Mistake & Inaccuracy

Son of Sun

Civilian
Reaction score
Somekind of continuation for the issue concerning Lana's spine and internal organs in the discussion of episode 5 of season 7, where Clark caught her mid-air and they came to a very sudden stop after falling few dozen floors. That issue was (was it?) more or less solved. I'm not planning to undermine everything, but every now and then something just gets stuck in my mind.

You have anything stuck on yours?

Chisel

Can't remember the exact episode, but Lex stabs Clark with a chisel he picks up in the Kent barn, and the chisel gets all bent and twisted. Lana picked up the chisel and held it in her drawer for a short while.

So, with this incident we are to believe that not only is Clark indestructible, but actually somehow subconsciously creates a rather aggressive counter-effect to whatever objects that hit him in such a manner that they would damage normal people?

I mean, chisels are damned hard for the very reason that they could be used to work other materials with, and I can't see how Lex could even create such a momentum in the first place that which would destroy a chisel in any manner. If you or I should try stabbing a steel plate with a chisel with all our strength, all we'd get out of it would be twisted wrists. Not to mention that when the tempered material of a chisel would give in, it would rather shatter, or even splinter, rather than act like warm butter and melt like the chisel looked to have done.

Any thoughts? What am I missing?

Or does this fall into the category of "lack of consideration".

I won't argue the logic or science but I believe it's just one of those things you have to accept. Doubt the writers really took time to research the physics of such an act on that type of object.

It made for better drama to have a bent chisel that Lana could hide at the risk of Lex uncovering than to have it shatter. Simple as that.

At least that's my take on it...but hadn't really thought about that particular thing before.

maybe clark was moving towards the chisel at the same time that lex was trying to stab him... Lex may not have been able to create the momentum needed to break the chisel... but Clark moving towards the chisel may have hurt the chisel. The question in the end, is how was lex able to hold onto the chisel... his hand would have been broken... welcome to the world of SV... where the powers are not well defined, and can work in any way that makes the plot workable.

lol welcome to Smallville, please leave all suspensions of disbelief at the door.

Somekind of continuation for the issue concerning Lana's spine and internal organs in the discussion of episode 5 of season 7, where Clark caught her mid-air and they came to a very sudden stop after falling few dozen floors. That issue was (was it?) more or less solved. I'm not planning to undermine everything, but every now and then something just gets stuck in my mind.

You have anything stuck on yours?

Chisel

Can't remember the exact episode, but Lex stabs Clark with a chisel he picks up in the Kent barn, and the chisel gets all bent and twisted. Lana picked up the chisel and held it in her drawer for a short while.

So, with this incident we are to believe that not only is Clark indestructible, but actually somehow subconsciously creates a rather aggressive counter-effect to whatever objects that hit him in such a manner that they would damage normal people?

I mean, chisels are damned hard for the very reason that they could be used to work other materials with, and I can't see how Lex could even create such a momentum in the first place that which would destroy a chisel in any manner. If you or I should try stabbing a steel plate with a chisel with all our strength, all we'd get out of it would be twisted wrists. Not to mention that when the tempered material of a chisel would give in, it would rather shatter, or even splinter, rather than act like warm butter and melt like the chisel looked to have done.

Any thoughts? What am I missing?

Or does this fall into the category of "lack of consideration".
Muhahahahahaha!!! It's official: I'm adopting this young Padawan and taking him under my wing. :D :up:

Hulk, close your eyes.

They closed?

Okay...

What's wrong with this picture?

exposed7.jpg

This is a test. :ninja:

Muhahahahahaha!!! It's official: I'm adopting this young Padawan and taking him under my wing. :D :up:

Hulk, close your eyes.

They closed?

Okay...

What's wrong with this picture?

exposed7.jpg

This is a test. :ninja:

The rope would rip.:huh: :ninja:

The rope would rip.:huh: :ninja:
If he was pulling steady - vs. a quick tug - nope, the rope should be fine. (Assume the rope is unbreakable for this exercise.)

Hint: Something is missing in the picture in order for what's being shown to work. What is it?

Hulk! Stop peaking!!! :mad:

You're only gonna frustrate yourself. :p

If he was pulling steady - vs. a quick tug - nope, the rope should be fine. (Assume the rope is unbreakable for this exercise.)

Hint: Something is missing in the picture in order for what's being shown to work. What is it?

Hulk! Stop peaking!!! :mad:

You're only gonna frustrate yourself. :p

There's nothing holding Clark to the ground for him to pull the hellicopter down.:huh:

Superman/Clark/Kal-El can manipulate gravity, that's how he pulled it down. A sort of flying in reverse if you will.

OK not one of these again, I refuse to get into the tethered helicopter debate once again where we argue human physics and try to apply them to super-powered fictional aliens. :)

and yes, we know the whole "hitting Clark and things exploding or bending" is a bit silly b/c Lex or whoever else couldnt provide enough force to bend the chisel, etc. It would just deflect off to the side like if you tried to stab steel with a knife...

Logic and Smallville don't work well together, that's how to explain all this.

The moment you switch on your TV, sit down and choose to watch a show about an alien who can fly (or will :oldrazz: ), shoot heat beams from his eyes, move at speeds that the human eye cannot follow, see through solid objects and hear a pin drop from 10 miles away ....................................... then you choose to also accept that yes, chisels can be bent without harming the human holding them. Lana can fall at speed from great heights and still not suffer serious damage despite a near full stop when caught. And major characters can get shot and stabbed every other week yet suffer no longterm psychological or physical damage.

As said above, welcome to Smallville :oldrazz:

Gaz

In Smallville I can accept pretty much whatever they want to make up... like... meteor rock + nearby person + Xfactor = "Freak of the Week." And Clark's an alien who can... well you all know what he can do. :super:

So it may sound strange to say I also like things to be logical...

If you are going to make up the rules... like Clark can be dropped by a dime size piece of Kryptonite, then don't have him walking upright past huge chucks of the stuff. Just TRY at least, to stick to the rules you make up.

And while you can make-up futuristic science, it'd be nice if certain common laws of physics... like the chisel, were realistic.

And when it comes to good old fashioned intrigue and mystery, there's NO REASON to have nonsense like... a gang of bimbos are the first thieves in 100 years to think of stealing a map to a fortune on gold. :whatever: Just ONE example.

Yeah, well. Guess this wasn't well received.

I didn't exactly mean to say that the whole show was unrealistic (what's the point in that?), rather just underline stuff that made no sense in the given universe.

But what the hey.

actually, one could argue, that his advanced kryptonian psysiology... with its dense molecular structure (ie. he's not made of litteral flesh and bone, but some alien material that looks like flesh and bone), would actually be extremely heavy. This could allow him to pull the chopper down.

But if he is extremely heavy... how does Clark function in our gravity? Well, it's simple: he is flying. He just doesn't have the thrust to get himself off the ground. Perhaps Clark's ability to fly has always been present... but at this point, it is only offsetting the weight of his dense molecular structure. Sooner or later, the power will grow, allowing him to defy gravity

worst mistake is having a certain city you can see from Smallville :p

dum dums really screw up that little part

maybe clark was moving towards the chisel at the same time that lex was trying to stab him... Lex may not have been able to create the momentum needed to break the chisel... but Clark moving towards the chisel may have hurt the chisel. The question in the end, is how was lex able to hold onto the chisel... his hand would have been broken... welcome to the world of SV... where the powers are not well defined, and can work in any way that makes the plot workable.

Yep SV = cheap thrills with a Superman theme ;)

Smallville will be remembered as the longest running superhero television show EVER. It wont be about petty gripes about physics, especially ones that show up in the comics all the time.

Smallville will be remembered as the longest running superhero television show EVER. It wont be about petty gripes about physics, especially ones that show up in the comics all the time.

Longest running? Cool

But wouldn't Clark be strong enough to simply super jump and pull the helicopter down?:huh:
Strength is irrelevant. Assume Clark's strength is limitless for the exercise. It's a physics problem.

Superman/Clark/Kal-El can manipulate gravity, that's how he pulled it down. A sort of flying in reverse if you will.
Clark doesn't fly yet. He's not manipulating gravity in that scene.

Once Clark can fly, the question becomes moot because his ability to defy gravity is through force of will. That's not physics anymore, that's utter fantasy. He wouldn't need a counter weight at that point, though the object he's pushing/pulling/holding should still have to answer to the laws of physics. For example, I have a hard time believing a 747 has enough structural integrity to balance on its nose without the weight of the plane and its cargo crushing the cockpit like an accordion back into first class. :)

But that's where Byrne comes in, I guess. :p

Logic and Smallville don't work well together, that's how to explain all this.
You're right, it's a fantasy show - just like any story about superpowered alien beings. But we can talk about this stuff "logically" nonetheless.

Yeah, well. Guess this wasn't well received.
Eh, don't sweat it. Most people would rather discuss who would win in a fight than science and physics. It's okay. :O

actually, one could argue, that his advanced kryptonian physiology... with its dense molecular structure (ie. he's not made of literal flesh and bone, but some alien material that looks like flesh and bone), would actually be extremely heavy. This could allow him to pull the chopper down.
Niiice! That would work to. But Clark is always described as 220-225, so I've been going by his own stats.

But if he is extremely heavy... how does Clark function in our gravity?
He's super strong. He'd have no problem.

he is flying. He just doesn't have the thrust to get himself off the ground. Perhaps Clark's ability to fly has always been present... but at this point, it is only offsetting the weight of his dense molecular structure. Sooner or later, the power will grow, allowing him to defy gravity
Great theory, but while his dense molecular structure has been noted in the comics, a need to counter gravity's effects on his weight due to his mass has never been suggested, so it's hard to fall back on this as an answer to the problem. It is however scientifically correct in theory and does answer the question. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"