get to own tdk....:( to hell with blu ray

It's a format war. One side was going to lose eventually. Blu-Ray had lots of support from the computer and videogame industries, plus more studio support than HD-DVD. Either format was a risk for early adopters, but HD-DVD was a bigger risk. I myself am greatly looking forward to getting BB on Blu-Ray at long last. That was one of the titles where it burned me up that it was HD-DVD only, especially since WB (until dropping HD-DVD) was format neutral.

awesome so i dont get to own tdk....:( to hell with blu ray

Yeah man, it is still coming out on DVD. It is **** that Batman Begins was on only HD DVD and we got stuck with Superman Returns on Blu-Ray.

Ah well, The Dark Knight will look brilliant. Those scenes that were shot in iMax especially good!

Yes they are. You are getting a Blu-Ray player and a PS3 gaming console all in one. REAL bargain. I am more than pleased with mine. Don't worry about all of the overheating and failing BS either. I leave mine on damn near 24 hours a day in my entertainment center since March and I have yet to suffer any issues or game/DVD/Blu-Ray freeze.

It has a DVD upsampling feature that increases the quality of DVDs. My wife who wouldn't notice if I painted the house orange made a comment on how the PS3 made the DVD's picture quality considerably better. That's how much of a difference it makes. You will need to hook it up to the net to get the firmware downloads or use a flash drive to update the system or it won't playback anything without the latest update.

My only complaint is the web browser. It really is crap, no flash or quicktime playback. If it was able to use those plugins, I'd buy a keyboard and use the PS3 solely for my web browsing on my 42" LCD Samsung :woot:

Overall, you won't regret the purchase. They are very nice units.

Agreed on all points. I LOVE my PS3. I can't wait to watch TDK and BB on Blu-Ray. :hoboj:

Yes add me to the list of eager fans. By the way to those with a 3 add me tigerranger2

Will a Forever director's edition ever see the light of day? I certainly hope so! It was a really "fun" bats movie back in the original 4, as cheesy as it was, it's pure nostalgia! But too many of the better scenes were cut out (Two-Face's escape, Bruce falling into a cave and seeing a giant Bat, Riddler beating on a security guard with his cane after not being able to punch him out).

quick noob question i guess, whats the benefits of blu-ray? i have a PS3 but no b-rays j/w what theyre for

They're for watching movies in high definition. If you have an HDTV, you get superior image quality than with DVD.

But I doubt that the image quality for the old movies will be far superior.

It depends on how old the film is, and it depends on wether or not it's been optimised for HD. I have the Fugitive on Blu-Ray, and the picture quality is terrible (I have a lot of DVDs that look better). However Blade Runner looks perfect, even though it's 20 years old, because they restored it properly. Life of Brian (an even older film) is being released soon too, and it's supposedly been digitally restored for HD, so it'll probably have very good image as well. It all depends on wether or not the studio was willing to spring for a digitial restoration when they decided to release an old film in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"