Monologue!?

The Geek Vault

Come at me bro
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

For english class, I have to present a monologue, from anything I want. I was just making sure... there are no monologues in watchmen right?

Try opening up the book and flipping through it. This doesn't sound like that hard of an assignment so I'm not gonna help you on your homework. And this really isn't the place for this topic anyway.

Hey Guys,

For english class, I have to present a monologue, from anything I want. I was just making sure... there are no monologues in watchmen right?

Other than every damn single Rorschach caption, you mean?

You could really just read the narration from rorschach's journal. Especially in the beginning.

I read Dr. Manhattan's speech (with some changes) to Laurie for an audition for professional theatre. They loved it, it almost won me the lead role over a seasoned professional actor, and it was a lot more hopeful than Rorschach's speech about the hopelessness and randomness of things, which trust me, would not go over well in a class. :)

From memory...I'm sure I'll forget something...

I don't think your life is meaningless. I changed my mind. Thermodynamic miracles. Events with odds against them so astronomical they're effectively impossible. Like oxygen spontaneously turning to gold. I long to witness such a thing. And yet, in each human coupling, a million sperm vie for a single egg. Multipy those odds across countless generations, against the odds of your ancestors meeting, falling in love, siring this precise son, that exact daughter. And then, your mother loves a man she has every reason to hate and it was you, only you, who emerged. To distill so specific a form fromt hat...chaos of improbability...that is the crowning unlikelihood. The thermodynamic miracle. But our world is so full of these miracles that they become commonplace and we forget. I forget. We gave continually at the world and it grows dull in our perceptions. But seen from the vantage point of another, as if new...it may still take the breath away. Come, dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenburg. The clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes. Dry your eyes...and let's go home.

Point is, it's a great monologue.

I actually read Rorschach's journal in a prose style for forensics and have won doing it. I used that and Adrian's reveal of his plan. That is a nice monologue that you used.

Watchmen is rife with monologues. Moore seems to love the device because it clearly permits him to indulge himself -- and, of course, to flesh out the characters in a way that would otherwise be difficult (and boring).

Roschach's Journal is nothing but monologues. And if you say "an abattoir full of screaming ******ed children" in front of your class, then I'm pretty sure you get an "A" for the day.

Dr. Manhattan provides some baffling monologues about his personal past and experience of non-linear time. If you go this route, prepare to be up to your ears in nerd-girl *****. Unless you're at a community college.

There must be others (I don't think the Comedian's drunken rants or Dreiberg/Jupiter's incessant whining count).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"