Movies You Were WAAYY Too Young For

redhawk23

Wrestlin'
Reaction score
I place little stock in MPAA ratings. I think they greatly compromise directors and studios in what they are commercially able to produce, and I think most of their criteria is bunk. However, I do not think that you should let the youngans watch whatever they want. I'm not talking so much about the occasional horror film, because admittedly that age is when they are most effective. But there are some things thematically or subject matter wise that kids do not need to watch because they simply wont understand them. I think there is far too much focus on how impressionable kids are, and I don't think we give them enough credit, but I still don't think they need to see everything.

What brought this to mind was last night I was watching the trailer for Darren Aranofsky's Black Swan, and as I started thinking about his films, I realised that, at most I was probably about 10 the first time I saw Requiem for a Dream. I don't remember being that young at the time, but I started to think when the home video release of that movie would have been and I was either 10 or 11 at the time. My older brother had admittably horrible judgement when letting me watch that. Also though now that I think about it he would have been only 14 at the time. Better than 10 but still young.

Now I am in no way a heroin junkie or in anyway associated with that crowd, so the movie did not have negative effects on me in that respect, but still even now when I watch the film or clips, that movie is deeply disturbing and depressing.

Requiem for a Dream is one example that comes to mind but there were numerous other occasions when my dad would rent movies for my brother and I to watch, remembering that he thought they were awesome, but not quite the details, like Phantasm, good movie, but suprise suprise, starts right off the bat with a sex scene in a cemetary. Good family entertainment lol.

My parents would take my brother and I to R-rated movies I guess my family being hispanic they weren't really uptight over gory or profane language, they would cover our eyes from drug use on screen though.

The Howling at 5
Scarface at 7
Porkey's Revenge at 9

Blondie
an x rated adult movie i saw when i was around 11
Big deal

I remember enjoying films various horror franchises, including A Nightmare on Elm Street, Child's Play and Halloween, when I was as young as 4 or 5. I remember Robocop being one of my first favorite live action movies.

Robocop was the first movie I’d ever seen that had people getting shot and people using the “f-word”. I was shocked. I don’t remember how old I was though.

I was too young for Bruno too…and I was 34 when it came out.

There are many that I was, but my parents explained all in context. I was super young when watching Aliens, T2, Robocop Total Recall. Back in the late 80's and early 90's.

But I remember one film that we thought would not be that scary (it was PG) was Poltergeist. lol. That still gives me the creeps. Especially the sink sequence.

i watched alien,aliens,T1.T2,robocop,..... when i was a kid. i enjoyed them and was somtimes Scared.

i am not violent and have no problems.

Last edited:
But I remember one film that we thought would not be that scary (it was PG) was Poltergeist. lol. That still gives me the creeps. Especially the sink sequence.
thanks for this. i now remember.i was more scared when i watched Poltergeist then when i watched R rated movies like Alien,....

i think because in Poltergeis its in a normal house with a normal family and kids. it feels like something could happen to you when you are a kid.

Off the top of my head I would have to say Robocop. Extreme violence, nudity and drug use.

I saw Aliens and The Last House on the Left when I was around 12-13, not to mention all those other 80's slasher films with gore & nudity around that age. :awesome:

My cousin and I wanted to see a movie, at the time, our town had one theater with 2 screens. It's an old school place, so it just had the names on the marquees, no rating, nothing.

We were 12, and we sat through "The Crying Game"....

This was the face I had at the end of it. :eek::confused:

I saw most of It when I was 4.I was terrified of clowns my entire childhood.

i watched alien,aliens,T1.T2.robocop,..... when i was a kid. i enjoyed them and was somtimes cared.

i am not violent and have no problems.
Funny thing about Robocop I saw it while I was living in Ecuador at age 11 and the theaters there mostly have strict rules not letting in minors to R-rated movies even with parental guardians but they let me in anyway with a parent.

Which was funny because they wouldn't let me in with a guardian when Temple Of Doom came out earlier.

Pulp Fiction in the theater when I was six.

I guess T2 when I was 7 or so. The violence bothered me and Linda Hamilton scared me.

House on Haunted Hill when I was 12, freaked me out ALOT.

Can't think of anything along the lines of Requiem for a Dream... I didn't start digging into stuff like that until I was about 18, and was actually looking for weird depressing stuff!

There are alot I'm sure, but the two that really stick out are Frailty and Hannibal. For some reason I really wanted to see those two when I was younger. I could stomach Frailty the whole way through, but Hannibal.... :eek:

I still can't watch the scene where Hopkins cuts into Liotta's head and eats his brain. I mean **** man....

Red Dragon (Yes the one with Edward Norton)

Anthony Hopkins used to scare the **** out of me. :woot:

I still can't watch the scene where Hopkins cuts into Liotta's head and eats his brain. I mean **** man....

That scene I was surprisingly okay with. The scenes with Gary Oldman.... not so much.

None. I didn't see any R-rated movies in full until I was about 15.

That scene I was surprisingly okay with. The scenes with Gary Oldman.... not so much.

Oh, I didn't even know that was Gary Oldman for a while. :woot:

Yeah, him as Mercer was terrifying to look at. He made me sick to my stomach.

But Liotta was still conscious while he was eating his brain. I mean christ. We saw it and everything. :dry:

I've been watching R-rated films since before I was a year old, I think. I grew up watching movies like the Friday The 13th and Nightmare On Elm Street films, and also movies like Aliens, Predator, Terminator, Die Hard, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"