More music from Batman TAS being released

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by Merkel, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Elevator Man

Elevator Man Well-Known Member

The Cape And Cowl Conspiracy (Beth Ertz & Mark Koval)

A thief named Wormwood, who bribes information from his victims through deathtraps, is hired to retrieve Batman‘s cape and cowl. Aside from the Batman theme this score lacked any recurring themes/motifs. Whatever it lacks in melodies it makes up for musically during all the suspenseful deathtraps Wormwood puts Batman through.

The foreboding music (“Damsel In Distress”) during the moment where Batman attempts to save a helpless woman from being ran over by a speeding locomotive really heightens the suspense. Until it’s revealed she was actually a hologram created by Wormwood. The same could be said for the wax museum death trap sequence (“Delarue’s Wax Museum”) and the exciting final confrontation (“Gotcha”) between Batman and Wormwood once it was revealed that Batman was actually the one who hired Wormwood to retrieve his cape and cowl. I remember the “Gotcha” cue intensifying the fight scene between Batman and Wormwood in the actual episode. Listening to that cue you wouldn’t think it was written for an animated show aimed at children. It came off like something I’d hear in a suspense thriller, which is a compliment.

Mark Koval wrote most of the score and ended up rescoring Beth Ertz’s rejected contributions. After hearing Ertz cues in comparison to Koval I can understand why each were rejected. The bonus tracks to TCACC included her original music for the “Damsel In Distress” and “Delarue’s Wax Museum“ sequences, which seemed too whimsical. It lacked not only Walker’s Batman theme but the added tension that Koval brought to both sequences. Ertz’s music for those sequences sounded like a lot of “mickey mousing”. Also felt like it was written for a swashbuckling movie from the golden age of filmmaking. In other words it didn’t really fit the tone Walker established for the show. It also wasn’t congruent with Koval‘s music, imo. Koval’s music during Wormwood's deathtraps actually had me concerned for how Batman was going to survive each one. And whether or not he’d succumb to giving up his cape and cowl. Though I still wouldn’t mind syncing the cues with the actual sequences just to see what Ertz’s was attempting to accomplish.

One other moment I enjoyed in the score was when Batman humiliated the Baron during a ceremony (“The Baron“). Though it’s inconsistent from the rest of Koval’s tone for the episode the music during that moment was very fitting of the comical tone with the audience laughing on behalf of Baron’s embarrassment . The music itself reminded me of the piece playing during the Joker commercial from Elfman’s B89 score.

Another interesting tidbit I noticed during the score was at the beginning of ‘Gotcha” just as Batman reveals to Wormwood he was disguised as the Baron since the beginning of their partnership. A familiar 4 note motif plays just before the Batman theme kicks in. That 4 note motif is very similar to the one used for Kyodai Ken in “Night Of The Ninja”, which was also scored by Koval.

"Gotcha" sample

2. Elevator Man

Zatanna (Peter Tomashek & Nerida Tyson Chew)

Batman teams up with a magician named Zatanna to clear her name from a theft she didn’t commit. The DC superhero/magician would later join the Justice League in JLU. Zatanna is given a mysterious but whimsical theme, which establishes her performer/entertainer side. Zatanna’s theme highlights her magic tricks when it’s put to the forefront as source music during her magic show. The theme isn’t a typical mighty heroic theme b/c most of the episode Zatanna doesn’t use her magic against criminals but to amaze an audience with ‘em.

The music during the episode's climax (“Bring Them Both“/“Fight Without Wind”)on the plane as Batman triumphs over the villains is a highlight of the score.

Earlier in the episode it was revealed in a flashback that Bruce was mentored by Zatanna’s father. It also hinted that Bruce and Zatanna were in sort of a relationship that was cut short. Young Bruce then abruptly vanished for many years after escaping Zatanna’s hand cuffs like a good magician. During the finale Batman reveals his identity to her and why he wears the mask but just as they began reconnecting with one another Zatanna disappears on him. She leaves Batman a note hinting that they may meet again but not yet. The scene perfectly parallels the flashback when Bruce ditches Zatanna. “Don’t Forget To Write” is a very endearing but tender track that ends ambiguously with the Batman theme. Hinting that Zatanna and Batman would cross each other‘s path again someday. It was a bittersweet ending b/c Batman and Zatanna never really got to know one another. Only briefly both times.

"Kane’s a Dummy/Sharp Situation/Get Rid of Him" samples

3. Elevator Man

Moon Of The Wolf (Richard Bronskill)

Say what you want about the episode with it’s shoddy animation (color of Milo’s jacket changing from silver to brown anyone) but the score is excellent. I’ve been anticipating the release of this score for a while now. Without this volume this score (as well as the rest of Volume 4) would’ve been on the chopping block. And would’ve never been released b/c LLLR was initially planning to release the scores from The Adventures Of Batman & Robin instead, but thank goodness they reconsidered.

Having the electric guitar and drum set establish the Wolfman’s presence was a very bold and unconventional decision. It reminded me of a contemporary 80s horror score. And some of the guitar riffs reminded me of Riggs’ theme from the Lethal Weapon movies. The electric guitar riffs gives the impression of the Wolfman’s howling. The theme is played more dramatically minus the electric guitar during Anthony’s flashback montage (“Flashback”) after taking the lycanthrope serum. During the bleak ending (“Open House”) as Anthony’s legacy is left behind b/c he’s permanently succumb to his werewolf metamorphosis.

Though the Wolfman theme dominates most of the score the Batman theme makes enough appearances during both confrontations (“Werewolf Attack“, “Batman Unlocks Shackles”/”Wolfman And Batman Fight”/”Wolfman Electrocuted” )between him and the Wolfman.

I wonder why the source cue from the gym, where Bruce was jogging with some friends and overhears about Anthony’s planned meeting with Batman that night, wasn’t included? Regardless it's still a great score without it.

"Jogger/Werewolf Attack" sample

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  4. Elevator Man

The Mechanic (Peter Tomashek & John Tatgenhorst)

“The Mechanic” centers around the creator of the Batmobile and how the Penguin ambushes him to sabotage it. Therefore the Batman theme makes brief appearances in this adventure.

The Penguin theme carries most of the score. It’s a lot more sinister and mischievous in this episode than previous ones featuring the villain. It makes sense that Penguin’s theme would come off more menacing b/c throughout the episode he’s threatening to kill Earl’s daughter if he refuses to cooperate with him.

Earl gets a simple but effective motif as well, which can be heard during a flashback (“Batman Saves Earl”) as he escapes from thugs making an attempt on his life before Batman saves the day, as Earl is designing the Batmobile (“Challenge Of A Lifetime“), when Batman finds out Earl sabotaged the Batmobile (“Penguin Goes Joyriding“) and when an emotional Earl subdues one of the Penguin’s goons (“Earl's Revenge”).

"Opening Chase" sample

5. Elevator Man

The Worry Men (Lolita Ritmanis)

This episode centers around rich socialites (including Bruce Wayne) being mind controlled into handing over most of their fortune to a mysterious figure called the Shamin’. The Worry Men /Shamin theme carries most of the episode. Since most of the episode it seemed like he and the Worry Men were Batman's main threat. The theme is not only tribal with the percussive instruments, but also both aggressive and intimidating.

Mad Hatter’s shady main theme shows up once it’s revealed that he’s the mastermind behind it. Of course the Batman theme makes the necessary appearances.

The “Jungle Club Source” bonus track is very fitting for a jungle themed event where people can mingle. It almost sounds like lounge music. It’s another example of how well the B;TAS composers are able adapt to certain styles/genres.

"Mad Hatter Rejoices/Mannequin Fight" sample

6. Elevator Man

Fear Of Victory (Carlos Rodriguez, Lisa Bloom, and Shirley Walker)

The Scarecrow rigs college games at Gotham University by dosing athletes with fear toxin so he can win money on bets, while Batman and Robin (who happens to be infected by the toxin by accident) try to stop him. Most of the soundtrack tracked in music from Walker‘s “Nothing To Fear”, which was the studio's attempt (thankfully last until the episode “Superman’s Pal” from Superman: The Animated Series) at saving money. Thankfully the original music composed specifically for the episode made the album.

Lisa Bloom’s tracks “Falling Bricks/Saving Robin” is a major highlight. It’s very heroic and thrilling. That particular cue reminded of Elfman’s Batman scores as Batman and Robin pursue a couple of bandits on a high rise and Robin succumbs to the effects of the fear toxin. I could tell Lisa Bloom helped with the orchestrations for the 90s short-lived Flash TV series b/c the rhythm of the suspenseful music (as Batman was falling to his death before grappling onto a fire escape into a half naked woman’s apartment )reminded me of Walker’s secondary theme for the Scarlet Speedster. That’s not a bad thing. I miss that kind of Batman music these days. Bloom integrated the Batman theme superbly into the cue.

Another highlight (“A Gallery Of Enemies”) is when Batman enters Arkham Asylum to visit Crane’s cell. As Batman passes by a couple of his rogues (The Joker, Poison Ivy, and Two Face) their theme announces them. Once it’s revealed that Crane escaped Arkham the Scarecrow theme wickedly announces itself as if it is musically laughing at Batman and it’s viewer. Like the jokes on us for believing the Scarecrow was in his cell the whole time when he actually wasn’t.

I also liked how Walker was able to integrate her recurring enigmatic theme that usually hints at something suspicious is going on. It’s a recurring theme she’d often used e.g. “Perchance To Dream”, “Two Face, Part II“, “Mask Of The Phantasm“, etc. It can be heard just before the medley of the rogues themes.

Rodriguez provided the rest of the new material, which was reprised of two source cues (“Boseman’s Bloopers” and “Gotham Fight Song”)and three brief cues (“The Agony Of The Scarecrow/Robin Into Action/Don’t Drop The Vial”) for the climax between Batman, Scarecrow, and Robin at football stadium.

"Falling Bricks/Saving Robin" samples

7. Elevator Man

His Silicon Soul (Carl Johnson & Harvey R. Cohen)

Batman must face off against a duplicant of himself before it destroys him and brings HARDAC back online. This episode was an excellent conclusion to the HARDAC saga.

Carl Johnson (composer of “Heart Of Steel, Part II“) returns for “His Silicon Soul” and fleshes out his previous themes/motifs from that particular episode to establish the story and tone for this episode. It’s by no means a rehash but more of an expansion or evolution of his themes/motifs.

Harvey R. Cohen scored the episode's 2nd half, where Batman’s duplicant becomes susceptible to HARDAC’s programming and attempts to annihilate Batman. Cohen was very faithful to Johnson’s themes. His cues also felt congruent with Johnson’s in tone. Both composers styles blended together seamlessly that it’s hard to believe this score wasn’t written by one composer. That is a testament to both composers talents.

"HARDAC Is Reborn/Over the Edge/Robo Soul" sample

8. Elevator Man

Arkham Archives (Various Composers)

Arkham Archives was a nice “odds n ends” compilation of cues from previous volumes that weren’t released. It always bothered me how Volume 1 was missing certain cues. As well as some cues being abridged and edited. LLLR thankfully released all the missing cues including some alternates and unused bonus cues /source cues from Volume 2 & 3. It was extremely aggravating and stressful importing these missing cues into their respective volumes, episodes, and my iTunes library, but it was still worth it. Can’t wait to listen to the volumes altogether, whenever I find the opportunity to. It’s hard to believe that almost all the B:TAS music has been released. Tens years ago this was just a pipe dream, but LLLR finally made it happen.

PRETTY POISON - "Rose Café Source #2" sample

BE A CLOWN - "Circus Source #2" (unused) sample

VENDETTA - "The Greenhouse Visit/Let’s Get Some Air" sample

BIRDS OF A FEATHER - " Roll Over Leoncavallo" sample

9. Elevator Man

[​IMG]

John Takis Talks “Justice League,” “Batman” and “Caped Crusaders” Soundtracks with The World’s Finest - Part One: Justice League & Batman

10. Elevator Man

John Takis Talks “Justice League,” “Batman” and “Caped Crusaders” Soundtracks with The World’s Finest - Part Two: Return of the Caped Crusaders

11. Elevator Man

La La Land/MV Questions thread

Shame about the S:TAS release underperforming.

12. Elevator Man

13. fshhc

fshhc New Member

Would you please be kind enough to share on how you organized the Arkham Archives cues into their respective volumes and episodes in your iTunes library?

14. Elevator Man

The difficult, stressful, and time consuming way by typing 'em into their respective volumes, unfortunately. I had to type in the volume titles (i.e. Batman The Animated Series Volume 1, Batman The Animated Series Volume 2,etc) for each cue. Then I imported them into their respective volumes in my iTunes library. Then I had to arrange those cues as close as I could in chronological order with their respective episodes and volumes. It also meant I had to rearrange/reorganize the track order/playlist of 100+ cues for volume 1, and nearly 200 cues for volumes 2 & 3. I wish I could tell you there was an easier way to organize the Arkham Archive cues into their respective episodes and volumes in chronological order but there isn't.

Here's a link to a message board where users compiled the chronological order of the episodes containing the Arkham Archive cues.

PR: 7 NEW RELEASES BY LA LA LAND RECORDS

15. fshhc

fshhc New Member

Thanks for the link, greatly appreciated.

16. Elevator Man

17. Elevator Man

I don't own the Batman: The Animated Series complete series dvd box set, but just a few episodes on dvd. (I know some Batman fan I am). So in celebration of Batman: The Animated Series 25th anniversary. I've been setting aside some time re-listening to the soundtracks to Volumes 1, 2 and 3 for the past couple of days. Hopefully I'll be able set aside time to re-listen to Volume 4 tomorrow, which was the show's premiere date 25 years ago.

18. Elevator Man

19. GamerSlyRatchet

GamerSlyRatchet Well-Known Member

This one really blows. I was looking forward to the Beware the Batman soundtrack since Young Justice and Green Lantern managed to get theirs. At least B:TAS will get to finish their stuff.

20. Elevator Man

Well at least it'll coincide with Batman's 80th anniversary.

21. Elevator Man

All News La La Land (LLL)

Well I guess that means Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero also got delayed to next year.

[​IMG]

22. Elevator Man

23. Elevator Man