Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously it's not confirmed yet but Cruise has said he intends to make more and I think Fallout will make enough money to get another one made. I'd say the other key things are to ensure McQ" returns to complete his trilogy and of course Rebecca Ferguson's Ilsa is crucial.

What are some things you'd like to see in Mission 7?

I think they need to give complete closure to Solomon Lane and his obsesion with destroying Ethan, he's become his Blofeld and a big part of what coulds be McQ's trilogy within the larger tapestry of the franchise.

I also really hope the White Widow returns and I could see her brother Zoia having a bigger roler to play, perhaps looking to a hostile takeover of his sisters business. Obviously I expect Benji and Luther to return and I would like to see Jane as well.

I saw a few posts about Fallout lacking a big slick heist type sequence, the closest being the hijack of the transport convoy carrying Lane. The Langley sequence is the sequence that started it all and I think the Vatican ezxtraction of Davian is really underrated, I'd love to see the IMF team infiltrate the White House or perhaps the Louvre for a big sequence.

Tom Cruise also likes a great landmark for a backdrop, if he fancies doing something in the US they could use the Statue of Liberty, the Chrysler building or the Empire State building, and he loves London so maybe the London Eye could fit a sequence, or the Sydney Opera house if they fancied going back to Australia.

There's gotta be a chase sequence and I think they've done all they can with motorbikes and cars and now helicopters, they could possibly do a boat chase or my personal favourite snowmobiles! :D I also think it's been ages since a movie in this genre tackled an underwater sequence on a big scale like Thunderball, if anyone can raise that bar it's Cruise and McQ.

Yeah, they definitely need to give closure to the Lane storyline. I hope that he dies in the next film and that the primary antagonist isn't someone working for him, but with him. Lark/Walker was more of a second-in-command to Lane that a contemporary. Maybe a female villain. I remember hearing that Sherlock nemesis Sian Brooke was supposed to appear in MI6... maybe they are saving her for part 7? I wonder what happened there.

Also yeah, I wonder about the landmarks and action set pieces for the next film. It might be cool to set a fight sequence on a cable car, like the Port Vell Aerial Tramway in Barcelona. Maybe some of the film could take place in Tokyo, Hong Kong or Singapore; any of those would provide some stunning locations.

I dunno can you really do Lane as the bad guy again? I felt like this time it was fine since The Syndicate was this whole shadow group to mirror the IMF and they probably wouldn't go away overnight.

But what else can you really do with those guys? They almost started a nuclear apocalypse. Plus he knows about Julia now, so why wouldn't he just go after her again after you emotionally closed off that subplot?

I think you can move on to some different baddies this time.

Yeah but you have to think that they let Lane live for a reason. I don't want him to be the big bad again but I think they have to resolve things with him somehow. Maybe he could just serve in a Hannibal Lector kind of way, giving Hunt cryptic clues about the MI7 antagonist and then said antagonist could have him killed in prison or something.

Well for one, Lane surviving was sort of symbolic of Ilsa choosing to do what is right and helping her friends over her getting retribution over Lane. It also shows that they, the good guys and the IMF, are better than the ilk of Lane and the Syndicate and the Apostles.

My concern is they risk rehashing this movie if Lane comes back.

While I would like to see Lane again, I do have that fear too. I did feel some parts of felt a little too similar to Ghost Protocol but it had enough twists to keep it interesting and fresh. I would hate for the franchise to start repeating itself more.

Also curious as to what more they could possibly do with Lane? The end of Fallout kind of implied that the British would kill him since he was handed over to MI6. So his story did come to some form of conclusion. I guess you could explore more of his and Ethan’s relationship, maybe make his motivation just straight up revenge on Ethan. Have it smaller and more intimate ala Mission 3.

Yeah, they definitely need to give closure to the Lane storyline. I hope that he dies in the next film and that the primary antagonist isn't someone working for him, but with him. Lark/Walker was more of a second-in-command to Lane that a contemporary. Maybe a female villain. I remember hearing that Sherlock nemesis Sian Brooke was supposed to appear in MI6... maybe they are saving her for part 7? I wonder what happened there.

Also yeah, I wonder about the landmarks and action set pieces for the next film. It might be cool to set a fight sequence on a cable car, like the Port Vell Aerial Tramway in Barcelona. Maybe some of the film could take place in Tokyo, Hong Kong or Singapore; any of those would provide some stunning locations.
Just looked this up, man that would be a hell of a location for a kind of aerial footchase/fight sequence, I'd always thought of using a cable car in the Alps but this could work. I know I said they probably don't need to do another car chase but a chase at night through Neon lit Tokyo could be something special in the hands of McQ.

Yeah but you have to think that they let Lane live for a reason. I don't want him to be the big bad again but I think they have to resolve things with him somehow. Maybe he could just serve in a Hannibal Lector kind of way, giving Hunt cryptic clues about the MI7 antagonist and then said antagonist could have him killed in prison or something.
Having the new threat infiltrate a high tech facility where they are holding Lane, to silence him would be a great way to establish them and launch into a new storyline.

Well for one, Lane surviving was sort of symbolic of Ilsa choosing to do what is right and helping her friends over her getting retribution over Lane. It also shows that they, the good guys and the IMF, are better than the ilk of Lane and the Syndicate and the Apostles.

My concern is they risk rehashing this movie if Lane comes back.
Ilsa wasn't after retribution though, she had to kill Lane to be free of Mi6, but she chose Benji over her freedom, showing how much she is actually like Ethan despite her colder facade.

I have but one request. More Ilsa. :atp:

I feel like he lived because he wanted to die. Like they avoided killing him, because that is what he didn't want. Plus there was Ethan's promise and Ilsa not having to do it.

Just looked this up, man that would be a hell of a location for a kind of aerial footchase/fight sequence, I'd always thought of using a cable car in the Alps but this could work. I know I said they probably don't need to do another car chase but a chase at night through Neon lit Tokyo could be something special in the hands of McQ.

Having the new threat infiltrate a high tech facility where they are holding Lane, to silence him would be a great way to establish them and launch into a new storyline.

Yeah, that Tramway is pretty amazing. I visited Barcelona last year and I was thinking that it could be a really cool place to have some sort of M:I or James Bond sequence. The Gothic Quarter is also really cool and claustrophobic, which would make for a great foot chase scene.

And yeah, having the new enemy take out Lane in custody at the beginning of the film so that he can't reveal some secret would be a cool into to the new enemy.

I feel like he lived because he wanted to die. Like they avoided killing him, because that is what he didn't want. Plus there was Ethan's promise and Ilsa not having to do it.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, but I interpreted Lane not so much as wanting to die but feeling like he could die now that his mission was accomplished. But since he was thwarted in that attempt, I think he would still want to continue his mission rather than die.

Lane needs to return to close out his storyline imo. He's one of those villains who will only finally not be dangerous once he's dead.

I'd like to see an old cast member return, at least one. Thandie Newton, Paula Patton, Maggie Q, etc.

I'd like to see the White Widow return as a wildcard again.

The team (Luther, Benji, Ilsa) all coming back as well.

Perhaps Angela Bassett could become the IMF Director.

I'd kind of like to see a female main villain this time around, with her own agenda (not just a pawn for Lane). We still haven't gotten one of those yet.

Possible action locations. Tokyo, Jerusalem, Singapore, Mexico City, etc.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, but I interpreted Lane not so much as wanting to die but feeling like he could die now that his mission was accomplished. But since he was thwarted in that attempt, I think he would still want to continue his mission rather than die.
Except his mission wouldn't really be over. What I kind of got from it, was that he was tired. His mission, whatever it was, has boiled down to a focus on Ethan. He was living for the chance to hurt Ethan. If he died, he died with the idea that he beat Ethan, he made him suffer, no matter what actually happened. Now he has to live with the fact that he failed.

Except his mission wouldn't really be over. What I kind of got from it, was that he was tired. His mission, whatever it was, has boiled down to a focus on Ethan. He was living for the chance to hurt Ethan. If he died, he died with the idea that he beat Ethan, he made him suffer, no matter what actually happened. Now he has to live with the fact that he failed.

Agree with this. That's what I got from it. Walker was all about "the cause" whereas Lane's mission had become about beating Ethan. He thought he'd accomplished that so he didn't see a reason to carry on. Bit of a Batman/Joker thing. They need each other etc.

The biggest question is does McQuarrie come back to direct or at least write? If not, then who?

Hopefully not someone predictable like the John Wick guys. Would be cool to see someone like Kathryn Bigelow.

A female villain would be interesting, I think they'd need an actress who is similar in age to Cruise, say a Sandra Bullock or a Nicole Kidman.

My other idea would be a big name actor for the villain, I think Tom Hanks would be really good as an MI villain and would be a good selling point to have Hanks and Cruise in a film together, if they wanted someone who could maybe go hand to hand with Cruise, maybe Brad Pitt? I do like the idea of Lane helping the IMF defeat the new villain.

Last edited:
If they really wanted to try something different, have the first half of the movie be from Ilsa’s perspective as she’s on her own mission for MI6. Then she crosses path with the IMF for the back half.

-Lane and Ilsa's relationship with Ethan is still in hunt, and McQ has already talked vaguely about where he'd like to see Ethan go now that they've closed the book on his relationship with Julia.

Yeah, McQ is coming back and so are all the major players (minus [blackout]August, :hehe: [/backout]) for the next one. Cannot wait.

Make it Ethan's last mission. "Logan" style. Damn it, I'm crying already.

A female villain would be interesting, I think they'd need an actress who is similar in age to Cruise, say a Sandra Bullock or a Nicole Kidman.

My other idea would be a big name actor for the villain, I think Tom Hanks would be really good as an MI villain and would be a good selling point to have Hanks and Cruise in a film together, if they wanted someone who could maybe go hand to hand with Cruise, maybe Brad Pitt? I do like the idea of Lane helping the IMF defeat the new villain.

nicole kidman would be a really cool twist

Make it Ethan's last mission. "Logan" style. Damn it, I'm crying already.

Not M:I 7. That might be worth considering for M:I8 though. Except I don't want to see Ethan die. Maybe he and Ilsa (who eventually switches to IMF full-time if she hasn't by the end of 7) are the Jim and Claire of M:I8 going forward. You know, except without the whole treason thing.

Ilsa should be the Hunt replacement imo.

During promo interviews for this there's a video where Cruise, asked if Ethan could die in a future instalment, says that will never happen and interestingly Simon Pegg says he feels with this film and the last the story's potentially heading in a way whereby they all, the heroes, could end up being killed.

IF Cruise ever actually decides to move away from the franchise as it's star and if he/Paramount decide to keep it going I see Hunt in the elder statesman Jim Phelps role (without betrayal hopefully).

Maybe Tilda Swinton, or Michelle Yeoh perhaps? Also the latter could be a good physical threat to Ethan as well if necessary.

Michelle Yeoh played a good Mission Impossible-style villain on Strike Back. She could be great.

Then again, so did Dougray Scott...

LOL :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"