Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning

Yeah since it's been a loooong time since their romance that obviously fizzled at some point, I could imagine her being in a more antagonistic role by now. Or at least finding herself with diametrically opposed goals from Ethan and his team. Like they have to intercept an exchange between her and a black market dealer, or they're undercover and she knows Ethan's not who he's claiming to be or something like that. It doesn't have to feel forced at all, imo.

How and why exactly? She got her record cleaned and expunged. Doesn't seem like she would want to be in a big job to get her in trouble.

Also, why would she opposed to Hunt? She decided to work with Hunt after he informed her that her ex-boyfriend crashed a plane full of people and stole a deadly virus. Seems to go against the character to put her in that type of role just to see her again.

Even Luther didn't mention her in his big speech to Ilsa. He said Ethan only ever got close to two women. Nyah wasn't mentioned as one of them ;) .

How and why exactly? She got her record cleaned and expunged. Doesn't seem like she would want to be in a big job to get her in trouble.

Also, why would she opposed to Hunt? She decided to work with Hunt after he informed her that her ex-boyfriend crashed a plane full of people and stole a deadly virus. Seems to go against the character to put her in that type of role just to see her again.

Even Luther didn't mention her in his big speech to Ilsa. He said Ethan only ever got close to two women. Nyah wasn't mentioned as one of them ;) .

Nyah could be reintroduced as an ally.
They don't have to get together.

Last edited:

What was she gonna do with her life? As far as I could tell, she only went straight for Ethan. I'd figure she probably went right back to what she knew best once they were over. It's not like she was a thief because she HAD to be - she enjoyed it.

And yeah, I agree she wasn't a big love of Ethan's life, which is why she wouldn't need to come back as a love interest. Just a wildcard. She worked with Ethan that one time because she was with him and because her ex-boyfriend was endangering lives. That doesn't mean she'd happily work with him now. She's a professional thief, so whatever she's into now, it's probably shady.

I already suggested a couple scenarios for the "how," and as for why? Why did we need to meet Max's daughter? Because it's fun. :oldrazz:

But for the record, I'm much more into the idea of bringing the forgotten female IMF agents back first. I'm just saying, I wouldn't be against Nyah, either.

Last edited:
What was she gonna do with her life? As far as I could tell, she only went straight for Ethan. I'd figure she probably went right back to what she knew best once they were over. It's not like she was a thief because she HAD to be - she enjoyed it.

And yeah, I agree she wasn't a big love of Ethan's life, which is why she wouldn't need to come back as a love interest. Just a wildcard.

As for why? Why did we need to meet Max's daughter? Because it's fun. :oldrazz:
I was listening to a podcast recently where Mcquarrie said that they added The White Widow's link to Max in post production.
It's still cool, though.

So basically, Kirby wasn't even trying to sound like Vanessa Redgrave to begin with? She just naturally did and McQuarrie decided to capitalize on it? That's pretty cool if true, actually.

I would LOVE either of those.

Hell no to killing The Women.

Bring back Ilsa, they officially closed the book on Julia so leave her be, bring back either Maggie Q, Paula Patton or Thandie Newton somehow. (or all 3!) And actually let them talk to each other.

Ethan, Ilsa and Lane all have unresolved drama that I'd like to see resolved. But Lane should probably die in the next one.

The White Widow can come back.

A while back the rumored big stunt that never came to fruition was a sort of Temple of Doom bridge sequence scenario, but the "bridge" would be a line between two skyscrapers. I got kinda jazzed for that idea and would still love to see something like it.

Maybe a big boat chase sequence? Or jet skis, or both? I'd prefer that over a snow mobile chase just because I'm always averse to snowy locales in my summer blockbusters. It's just a personal quirk, don't ask me to justify it, lol!

And since McQuarrie loves to do callbacks to the first one, maybe another high-speed train sequence, but this time with actual stunts instead of all that 1996 green screen, lol.

A more adrenaline fueled train sequence than "Skyfall"? Sign me up.

6vsO71v.jpg

Although how do you film it when it's going at insane speeds? The Skyfall sequence had a relatively slow train.

I also think Ilsa should join Hunt on an action sequence. They've done bikes before next time should be cars. It's sort of like Benji in the BMW in Rogue Nation

So basically, Kirby wasn't even trying to sound like Vanessa Redgrave to begin with? She just naturally did and McQuarrie decided to capitalize on it? That's pretty cool if true, actually.
Caught a few more interviews.
Vanessa and Mcquarrie discussed the Max connection when they first met.
But it was an inside joke, something only they knew.
But, Mcquarrie felt the original version of the speech Vanessa gave at the charity function was too boring.
So they let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.

With Nyah the main reason I'd want her to return is Thandie Newton, the espionage world was never her home as such, she was pulled in due to her relationship with Ambrose.

A while back the rumored big stunt that never came to fruition was a sort of Temple of Doom bridge sequence scenario, but the "bridge" would be a line between two skyscrapers. I got kinda jazzed for that idea and would still love to see something like it.
I remember the talk about that, some posters Googled up some pretty cool options for this glass bridge, I'm sure it'll happen even if not in a Mission movie, like the Zero-G sequence from The Mummy was somethimg Tom and McQ had came up with around Rogue Nation but it didn't get used and they moved it to a different film.

Maybe a big boat chase sequence? Or jet skis, or both? I'd prefer that over a snow mobile chase just because I'm always averse to snowy locales in my summer blockbusters. It's just a personal quirk, don't ask me to justify it, lol!
Justify it Flick, justify it you snowist! :argh: :oldrazz:

And since McQuarrie loves to do callbacks to the first one, maybe another high-speed train sequence, but this time with actual stunts instead of all that 1996 green screen, lol.
:funny: That CGI in the tunnel is so out of sync with what the series has become known for, perhaps it is trime to rectify that, maybe a mission on the Orient Express?

I think one thing I'd also like to see is another IMF team. We know there are multiple teams at play at any given time, and a team is assembled separately for each mission, but right now, aside from the mission of the first film where we learned they had secretly doubled down on IMF teams during their mole hunt, the IMF seems like a VERY small operation, because we only ever see what one team is up to. That's one thing I liked about Ghost Protocol is we got a (very) brief glimpse of another team at work for a minute. This might be a good way to bring back Maggie Q and Paula Patton, for example, if they're part of another team on an active operation that has to join forces with Ethan's team for whatever reason.
This would be cool, I can't help but think if they did have another IMF team in the mix they'd end up turning and going against Ethan's team, kind of a mirrior image villain team.

I really enjoyed that underwater computer network hack from Rogue Nation.

I really enjoyed that underwater computer network hack from Rogue Nation.
I did, too.
The scene where Ilsa rescues Ethan is one of my favorite scenes in the franchise.
And of course, it leads into that great motorcycle chase.

I remember the talk about that, some posters Googled up some pretty cool options for this glass bridge, I'm sure it'll happen even if not in a Mission movie, like the Zero-G sequence from The Mummy was somethimg Tom and McQ had came up with around Rogue Nation but it didn't get used and they moved it to a different film.

Ethan hunt vs someone in Zero-G.

The plane goes out of control and it keeps going up and down. From Zero-G to a stabilized altitude

Oh man I can actually see that. It would be hilarious to see the other team members in Zero-G too especially Benji

I'd like them to get away from the syndicate for the next film and have Ethan and the IMF face a new threat with stakes that don't involve nuclear weapons.

I hope we get into Ethan head again, as we have in the past few films. I like how they've been peeling back the layers of this character and putting him through the physical and psychological ringer.

Of course, I'd want Luther, Ben, Isla to return , but i'd also love for Renner, Patton, and Maggie Q to return to the team as well.

Seven members for Seven.

So, if this were to happen, do all 7 team members return along with a new member for MI:8?

Ethan hunt vs someone in Zero-G.

The plane goes out of control and it keeps going up and down. From Zero-G to a stabilized altitude

Oh man I can actually see that. It would be hilarious to see the other team members in Zero-G too especially Benji
I could see Pegg loving this, he'd be mugging for the camera all the time. :D

A female villain would be interesting, I think they'd need an actress who is similar in age to Cruise, say a Sandra Bullock or a Nicole Kidman.

My other idea would be a big name actor for the villain, I think Tom Hanks would be really good as an MI villain and would be a good selling point to have Hanks and Cruise in a film together, if they wanted someone who could maybe go hand to hand with Cruise, maybe Brad Pitt? I do like the idea of Lane helping the IMF defeat the new villain.

Nicole Kidman would be awkward... since she and Cruise were married for like 7 or 8 years and he turned their kids against her because of scientology.

I think it would be cool to have Cruise go up against someone equal to his star power

Will Smith? Would that be too obvious and take you out of the movie? Two big name stars

Or someone that's been there since the 80's like Cruise. Kevin Bacon?

I would get a kick out of Harrison Ford being the new IMF chief. Pulled out of retirement due to Hunley's death and not happy about coming back.

I could see Pegg loving this, he'd be mugging for the camera all the time. :D

I can't come up with any clever dialogue while the team is bouncing up and down in a plane lol

The sequence also adds the implausible factor because I'm sure bouncing and falling would break your bones

Something similar to the Superman Returns scene

[YT]9tU0vG9UJ2I[/YT]

Idris Elba hasn't been a villain in enough franchises apparently, so give him a call :)

I think they should start thinking about the legacy of the franchise, like, break in a new team in the next movie and as Cruise is probably be around 60 by the time it will be released transition him to the role of IMF secretary.

I think they should start thinking about the legacy of the franchise, like, break in a new team in the next movie and as Cruise is probably be around 60 by the time it will be released transition him to the role of IMF secretary.
If Ethan became the IMF secretary. I would start worrying about his life expectancy.
Plus , he would inevitably go back to the field.
So, he wouldn't be in charge for long.

Last edited:
I think they will have to make that movie. But not in MI7. Mostly because I don't think anyone will be able to convince Cruise he should start playing "older" until he's over 60, and lastly because I want McQuarrie to do a trilogy within the franchise, and to focus on just making one final great M:I ride that explores Ethan doing what he loves/needs to do. Let the next guy worry about how to handle "Old Man Ethan" in M:I8, which will be the first one where Cruise is over 60. Not that I put it past him getting an M:I9 done before fully relinquishing the franchise.

I think they will have to make that movie. But not in MI7. Mostly because I don't think anyone will be able to convince Cruise he should start playing "older" until he's over 60, and lastly because I want McQuarrie to do a trilogy within the franchise, and to focus on just making one final great M:I ride that explores Ethan doing what he loves/needs to do. Let the next guy worry about how to handle "Old Man Ethan" in M:I8, which will be the first one where Cruise is over 60. Not that I put it past him getting an M:I9 done before fully relinquishing the franchise.
I just hope that they think very carefully about the next story.
Right now, The Mission Impossible Franchise can pretty much write its own ticket.
Let's not mess it up with a weak entry.

Well hopefully Cruise's body will stay intact that long and he does not suffer serious injuries in future films doing these stunts.

Nicole Kidman would be awkward... since she and Cruise were married for like 7 or 8 years and he turned their kids against her because of scientology.

I'd prefer Sandra Bullock anyway, she'd be a good foil to Cruise and she's played a villain before in Minions.

I think it would be cool to have Cruise go up against someone equal to his star power

Will Smith? Would that be too obvious and take you out of the movie? Two big name stars

Or someone that's been there since the 80's like Cruise. Kevin Bacon?

I would get a kick out of Harrison Ford being the new IMF chief. Pulled out of retirement due to Hunley's death and not happy about coming back.

I think because Cruise is the star of Mission Impossible, having someone of his equal star wise would mean making the budget very expensive plus he'd have to share the limelight.

I've mentioned it before but Tom Hanks as a villain or IMF chief would be very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"