Misconceptions of the Green Lantern

well i dont really think so on that octoberist. Since laser swords have been in a bunch of other things.

prior to Star Wars? Are you sure?

again, this is a hypothetical IF some one who wasn't familiar with Star Wars or just sci-fi in general may find the concept of a 'lightsaber' silly.

well i not sure prior to star wars, but from what i know lucas never copyrighted them. So alot of other anime and scifi things have used laser swords.

how about this: if you told some one who is totally ignorant of 'lightsabers' and sci-fi in general (that includes anime).

As a fan of Hal Jordan I think part of what makes him (to me anyways) an appealing character is how he overcomes fear, to wield what I will willingly admit is nothing more than a glowing green "Deus Ex Machina".

Especially as his story has been told (and re-told) we get to see that a lot of his more obvious personality traits are defense mechanisms to overcoming fear. IE:

• Fear of failure
  • Fear of commitment
Which leads to his cocky, brash "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" style that grates on other heroes nerves (Especially Batman, Hal just drives Bruce.... "bats" :))

To me this is what Hal Jordan has become, a study in looking behind the facade to see what lies beneath.

IMO it's how Johns could retcon the whole Parallax thing without it looking like a "total" cop out.

Hal failed to protect his hometown and this made him vulnerable to being taken over by the fear entity because in that one instant Hal Jordan knew the fear of failure and it scared the life out of him.

NefCanuck

It's kind of funny now (but frustrating a while ago) but looking back at it a lot of people who aren't traditional comic book fans have a ton of misconceptions about the Green Lantern myth. Either they mix up the lanterns or the number one question I always got was "isn't Green Lantern that black guy on the Justice League"?

... thanks Paul Dini for picking John Stewart to expose a single Lantern..

Well, maybe they shoulda went John Stewart.

my whole thing about someone complaining about Green Lantern not being black is that, most likely, they can't tell you his real name. Or realize that he's a part of something bigger (Green Lantern Corps) where there's other GL members, despite a number of episodes showcasing it.

So they don't know what they're talking about and they just represent a small group of people. no worries.

... thanks Paul Dini for picking John Stewart to expose a single Lantern..

yea no *****, John was a horrible Lantern. Would've much prefered Jordan in the series, but at least the writing and everything else was on point.

my whole thing about someone complaining about Green Lantern not being black is that, most likely, they can't tell you his real name. Or realize that he's a part of something bigger (Green Lantern Corps) where there's other GL members, despite a number of episodes showcasing it.

So they don't know what they're talking about and they just represent a small group of people. no worries.

Actually, the people that don't know what they're talking about most often represent the largest group of people.

a misconception, or maybe preconception I have of the Green Lantern is that he turns into a total wimp when Batman shows up.

I'm not worried about the misconceptions and people thinking GL is only a black guy. As long asthis thing is marketed correctly, people will go see it.

I'm not worried about the misconceptions and people thinking GL is only a black guy. As long asthis thing is marketed correctly, people will go see it.

There are three things that make a successful movie imo:

1. A great trailer.
2. A great release date.
3. Great buzz.

The Buzz for GL has been solid...save some misgivings about Blake Lively. The release date is a little weak...I still say June is the hell month. So Green Lantern at this point can go either way.

If they release a trailer that is out of this world awesome, people will go see it. If the word of mouth on it is good, it will have good legs.

Look at How to Train Your Dragon...which didn't do amazingly at first, but has had very sturdy legs based on significant word of mouth, and fantastic reviews (reviews that rival pixars best.) All in all, they just have to make a great, fun movie, and word of mouth will take care of the rest.

Which leads to his cocky, brash "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" style that grates on other heroes nerves (Especially Batman, Hal just drives Bruce.... "bats" :))
:cwink:
[YT]yHY9USNC_Fk[/YT]

As a fan of Hal Jordan I think part of what makes him (to me anyways) an appealing character is how he overcomes fear, to wield what I will willingly admit is nothing more than a glowing green "Deus Ex Machina".

Especially as his story has been told (and re-told) we get to see that a lot of his more obvious personality traits are defense mechanisms to overcoming fear. IE:

• Fear of failure
  • Fear of commitment

To me this is what Hal Jordan has become, a study in looking behind the facade to see what lies beneath.

IMO it's how Johns could retcon the whole Parallax thing without it looking like a "total" cop out.

Hal failed to protect his hometown and this made him vulnerable to being taken over by the fear entity because in that one instant Hal Jordan knew the fear of failure and it scared the life out of him.

NefCanuck
Sounds about right.

Technically I grew up with Kyle Rayner, but I don't hate or resent Hal Jordan. I don't get the hate myself.

It's gonna be funny in the theater after the trailer plays. Who wants to bet that we'll here people going, "But I thought he was black??"

lol those will be the fans who probably only know of the gl from jl/jlu. Heck for me i still dont know much on all the lanterns but even as a kid/young teen i know there was a bunch of different ones. At that time sure i dont know if i knew their actual names compared to the likes of batman/superman/spidey and all that.

I think were giving too much credit to the JL cartoon people. the general public could give two squats what color a character is/was. when I name drop GL in general conversation outside of my comic fan friends. most people ask "who is that" then I say "the guy with the ring" then some get it but others are still confounded as to who I'm talking about.

So I think the main problem for WB/DC would be increasing awareness without oversaturation. Get enough of the basics out there so people go "oh I dig this"

Petey, I'm with you here because it's been what..5 years since Justice League Unlimited. Since then, any incarnation of GL was Hal Jordan...

And with the people who questions the ethnicity of Green Lantern probably doesn't even know that Hal Jordan and John Stewart are two different characters

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"