• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Transformers Movie based Toys? (SPOILERS)

SuperJediHero

Superhero
Reaction score
Yeah I know we got a Products forum, but I think since we are discussing Toys based on this movie it may have certain Spoilers that others may not wish to know.

So, anyway, what's the word on the Toys?

When are they coming out? Like May, June?

And, if there are leaks of what they gonna look like yet?

Movie Starscream prototype on eBay:

edit. the eBay listing was taken down. Here are the pics

ss6.jpg

ss5.jpg

ss4.jpg

God Starscream looks like a *****ebag

Latta should arise and kick ass

Wow, I don't like it. The thing is, he's too short and boxy for my tastes.

i figured at least these new designs would give us some sick ass toys. i appear to have been mistaken. that starscream jet mode is pure s**t

903f_1_sbl.JPG

"Crap is that? Looks like someone sodomized a pigeon and left it for dead."

I'm going to wait for the supposed $80 Ultimate version of the movie toys. Hopefully they will be of the same quality as the Masterpiece series.

The toys that we've been seeing are the deluxe versions...$10 toys. Not too bad for $10 bucks I guess. I like my Classics line better.

nosebleed said:
I'm going to wait for the supposed $80 Ultimate version of the movie toys. Hopefully they will be of the same quality as the Masterpiece series.

The toys that we've been seeing are the deluxe versions...$10 toys. Not too bad for $10 bucks I guess. I like my Classics line better.

the classic are leaps and bounds ahead of these things. Megatron looks like a happy meal toy.

Actually here's a pretty good explanation from Glitch over at tfw2005.

Hi all.

First, this is my inaugural post on this board. It's a great site, and I'm happy to be here.

Anyway, I know that a number of you have extremely mixed feelings about these toys - that's to be expected. I just want to help explain the difficult position that those involved in this line are in.

This is not like the average Transformers line in which some freedom of design is granted. If something doesn't look quite right, you have some liberty to make the necessary changes to give it a more aesthetically pleasing appearance or more dynamic form. Quite simply, the designers were given the specs (which were CONSTANTLY changing), and told that "this" vehicle turns into "this" robot form. Needless to say, this was pretty much impossible. The wheels needed to be in certain locations, any indication of body parts were virtually non existent, and all this needed to be done in such a way that the transformation was simple enough for the average consumer WITHOUT compromise to the licensed vehicle modes.

On top of all this, it all had to be done rather inexpensively. What we are looking at here are $9.99 price point toys. As it stands, they are MUCH more complex in fabrication, part number, level of articulation and detail than pretty much any other toy in the brand. Near Alternators look and feel at half the size and target price point is tough to beat.

Again, these are the lower priced, consumer friendly versions of these guys, so PLEASE cut them some slack. The designers are giving it their all in the face of an impossible situation - and looming production deadlines.

The best is yet to come!

Good times!

and another

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. Like I said, it's nice to see a site with so much passion for these little fellas.

Originally Posted by The Phazer
I'm sorry, but this isn't remotely true.

They are no where near as complex in part number, level of articulation and fabrication as deluxe toys from either Cybertron or Classics.

In particular, Bumblebee only having two colour sprues is a DAMNING indictment of the cost cutting that has taken place here compared to the typical Transformers toy.

Phazer

Well....I wish it were this easy.

In all honesty, "sprue counting" is a bit simplistic when accessing the overall complexity and cost of a toy line. In fact, when a line is this big, the number of sprues (whether it's two, three or four) isn't even an issue. Sprues of different colors and types of injections can be shared or gated based on vamp up needs. The real factor is the speed/volume of production - how much volume can be produced of a given piece in a given period of time. Tooling will ALWAYS be costly, but what really shoots up the production cost on this line is the complexity of the assembly.

While it may be difficult to see form these pics, there is actually quite a bit going on at a pretty small scale. The end result is several difficult to assemble small parts. With the movie figures, the unrealistic designs didn't allow the luxury of having entire chunks of the car body visible in the alt mode. A great effort had to be taken to break up the body parts, AND maintain the look of the licensed vehicle as much as possible. All this had to be done at half the size and price point as the Alternators series.

Because of this, most of these have a more complicated assembly process than Classics, Cyb, and, because of scale, even Alternators.

Sadly, one of the biggest hits on the lower price point line will be the deco apps. This is one of the most costly, time consuming aspects of production. Also remember that not every piece in the line is a direct reflection of the issues I brought up. There going to be pieces that are cheaper to manufacture and there are going to be those that are considerably more costly. When a line is issued, this is taken into consideration so that it evens itself out in the end. For example, in the Star Wars figure line, you're going to have figures like Chewbacca with a light up C-3PO accessory as well as something like repaint of an existing tooling - it's all about balancing costs. The same is going to be true in the Transformers movie line.

Anyway, I just thought I would clear that up.

For the record, I wholeheartedly agree that not all of these look great. All I ask is that the brutal task of taking an unrealistic, impossible design and turning it into a reality with all these issues hanging over the designer's heads be taken into consideration.

Also note that these things are test shots that don't necessarily reflect the final production pieces - and that they were transformed and posed by someone that CLEARLY doesn't know what they're doing.

I'd like to think there is plans to release a "masterpiece quality" version of the movie TF's, but those things seem to take ages to be released and I can't see them getting priority over the classic G1 versions. Still, an alternator quality version would be good.

the classic are leaps and bounds ahead of these things. Megatron looks like a happy meal toy.

Megs is a mini version which I have to assume is for a happy meal of some sort...so was the mini optimus and barricade.

I....I....man I dunno what the heck that thing is, it looks like something puked out by a man eating monster.....mixed with tar...

Dear lord it get worse and worse.
Those remind me of giant flying fists. I wish they were flying straight towards Michael Bay's face.

WTF happened to transformers? I want metal and plastic transformers. These toys look like garbage.

Yeah I know we got a Products forum, but I think since we are discussing Toys based on this movie it may have certain Spoilers that others may not wish to know.

So, anyway, what's the word on the Toys?

When are they coming out? Like May, June?

And, if there are leaks of what they gonna look like yet?

not to nitpick but there's already a thread in the spoilers forum about the toys.
http://superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253984

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"