Misconceptions of the Green Lantern

Out of curiosity, anyone here ever get into arguments with other people who claim "Green Lantern's not a hero, his ring is a hero"?

No, never. And in truth, if that were the case, then Aladdin would not be considered a hero either.

or it's like saying the Tony Stark is not a hero, the suit is the hero. stupid stuff like that.

Or saying that Luke wasn't a hero, it was the Force.

Really, the more I think about that some people think that Hal is not the hero but the ring is so absurdly stupid, that I would love to hear a good counter argument.

I was at TRU the other day (don't know if anyone has seen those vintage superfriends stuffed dolls they're selling) but a black women, had to be in her late 30's, walked right past them and said "hey, it's Green Lantern".

also, when the "First Flight" DVD came out and I picked it up at Best Buy, the girl who rang me up (also black) looked at the cover and said "oh, Green Lantern, he's my favorite in DC VS Mortal Kombat".....

so I guess you could say, African American females are definitley aware of Hale Jordan

No, never. And in truth, if that were the case, then Aladdin would not be considered a hero either.

Octoberist said:
or it's like saying the Tony Stark is not a hero, the suit is the hero. stupid stuff like that.

Or saying that Luke wasn't a hero, it was the Force.

Really, the more I think about that some people think that Hal is not the hero but the ring is so absurdly stupid, that I would love to hear a good counter argument.
A while back a good friend of mine, who I will not identify, and I were debating Justice League/JLU & DC in general, he told me he couldn't stand the Green Lantern character(s) or concept & dismissed GL "as not really being the true hero but rather his ring is the hero & that GL is basically useless without the ring" and that there are too many GLs in general in order for the concept to be unique. I kept telling him that simply isn't true, because the ring itself is not alive, it's not a living functional entity, it's basically just a gun in need of a trigger man. The ring is only as strong as the heart of the man/woman/alien wielding it. Without a mind and/or will to operate it, the ring is basically an inert chunk of space metal.

As for GL being useless without the ring, well, just how many stories have there been about the ring either running out of power or wielder being separated from the ring but he keeps going anyway without it? Saying GL is nothing without his ring is like saying Batman is nothing without his endless supply of gadgets, or Captain America being nothing without his shield, and so on & so forth.

it's just like when Tony runs out of power for his Iron Man suit. then he's "useless".

and you're right about the 'ring' being the weapon, and the user being the trigger man. Guns are not effective by themselves. you need someone to pull the trigger. errr.

It's just like how I remember reading online on how someone thought that the whole notion of a power ring is stupid. "Why isn't it a Power necklace. stupid!" I got so mad that I actually signed up to the 'message board' thingy and set that dude straight.

"What about Lord of the Rings?" I asked.

Then he shut up.

A while back a good friend of mine, who I will not identify, and I were debating Justice League/JLU & DC in general, he told me he couldn't stand the Green Lantern character(s) or concept & dismissed GL "as not really being the true hero but rather his ring is the hero & that GL is basically useless without the ring" and that there are too many GLs in general in order for the concept to be unique. I kept telling him that simply isn't true, because the ring itself is not alive, it's not a living functional entity, it's basically just a gun in need of a trigger man. The ring is only as strong as the heart of the man/woman/alien wielding it. Without a mind and/or will to operate it, the ring is basically an inert chunk of space metal.

As for GL being useless without the ring, well, just how many stories have there been about the ring either running out of power or wielder being separated from the ring but he keeps going anyway without it? Saying GL is nothing without his ring is like saying Batman is nothing without his endless supply of gadgets, or Captain America being nothing without his shield, and so on & so forth.

He must be one of those guys who claim that bowling and golf are not sports. The mere fact that a Green Lantern can overcome his fear and has the will to command the ring make him/her heroic in my book.

Ace, a sport is any physical activity engaged in for either pleasure or competition. Both bowling and darts fall into that category.

In which case poker and eating are sports.

As is streaking at sports events and sex...

You have to draw the line somewhere...

I've had to explain on multiple occasions that there is more than one Green Lantern, and that John was chosen to be on the show for diversity.

but i dont think it'll be to the point where ill informed people would protest Green Lantern because it's racist and has a white lead. well i hope not.

If Hal is deemed guilty of being white, then maybe the planet should blow up.

I intend to go to my city's premiere in a batsuit painted yellow drinking from a big yellow bottle of lemonade, informing any and all passers-by which bother to listen that "I'm the goddamn Batman"...

In which case poker and eating are sports.

As is streaking at sports events and sex...

You have to draw the line somewhere...

Well, streaking at sports events is not a sport (uless you are at the Purdue University Nude Olympics or the original Greek Olympics). It's normally a crime.

Last edited:
bowling is not a sport.

Sure it is. You have to practice at it to get good, don't you? It's on ABC and ESPN (so is poker). If it is a competition and you have to practice at it to be good then it is a sport.

enough with bowling, that's debatable but are you implying that poker is a sport too? i know we have disagreed A LOT (a lot alot a lllot) in past but poker is not a sport. that's just absurd.

Sport is an activity with the word active in it. Sitting around on your ass with sunglasses with cards is not an active thing. The most movement you get in poker is your eyes.

Sport is an activity with the word active in it. Sitting around on your ass with sunglasses with cards is not an active thing. The most movement you get in poker is your eyes.

Hey, that's just a matter of opinion. There's a lot of strategy involved in that with all the bluffing and bidding and what not.

IMO for something to be considered a sport it has to have athletes of some kind playing it.

You don't have to be an athlete or healthy in any way to bowl or play darts. ****, you could be literally knocking on deaths door and still play darts.

Well, streaking at sports events is not a sport (uless you are at the Purdue University Nude Olympics or the original Greek Olympics). It's normally a crime.

There was nothing in the definition that YOU provided us with that eliminated criminal activity from being a sport. Under your definition murder could also be a sport to a serial killer if he takes pleasure in the activity and enjoys to do it in a "hands on" physical style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"