Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning

Michelle Yeoh played a good Mission Impossible-style villain on Strike Back. She could be great.

Then again, so did Dougray Scott...

LOL :D
Poor Dougray
I am sure that MI:II seemed like a good idea at the time.

MI:2 did end up being a good thing for one actor at least. His name is Hugh Jackman. ;)

Yeah, that Tramway is pretty amazing. I visited Barcelona last year and I was thinking that it could be a really cool place to have some sort of M:I or James Bond sequence. The Gothic Quarter is also really cool and claustrophobic, which would make for a great foot chase scene.

And yeah, having the new enemy take out Lane in custody at the beginning of the film so that he can't reveal some secret would be a cool into to the new enemy.
You have me sold on this idea! :D it really does lend itself to a great setting for very varied chase sequence, I'm also glad I'm not the only one that can be somehwere and suddenly envision a big movie set piece taking place there lol.

Seeing The Apostles with a new leader pull of an IMF type of heist to take out Lane would be a cool way to kick off the film.

You have me sold on this idea! :D it really does lend itself to a great setting for very varied chase sequence, I'm also glad I'm not the only one that can be somehwere and suddenly envision a big movie set piece taking place there lol.

Seeing The Apostles with a new leader pull of an IMF type of heist to take out Lane would be a cool way to kick off the film.

Damn now I like that idea. A cold open of a big heist sequence just to kill Lane. Could be really intricate and throw the audience into a loop thinking that they’re breaking him out depending.

I say the next film should go down a much more darker path for Ethan.

Maybe all that's left of the Apostles/Syndicate track down
Julia and kill her and Ilsa. Thus setting Ethan on a full rogue path similar to Sam Fisher in Conviction.

I say the next film should go down a much more darker path for Ethan.

Maybe all that's left of the Apostles/Syndicate track down
Julia and kill her and Ilsa. Thus setting Ethan on a full rogue path similar to Sam Fisher in Conviction.

That sounds a bit like an R rated Mission film.
I don’t think that I would be interested in that.

That sounds a bit like an R rated Mission film.
I don’t think that I would be interested in that.

Well it doesn't need to be R rated. It could be done similar to how 24 Season 8 did it when Jack Bauer went on his rampage after Renee was killed.

It definitely doesn't have to be super dark or gruesome. But it'd be different to see Ethan go down a path similar to Sam Fisher or Jack Bauer.

Maybe Tilda Swinton, or Michelle Yeoh perhaps?
I would LOVE either of those.

Hell no to killing The Women.

Bring back Ilsa, they officially closed the book on Julia so leave her be, bring back either Maggie Q, Paula Patton or Thandie Newton somehow. (or all 3!) And actually let them talk to each other.

Ethan, Ilsa and Lane all have unresolved drama that I'd like to see resolved. But Lane should probably die in the next one.

The White Widow can come back.

A while back the rumored big stunt that never came to fruition was a sort of Temple of Doom bridge sequence scenario, but the "bridge" would be a line between two skyscrapers. I got kinda jazzed for that idea and would still love to see something like it.

Maybe a big boat chase sequence? Or jet skis, or both? I'd prefer that over a snow mobile chase just because I'm always averse to snowy locales in my summer blockbusters. It's just a personal quirk, don't ask me to justify it, lol!

And since McQuarrie loves to do callbacks to the first one, maybe another high-speed train sequence, but this time with actual stunts instead of all that 1996 green screen, lol.

I would have thought Cruise has done all the fighting with Kidman he'd have wanted too by now.

I think one thing I'd also like to see is another IMF team. We know there are multiple teams at play at any given time, and a team is assembled separately for each mission, but right now, aside from the mission of the first film where we learned they had secretly doubled down on IMF teams during their mole hunt, the IMF seems like a VERY small operation, because we only ever see what one team is up to. That's one thing I liked about Ghost Protocol is we got a (very) brief glimpse of another team at work for a minute. This might be a good way to bring back Maggie Q and Paula Patton, for example, if they're part of another team on an active operation that has to join forces with Ethan's team for whatever reason.

This series has done a great job of giving strong roles to women the last few rounds. Killing them so Ethan could have a revenge mission is a horrible idea.

Yes lets NOT do that. It'd be one of the most lame and cliché things possible and a complete waste.

Julia doesn't really need to come back since Fallout more or less wrapped up things with her, and Ilsa is now as important a character as Luther and Benji imo, maybe even moreso. So if they don't die, she doesn't die.

And yes, Paula Patton, Maggie Q, Thandie Newton, The White Widow, or some combination of all of those, is something that needs to happen for me as well.

Not sure why Nyah needs to come back. Definitely seems like they kept the door open for White Widow to hang around as an underworld broker and sometimes CIA informant.

One, I just like her. And Two, the transition from MI:2 to MI:3 was always a bit jarring/weird when it came to her and Julia imo.

Eh dunno about that. I wasn't expecting Nyah and Ethan to start picking out homes together. Always just seemed like they had a passionate and intense love affair and moved on.

In MI:3, Ethan was basically trying to settle down and move away from field work and training IMF agents instead. Didn't work out. He has to keep doing what he does. Sort of like Batman. Batman doesn't quit :p .

Nyah's a professional thief with a history with a Ethan, so it's easy to imagine she could be brought back into the story somehow as a wildcard.

Nyah Hall.

images

And not just a cameo. If it were up to me, the main plot would be about Nyah's return, either turning to her for help for a heist, or trying to stop her from pulling a heist that may have wider consequences.

Last edited:
Nyah's a professional thief with a history with a Ethan, so it's easy to imagine she could be brought back into the story somehow as a wildcard.
I wouldn't have a problem with bringing Nyah back.
Why not?

Yeah since it's been a loooong time since their romance that obviously fizzled at some point, I could imagine her being in a more antagonistic role by now. Or at least finding herself with diametrically opposed goals from Ethan and his team. Like they have to intercept an exchange between her and a black market dealer, or they're undercover and she knows Ethan's not who he's claiming to be or something like that. It doesn't have to feel forced at all, imo.

Yeah since it's been a loooong time since their romance that obviously fizzled at some point

But I'd still show a flirtation and attraction from Nyah's side.

And maybe Ethan, for the sake of the mission, has to fake an interest in her as well.

And on the topic of relationships, I'd also have Ilsa revealed to be pregnant, which make Ethan & Ilsa choose to retire from the field for good at the end to be parents (especially if this is Cruise's last film).

Last edited:
But I'd still show a flirtation and attraction from Nyah's side.
As long as it's one-sided, I'd be fine with that. But Ethan doesn't need any more love interests at this point, imo. I just think it would be fun to see Nyah fitting into the picture in the context of her profession, and not as a love interest this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"