MovieFlash:How can it be Unique from the Tv show?

WBwins

Sidekick
Reaction score
How can the movie be excellent and yet be drastically different from the tv flash?How can it avoid feeling like a Rehash?Post your ideas and thoughts

Lightning/sparks continues to crackle off his body after he runs at certain speeds.

Considering the tv show only has a few million viewers, I dont think it's something they need to concern themselves with.

However, I do think they need to differentiate from other CBMs, most specifically TASM3.

I think the way to do this is with throwing in talking gorillas, time travel, a mindblowing Flash/Reverse Flash battle, the Rogues bar, and a very very energetic pace/tone. Most of these elements arent terribly unique individually, but all of them together in one movie is.

Just dont go the standard Gl route, with a long origin story, a romance, and single villain origin, especially since Flash's villains arent very unique on their own.

Last edited:
Considering the tv show only has a few million viewers, I dont think it's something they need to concern themselves with.

I dont think its okay for them to recycle the tv show just with better effects.Its unimaginative and whats the piont if its just the same?And timetravel,talking gorrillas etc are azll gonna be addressed in the tv series.

So how can the Flash movie be unique?

I dont think its okay for them to recycle the tv show just with better effects.Its unimaginative and whats the piont if its just the same?And timetravel,talking gorrillas etc are azll gonna be addressed in the tv series.

By being turned into a typical Zac Snyder character?

Its unimaginative and whats the piont if its just the same?

The point is to make money. I think the filmmakers have to think about the 30 million people watching the movie, instead of just making it different for the sake of the 3 million watching the show (who are going to watch the movie regardless).

And timetravel,talking gorrillas etc are azll gonna be addressed in the tv series.

As far as how it can be unique, I suggested taking all those elements and putting them together with a more over-the-top energetic tone. Basically a little more Lego Movie / Scott Pilgram, and a little less Spider-Man.

Last edited:
The point is to make money. I think the filmmakers have to think about the 30 million people watching the movie, instead of just making it different for the sake of the 3 million watching the show (who are going to watch the movie regardless).

Thats not counting those who watch it on different channels than CW,will watch it on DVD.

Breaking bad had a maximum of 12 million who watched it live but the amount of people who have seen the show is significantly higher

And yes it is unimaginative to rehash the tv show-and piontless when they deliberately made the choice not to include it in the cinematic version
As far as how it can be unique, I suggested taking all those elements and putting them together with a more over-the-top energetic tone. Basically a little more Lego Movie / Scott Pilgram, and a little less Spider-Man.
Cld work

Very simple: Genre and tone. The flash should not be treated as a superhero movie. It should be treated as an 80s action cop movie with sic-fi elements and some humor. They should be looking to Lethal Weapon and Hot Fuzz for inspiration, not The Dark Knight or Man of Steel.

Very simple: Genre and tone. The flash should not be treated as a superhero movie. It should be treated as an 80s action cop movie with sic-fi elements and some humor. They should be looking to Lethal Weapon and Hot Fuzz for inspiration, not The Dark Knight or Man of Steel.
If Lethal Weapon, then 48 Hours too!! Maybe even Hill/Spencer flics of that era, just for the sake of the humor.
Then remove the "cop" part... I got to think about typical 80s comedies that crosses the line to supernatural genres: Back to the future and Ghostbusters.

Set it completely in the Future.Always felt Central city should be futuristic
Flash can timetravel to the present when he needs to team up with the League.

I mean, this is pretty simple.

Don't tell the same story as the TV show the same way and have a different tone.

Different tone and not have it have similarities to the TV show as much.

I mean, this is pretty simple.

Don't tell the same story as the TV show the same way and have a different tone.

Pretty much what Im asking.How can they?A lot of the basics will still be the same

Set it completely in the Future.Always felt Central city should be futuristic
Flash can timetravel to the present when he needs to team up with the League.

My idea is for a Bart Allen Flash movie set in the the Future.It would be as different as Batman beyond from Batman.

This.

Instead of his STAR Labs supporting cast give him Patty Spivot, James Forrest, Captain Frye and the rest of his comic book precinct supporting cast in the movie. bad place even throw a newer Flash cop character like David Singh in there and his background with Pied Piper if you want. Instead of dealing with a Barry who's mom was murdered like it's been since Flash Rebirth throw in some pre-crisis influences with both his parents still being alive and well.

It would be refreshing to have a superhero on the screen who could actually go back and visit a parent for a change. In the DCCU that would make him the only one next to Wonder Woman & Superman capable of doing that.

To tell you the truth there are many more things you can do to differentiate it from the TV show greatly but still keep it very much within the same DNA (Barry Allen/The Flash). They have over 50 years of comic books that they could mine influences from. That's the strength of DC. Their characters are so malleable you could always do a "faithful interpretation" regardless of the approach. It's why you would be able to have a Flash TV show and movie co-existing in the first place without ever cancelling each other out.

This.

Instead of his STAR Labs supporting cast give him Patty Spivot, James Forrest, Captain Frye and the rest of his comic book precinct supporting cast in the movie. bad place even throw a newer Flash cop character like David Singh in there and his background with Pied Piper if you want. Instead of dealing with a Barry who's mom was murdered like it's been since Flash Rebirth throw in some pre-crisis influences with both his parents still being alive and well.

It would be refreshing to have a superhero on the screen who could actually go back and visit a parent for a change. In the DCCU that would make him the only one next to Wonder Woman & Superman capable of doing that.

To tell you the truth there are many more things you can do to differentiate it from the TV show greatly but still keep it very much within the same DNA (Barry Allen/The Flash). They have over 50 years of comic books that they could mine influences from. That's the strength of DC. Their characters are so malleable you could always do a "faithful interpretation" regardless of the approach. It's why you would be able to have a Flash TV show and movie co-existing in the first place without ever cancelling each other out.
Not a fan of another Barry allen flash but this is a VERY good idea

However, I do think they need to differentiate from other CBMs, most specifically TASM3.

I think the way to do this is with throwing in talking gorillas, time travel, a mindblowing Flash/Reverse Flash battle, the Rogues bar, and a very very energetic pace/tone. Most of these elements arent terribly unique individually, but all of them together in one movie is.

Just dont go the standard Gl route, with a long origin story, a romance, and single villain origin, especially since Flash's villains arent very unique on their own.
Agreed!! The Flash movie can throw in everything into one story. The story could move at breakneck speed and that wouldn't be out of character!

Talking Gorillas, time travel and the Rogues Bar in one movie sounds ****ing awesome!!

well thats just like Gotham different form Batman trio, Agents of shield different from Avengers, Holmes different from Holmes etc.

The show has 4 million viewers now (will probably settle around 3-3.5 million) and might not even be on air when the movie Flash has his movie.

Movie Flash will be different for the pure fact that there will be different people working on it. It's pretty simple

Pretty much what Im asking.How can they?A lot of the basics will still be the same

Well, just based on the current series and what it has done with the Flash mythos:

-A much darker tone. Have Barry be far more involved in more complex murder/serial killer type cases.

-Don't use the "My mom was murdered" storyline. There are other ways to bring his enemies into play.

-Don't have Barry work at Star Labs or with a team, have him be more a solo vigilante discovering his powers on his own, perhaps include Jay Garrick.

-No initial connection to Green Arrow.

-No Joe West

-No Harrison Wells.

-Use villains that are a lot more fully formed and less "SMALLVILLE".

The show will probably introduce the Flash Museum, time travel, the speed force, etc eventually, but its all in how its utilized. Basically they can take the best elements from the comics and the TV series and present them differently.

It's really not that complicated.

Last edited:
How can the movie be excellent and yet be drastically different from the tv flash?How can it avoid feeling like a Rehash?Post your ideas and thoughts

Wally West is the simplest answer.

Why is this a problem? There's not a lot of people who watch the Flash TV show.

Part of me wants to see his costume pop out of his ring then attach to his body when he runs. :)

I think that a big thing is to just have Barry on his own. No need for the STAR LABS pit crew characters. Make it that Barry is capable of doing this all on his own. He already has most of the scientific background to figure things out on his own or research things if need be. That alone frees up the character to be closer to what we expect of Barry. That can also play into the League. He's doing his thing all on his own, keeping Central City on an even keel solo. Finally he meets people he can share with in Supes, Bats, WW and GL (Zod willing that GL is there for the League in part one or part two. Frankly the rumors going around should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. But... I know that sage advice will be ignored)

As unfortunate as this is, I agree that they'll have to either ignore or downplay the murdered mother storyline. The show has made such a big deal about his crusade to find the cause of his mother's death while proving the innocence of Henry that it'll feel like a retread if they have that as the central focus of the film.

I really like that storyline because of the depth it adds to Barry's character, but I do think that they'll need to take a different angle. Maybe take a cue from the New 52 series and start him out on a discover path of his abilities. The New 52 didn't really belabor the point that his mother was murdered and he's on a quest to find out why at the beginning. I don't think his mother really became an object of focus until the Keystone Killer arc around issues 26 or 27.

The movies should start with his early days and follow his discovery of his abilities to channel this mysterious Speed Force (something that the show has yet to even make reference to). Treat the SF as an enigmatic energy that's touching every part of his world, and you're on the right track to reintroducing the character in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"